The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Shem

The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Shem » 12 Jan 2012, 04:00

1) Because 91 pages is enough

2) Because everyone complains about megathreads, but nobody does anything about it.

3) And, most importantly, because that botched Duckman quote has been bugging the hell out of me since May of 2010.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

dbcooper

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by dbcooper » 12 Jan 2012, 04:52

Am watching episode 4 of Game of Thrones. I can't really muster much enthusiasm for it as every time I become interested it cuts to another location and completely different characters.

Fuck it, I need a drink.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jan 2012, 08:24

dbcooper wrote:Am watching episode 4 of Game of Thrones. I can't really muster much enthusiasm for it as every time I become interested it cuts to another location and completely different characters.

Fuck it, I need a drink.
I liked it a lot. But you might want to stop now. I understand season 2 will introduce new characters and take place in entirely new locations.

ETA
Because I botched the quote, For Shem:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Jan 2012, 08:38

I had a glass of whiskey and ended up enjoying the episode.

I figure that I'll be watching 2 or 3 episodes at a time while knocking back a sixer.

Jake

Post by Jake » 12 Jan 2012, 12:16

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.

I cannot recommend this enough. If you enjoy slasher movies, watch it. If you don't enjoy slasher movies, but have ever seen one, watch it. If you've never seen slasher movies but are familiar with the standard tropes, watch it. If you're not in any of those categories, watch it anyway.

Don't watch the previews, though, 'cause they give away too much of the plot. It's more fun to go in without any expectations.

(NOTE: My execrable taste in music does not mean that my taste in movies is in any way deficient.)
"Quis pimpodiet ipsos pimpodes?" -- Ellie

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Jan 2012, 14:49

lunchstealer wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:I didn't have exceedingly high hopes for The Sorcerer's Apprentice, but it feels like it was written by a vanity novelist and directed by a committee of marketing executives. Even for a Disney movie it was crass and insulting.
It was a piece of crap, but it featured one thing that especially irritates me: It attempted to give a pseudo-scientific explanation for "magic".

I don't mind fantasy when it is well done, but only the worst fantasy stories attempt to make the magic "scientific". Just play the fantasy straight. I can suspend my disbelief for 140 minutes, but if you insist on insulting my intelligence, I am not going to buy your over-priced popcorn.
Hence my hate for Midichlorians.
THANK you.

Also, I've never even heard of Duckman. Is it any good? To be honest, from the clip Warren posted, it looks like crap.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 12 Jan 2012, 14:53

Jake wrote:Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.

I cannot recommend this enough. If you enjoy slasher movies, watch it. If you don't enjoy slasher movies, but have ever seen one, watch it. If you've never seen slasher movies but are familiar with the standard tropes, watch it. If you're not in any of those categories, watch it anyway.

Don't watch the previews, though, 'cause they give away too much of the plot. It's more fun to go in without any expectations.

(NOTE: My execrable taste in music does not mean that my taste in movies is in any way deficient.)
I agree with this. I watched that one in the Ambulance station having never even heard of it. It's not deep, or great art, but it's absurdly fun.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Jan 2012, 15:07

the innominate one wrote:Also, I've never even heard of Duckman. Is it any good? To be honest, from the clip Warren posted, it looks like crap.
Some of Duckman is good, some is utter crap. Generally, the earlier the episode, the better. I remember liking it when it was new, and I discovered it by accident while channel-surfing at a friend's house (he had cable); of course, back then, the whole "Wow, it's a cartoon, but it's intended for adults, and it's a lot sharper and ruder than the Simpsons" thing was still pretty rare, at least to me, so I suppose my standards then were lower. It's done by the people who drew Rugrats (which was actually pretty good the first season or two, before it got Cousin Oliver syndrome and started padding the cast with new characters).

But I remember telling a friend of mine about Duckman and urging her to watch it, and the next time an episode aired -- the episode my friend presumably watched for the first time -- the episode that night was a BIG STEAMING PILE OF CRAP with a plot lifted straight from a pretentious vanity novel: a heavy-handed allegory about various early-90s stock-character people like "Former Hippie Turned Greedy Corporate Sellout" who are trying to Find America (America is a beautiful woman who is not getting the respect and protection she deserves, and everyone is very sad and lonely without her), and it ended with everyone holding hands and straddling the globe while singing some crappy-inspirational song about how "We Are There" whenever something-or-other happens. We are theeeeeeere... we are theeeeeere...

Grr. End rant. I'm still annoyed to remember how utterly embarrassed I was when I watched that episode and thought "Oh my God, my friend's gonna think I think THIS is edgy shit?"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Jan 2012, 15:13

Bleah. Just found it. Episode titled "America the Beautiful," and the putrid hideous song starts at 18:15.

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Jan 2012, 16:11

the innominate one wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:I didn't have exceedingly high hopes for The Sorcerer's Apprentice, but it feels like it was written by a vanity novelist and directed by a committee of marketing executives. Even for a Disney movie it was crass and insulting.
It was a piece of crap, but it featured one thing that especially irritates me: It attempted to give a pseudo-scientific explanation for "magic".

I don't mind fantasy when it is well done, but only the worst fantasy stories attempt to make the magic "scientific". Just play the fantasy straight. I can suspend my disbelief for 140 minutes, but if you insist on insulting my intelligence, I am not going to buy your over-priced popcorn.
Hence my hate for Midichlorians.
THANK you.

Also, I've never even heard of Duckman. Is it any good? To be honest, from the clip Warren posted, it looks like crap.
I used to watch it about 14 years ago (haven't seen it since) and liked it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jan 2012, 16:46

Duckman was exceptional. The main feature was the density of dialog. You had to keep focused because of the sheer volume of words. Every episode had a plot, but that was besides the point. The quality of the show was in it's rapid-fire delivery of crass sharp wit. It burned bright and died young.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Jan 2012, 18:59

Threw on Season 2 of Ally McBeal because I've been listening to the audiobook of Portia de Rossi's memoir, and a lot of it takes place while she's working on the show. Jesus Fuck, this thing is a piece of shit.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jan 2012, 19:14

Ellie wrote:Threw on Season 2 of Ally McBeal because I've been listening to the audiobook of Portia de Rossi's memoir, and a lot of it takes place while she's working on the show. Jesus Fuck, this thing is a piece of shit.
I don't know why this tickles me so.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Jan 2012, 21:38

How many times are we going to be treated to the "salacious conversation in the unisex bathroom" -- "coworker emerges from a stall" -- "shocked faces and sad trombone" riff? Do these lawyers all have anterograde amnesia? Can't they find someplace else to gossip? Why are all these anorexic over-lipsticked women competing for leading men who look like off-brand Muppets? What endangered species is roosting on Jane Krakowski's head? Why won't Calista Flockhart stop staring at me? What mass hysteria gripped us all in the 90s to make this such a popular show?
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 12 Jan 2012, 23:15

So while I was watching Full Metal Jacket, I started to wonder why most Viet Nam movies are little more than collections of artfully-shot tableaux about how war is hell that makes animals of men. I can think of two movies about Viet Nam off the top of my head that had something like a traditional story arc: Good Morning Viet Nam and Tropic Thunder. Is it just that Viet Nam doesn't lend itself to straightforward storytelling because protagonists are always getting shot by snipers in the middle of a character building moment? I haven't seen many klassic WWII movies, so I don't know if this is a thing with all war movies or just ones that take place in SE Asia.

Still, the bit with the Mickey Mouse Club theme was super creepy.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Jan 2012, 23:42

Vietnam has 3 confounding factors that make it different from prior wars that are frequently the subject of movies. (1) It wasn't a war between two (or more) great powers going toe to toe. (2) It wasn't a "good" or even goodish war (3) We didn't win. It's probably due to a mix of those factors. Though a lot of that fits the GWOT and a lot of those are an artfully-shot tableaux about how war is hell that makes animals of men.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 12 Jan 2012, 23:45

Hugh Akston wrote:So while I was watching Full Metal Jacket, I started to wonder why most Viet Nam movies are little more than collections of artfully-shot tableaux about how war is hell that makes animals of men. I can think of two movies about Viet Nam off the top of my head that had something like a traditional story arc: Good Morning Viet Nam and Tropic Thunder. Is it just that Viet Nam doesn't lend itself to straightforward storytelling because protagonists are always getting shot by snipers in the middle of a character building moment? I haven't seen many klassic WWII movies, so I don't know if this is a thing with all war movies or just ones that take place in SE Asia.

Still, the bit with the Mickey Mouse Club theme was super creepy.
They didn't have Nazis. You need Nazis to make a more straightforward war movie.

Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Jan 2012, 14:50

Didn't Vietnam also have a ting where US soldiers were rotated out at the end of a year or so? I remember reading how that was very bad for troop morale/unit cohesion, and probably makes it harder to write a story when you have to keep changing the characters all the time.

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 13 Jan 2012, 15:02

Jennifer wrote:Didn't Vietnam also have a ting where US soldiers were rotated out at the end of a year or so? I remember reading how that was very bad for troop morale/unit cohesion, and probably makes it harder to write a story when you have to keep changing the characters all the time.
Almost all wars have had rotations. WWII just had rotations that went from "The Front" to "The Rear". The Nam had people actually going back to the United States.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Shem

Post by Shem » 13 Jan 2012, 15:04

Jennifer wrote:Didn't Vietnam also have a ting where US soldiers were rotated out at the end of a year or so? I remember reading how that was very bad for troop morale/unit cohesion, and probably makes it harder to write a story when you have to keep changing the characters all the time.
How often do the events of a movie take place over that long a stretch of time, though?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Jan 2012, 15:05

Almost all wars have had rotations. WWII just had rotations that went from "The Front" to "The Rear". The Nam had people actually going back to the United States.
Yeah, but I thought the problem with Vietnam wasn't "the entire unit gets rotated from here to there," but "individuals were rotated out of their units, thus breaking up the units, thus causing problems."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 Jan 2012, 15:43

The main differences in war movies over the years is probably just evolution in the business side of films. WW2 itself, of course, was specifically propaganda, but it also represented the height of the studio system. This in turn carried on into the late 50's early 60's, where you could still get a big enemble cast together for a 'modest' movie and make it popular profitable. By the 70's, that had completely gone away, with Tora Tora Tora (and the excreable sequel Midway) and possibly Patton being the last of the breed. (with Patton a little bit, and moreso, Kelly's Heroes, and much moreso MASH, being the transition to, one could call a 'skeptical' kind of war filmaking). All the movies in the 70's and 80's bascially continued this 'skeptical' trend, and then the 90's brought the Bay-ness EXPLOSIONS to be the star of war films, so then you got Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, etc, with Three Kings being an outlier for a 'skeptical' war film. There has yet to be a decent film of this past decades wars (though I haven't seen The Green Zone). (There are lots of good non-fiction documentaries, though)

(little edit about EXPLOSIONS)

edit 2: Vietnam had really really young draftees (by the standards of the 20th century) that were drafted for too short of a time to go through decent training before being dropped in the war zone. (which wasn't even close to the only problem with Vietnan, but it played a part)
last edit: oops, that's not what the Vietnam rotation comment was about.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 13 Jan 2012, 15:50

It's been a while since I watched it, but doesn't Platoon have something like a story arc?

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 13 Jan 2012, 15:56

Kolohe wrote:There has yet to be a decent film of this past decades wars (though I haven't seen The Green Zone). (There are lots of good non-fiction documentaries, though)
Was Hurt Locker that bad?
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 13 Jan 2012, 15:59

Generation Kill was bloody good.

American TV >> American Film.

ps. Showed my dad some Deadwood - he is hooked.