The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by JasonL » 10 Oct 2017, 14:03

That's more like it

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 13 Oct 2017, 17:11

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 Oct 2017, 17:32

I happened to see some of SNL last night. Talk about hot garbage. 4 or 5 skits and not a single good laugh.

I also watched the remainder of season 3 of Rick and Morty. Overall, quite a few good moments and great jokes, but not as good as season 2. The increased emphasis on Summer was a big meh.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

JD

Post by JD » 16 Oct 2017, 13:22

Tried watching a bit of Lore, Amazon's new "factually-based" horror series. It's interesting but not great. The minor stuff first: the narrator has this really weird prosody and intonation. I mean, he sounds like Stephen Hawking doing a William Shatner impression. Also, the structure and pacing of episodes can be really strange. They'll start doing one story, then suddenly do a barely-related side bit.

But more than that, the show just gets really dark and depressing sometimes. I know, it's a horror show, but when you're doing a real historical episode I think it requires a slightly different touch than if you were doing a purely fictional horror story, because without a proper arc, the story becomes just a recitation of unpleasant facts.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Oct 2017, 14:02

Baby Driver is a really good movie, but not for what usually makes a movie good. The plot and story goes completely off the rails and blows up. But the look and sound of the thing is astonishing the first time you experience it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Oct 2017, 14:40

JD wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 13:22
because without a proper arc, the story becomes just a recitation of unpleasant facts.
Hmm, where have I encountered that before...

*looks at stack of police reports on desk*

Oh, right.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 20 Oct 2017, 05:30

Despite some flab (resulting in a couple of weak scenes), The Fabulous Baker Boys was a good movie.

Jeff Bridges was good, as he usually is, and Michelle Pfeiffer put in one her best performances.

Not available to stream anywhere, nor on blu-ray.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 20 Oct 2017, 06:36

Anthony Perkins is the least convincing heterosexual in film history.

On the Beach was worth watching, but a lot of it dragged, and it was rendered irrelevant by Dr. Strangelove.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 20 Oct 2017, 08:07

I haven't seen the new Blade Runner movie, but Dan Stevens should've been in it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Oct 2017, 09:44

dbcooper wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 05:30
Despite some flab (resulting in a couple of weak scenes), The Fabulous Baker Boys was a good movie.

Jeff Bridges was good, as he usually is, and Michelle Pfeiffer put in one her best performances.

Not available to stream anywhere, nor on blu-ray.
I'd go as far as exceptionally good. The garage scene pay-off was deeply satisfying.

I should do a Michelle Pfeiffer knight. She I didn't take special notice of her at the time but she turned in some great work.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 20 Oct 2017, 10:16

dbcooper wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 06:36
Anthony Perkins is the least convincing heterosexual in film history.

On the Beach was worth watching, but a lot of it dragged, and it was rendered irrelevant by Dr. Strangelove.
Yeah. All I could think of is all of the mines they've got in Australia.

It may be the first instance on film of Australians doing insane shit with cars.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 20 Oct 2017, 17:12

dbcooper wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 06:36

It was on tv last week and I watched the first half hour or so. I found it uncompelling.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 20 Oct 2017, 17:14

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 10:16

It may be the first instance on film of Australians doing insane shit with cars.
And lest anyone think this is mostly about Road Warrior, The Cars that Ate Paris is awesome.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 25 Oct 2017, 23:17

Absolute worst take going around at the moment is "Blade Runner 2049's woman problem: all the female replicants are sex objects to be exploited." Because a dystopian future society is going to create sexy female flesh-robots to respect and nurture, you cretinous enemies of art.

Those people should be sold to ISIS.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 25 Oct 2017, 23:31

dbcooper wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 23:17
Absolute worst take going around at the moment is "Blade Runner 2049's woman problem: all the female replicants are sex objects to be exploited." Because a dystopian future society is going to create sexy female flesh-robots to respect and nurture, you cretinous enemies of art.

What did ISIS ever do to deserve that?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Oct 2017, 23:36

dbcooper wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 23:17

Not to mention that the female replicants actually include a ruthless enforcer, a talented artist/engineer, and a resistance leader. And the replicant who's explicitly marketed for companionship can't even provide sexual pleasure, and one of her goals is to take control of her own destiny.

I think they should just write a generic "This movie is sexist" essay and keep re-posting it after each and every Hollywood release.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Oct 2017, 10:11

That's literally the point AAAAHHHHH!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Oct 2017, 14:51

I enjoyed last night's South Park -- Randy and the other guys dress up as witches to get drunk and smoke crack, then one of them turns into a real witch flying through the sky, kidnapping children and setting homes on fire. So Randy and his friends still dress up as witches and smoke crack, while getting very offended that people associate them with the bad witch, and ultimately, President Garrison Trump uses his POTUS power to take out the bad witch because he also is a secret witch, and fear the kidnapping witch will make ALL witches look bad.

I figured it was their parody of white supremacy (except that South Park's POTUS actually does something about the overtly bad ones, even if he only does so for selfish reasons), even to the point that their black witch costumes and pointy hats could be seen as a mirror image of white Klan robes with pointy hoods. And there were other ways the "good witches" were treated similar to current batch of open white supremacists -- such as, when the bad witch started kidnapping kids and setting fires, the city closed its parks, which infuriated the "good witches" who wanted to use those parks to meet up and smoke crack.

So anyway, I'm watching this episode and enjoying the weird way SP handled the current white supremacy trends in the country -- except that when I read various reviews and critiques of the episode, they all say it actually is a parody of Harvey Weinstein, with the "good witches" presumably meant to stand in for "good Hollywood executives."

I gotta say, I do not see that at all.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Oct 2017, 16:10

I didn't much like it. And whatever it was supposed to be a metaphor of was opaque. Kind of a mess.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Oct 2017, 19:44

Just watched the prototype in Robocop blow away Mr. Kinney. Weller is about to encounter the dad from That 70s Show.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Oct 2017, 20:11

the innominate one wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 19:44
Just watched the prototype in Robocop blow away Mr. Kinney. Weller is about to encounter the dad from That 70s Show.
The Tigers a playint To-Night! I never miss a game.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 26 Oct 2017, 23:03

I watched Planet of the Vampires, a 1965 Mario Bava film. It's nowhere near as good as Black Sunday or Black Sabbath (which is really, really good, and yes, is the source of the band's name), but it is interesting. It basically looks a like a really pretty Star Trek episode (an extremely tiny budget) with some pretty clever no-budget practical special effects. The thing that's interesting is how much Alien and, to a lesser extent, the Thing are ripped off from it, both story-wise and, with respect to Alien, the visuals. The visual parallels with Alien are so striking that it would be accurate to describe it as the planet from Alien done in TOS style (plus some Italian color love). Also even more weirdly, maybe it's the basis for Thetans in Scientology?
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 26 Oct 2017, 23:21

Black Sunday, based on the Thomas Harris novel? Is the movie adaptation any good?

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 26 Oct 2017, 23:31

the innominate one wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 23:21
Black Sunday, based on the Thomas Harris novel? Is the movie adaptation any good?
No, no relation. This is an Italian horror movie from 1960.

I haven't seen the other, though I have always wanted to. Also, it gave rise to my favorite Gingrich tweet: