The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Warren » 09 Apr 2018, 21:17

Kwix wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 20:56
It seems that many things I lay out in jest have been taken rather seriously by members of the forum of late.
To do: Cancel "special delivery" on Kwix.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Apr 2018, 02:40

Kwix wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 20:56
Eric the .5b wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 17:54
Kwix wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 17:21
As Andrew mentioned you're wrong to call them pilsners*.
As I already said, in the very bit you quoted, I don't give a fuck that "the beer nerds" think I'm wrong on the matter.
I know you don't give a shit, you spelled that out quite clearly.
Hmm, perhaps I should seed my comments with more /sarc tags or emojis. It seems that many things I lay out in jest have been taken rather seriously by members of the forum of late.
I don't think it would make repeating something I've already addressed less annoying.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 10 Apr 2018, 11:46

Invincible Armour picks up near the end. The gimmick of the invincible armour technique is that of the 183 (or whatever) pressure points on the human body, the practitioner can make all of them invulnerable except for one of his choosing, which he must leave open for chi flow or something. There's a funny scene in which two masters are fighting, and the good-guy master, after many fruitless strikes, says, "I'm narrowing it down! I know you must have one vulnerable spot!" and the bad-guy master gets a scared look on his face and covers his crotch. Then of course during the fight the good master manages to grab the evil master's crotch...but it turns out the evil master was faking him out! (Then later in the movie there's a double fakeout involving the same concept, but it's confusing and doesn't work as well.)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 12 Apr 2018, 15:24

Watched Master of the Flying Guillotine (aka The One Armed Boxer vs. the Flying Guillotine). It's pretty thin on plot, but good goofy fun (like the Indian fighter with the extensible arms). Supposed to be one of Tarantino's favorites. For some reason the dubbing kept dropping out when I was watching, leaving me listening to Chinese. I have no idea if that was intentional or not but it just added to the weirdness.

Then watched a tiny bit of The Deadly Mantis (the kung fu movie, not the US monster movie); not enough to really render any judgement yet but it's always interesting to watch very distinct styles like northern praying mantis.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Apr 2018, 16:53

Since you're mentioning kung fu movies, I was wondering if you'd watched Chocolate, which I just heard about recently.

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2018, 11:20

Highway wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 16:53
Since you're mentioning kung fu movies, I was wondering if you'd watched Chocolate, which I just heard about recently.

A special needs girl. With a special need...
To Kick Some Ass!
lol
No wires. No stunt doubles.
Oh yeah?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Apr 2018, 10:35

Death of Stalin is pretty good, although from it you could get the impression that everybody but Beria wasn't that bad, which is false, although Beria was much worse.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Apr 2018, 10:51

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:35
Death of Stalin is pretty good, although from it you could get the impression that everybody but Beria wasn't that bad, which is false, although Beria was much worse.
I noticed that. Khrushchev in particular was 'niced up'. The movie isn't unique in this, a lot of people ignore Khrushchev's role in the Ukraine and he is 'credited' with building the Moscow subway, ignoring the fact that the Moscow subway was built with slave labor and a cost in human life that made the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire pale in comparison.

TBS, the movie did capture the viciousness of the infighting pretty clearly.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Apr 2018, 14:09

Aresen wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:51
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:35
I noticed that. Khrushchev in particular was 'niced up'. The movie isn't unique in this, a lot of people ignore Khrushchev's role in the Ukraine and he is 'credited' with building the Moscow subway, ignoring the fact that the Moscow subway was built with slave labor and a cost in human life that made the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire pale in comparison.

TBS, the movie did capture the viciousness of the infighting pretty clearly.
Well it's not like it's trying to pass itself off as a docudrama.
My problem with tDoS is like the opposite, in that it hews too close to the truth. One officer carrying out his orders to kill all the witnesses, himself being killed by another officer the moment it's accomplished, is a funny site gag. But I can only get half way through a chuckle before I'm all like 'Oh wait. That's not funny."
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Apr 2018, 15:23

As the old saying goes, dying is easy, comedy is hard.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 Apr 2018, 15:27

I've been enjoying the show "Black Lightning" on the CW network, though I say that as someone who had no prior knowledge of the actual comic book character. (Were I familiar with the book, perhaps I would currently be filled with Comic Book Guy-style nerdrage.) I think right now there's only one episode left in this season; no idea if it's been renewed for a second.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Apr 2018, 13:26

Jennifer wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 15:27
I've been enjoying the show "Black Lightning" on the CW network, though I say that as someone who had no prior knowledge of the actual comic book character. (Were I familiar with the book, perhaps I would currently be filled with Comic Book Guy-style nerdrage.) I think right now there's only one episode left in this season; no idea if it's been renewed for a second.
I hear pretty uniformly good things about that one.

(I actually know next to nothing about the original character, because he's a minor DC character who's been retconned and reworked a silly number of times, and my deep cut comic guy knowledge runs more Marvel. I remember that he showed up onThe Superfriends as "Black Vulcan" and so got used on Harvey Birdman. He apparently had two brief runs in his own title in the 70 and 90s, both times right before mass cancellations of minor titles by DC.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Apr 2018, 14:46

Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 13:26
Jennifer wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 15:27
I hear pretty uniformly good things about that one.

(I actually know next to nothing about the original character, because he's a minor DC character who's been retconned and reworked a silly number of times, and my deep cut comic guy knowledge runs more Marvel. I remember that he showed up onThe Superfriends as "Black Vulcan" and so got used on Harvey Birdman. He apparently had two brief runs in his own title in the 70 and 90s, both times right before mass cancellations of minor titles by DC.)
The thing that sets it apart (for me) from other superhero shows and movies I've watched is the "realism" -- obviously, the whole "people have superpowers and here's how they got them" storyline is utterly fantastic, but -- the non-superhero parts are about an upper-middle-class black family which does indeed enjoy all the economic benefits of upper-middle-classhood .... and the indignities of being black in America today. First episode (IIRC) had a scene where Jefferson (respected charter-school principal by day, electric superhero by night) is pulled over and treated shabbily by cops, because a black man who looked absolutely nothing like him, driving a vehicle which looked nothing like his, committed a crime nearby. (And America's bigotry against black people plays a major role in the whole "superpowers" story, too.)

One weird thing for me, as a new-ish resident of the Atlanta area, is seeing the local skyline on TV. Most if not all of the exterior "city" and "building" shots are local.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Apr 2018, 21:07

A Quiet Place was okay.

I know there won't be anything to do in the post-apocalyptic monster world, but people will need to stick to oral.

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Apr 2018, 01:37

Finally found a copy of Barista off my competition documentary list.

The movie was good. Standard competition format following a handful of hopefuls into the Big Event. I wish they had opted for short performance clips over montage sequences. The did for the the Big Event at least.

The actual Barista competition was underwhelming. They do a 15 minute freestyle "signature coffee" routine. While I can't taste the coffee of course, the routine, even at the top level is boring. They're allowed to do most anything, play music, etc. But all they do is talk about the coffee they're making. No dance moves. No prop manipulation. Half of them even seem to be suffering from stage fright.
Last edited by Warren on 22 May 2018, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 22 May 2018, 13:13

Watched Early Man last night. It wasn't Aardman's best work but it was amusing. I feel like it would work better if you're British and/or a big soccer fan - for example, I'm pretty sure some of the cavemen have regional English accents, there's a character named Asbo, etc. - but I got enough to make it funny. I did laugh myself sick when the giant man-eating duck first appears.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 04 Jun 2018, 12:41

Upgrade is fun. It is a little darker than the trailers suggest, and it could have had something important to the plot better foreshadowed. It's only 90 minutes which is nice nowadays.

Black Klansman looks fucking awesome.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Jun 2018, 06:47

Watched Basic Instinct recently. It's such a good film, and is relentlessly entertaining. De Palma may have "further developed the cinematic language of Hitchcock", but Verhoeven blew the walls off, and had even more fun with it.

A nice English guy I know - his wife teaches senior highschool English here. She's got them into postmodernism and feminism (quite unwisely etc). I was telling her that she should get me to give a lecture to her class on postmodern and feminism in film via Basic Instinct. After a while she said something like “Look DB, I know you think that’s very funny, but there’s no way I’m exposing my kids to you.”
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Jun 2018, 07:10

ETA: Apologies if I came into this the wrong way and way too late. Defending pilsner is kind of my thing.

Pilsner is a great style of beer that is often not ably reproduced outside of continental Europe (Germany and Czech Republic).

One of the local brewers here is a fellow DTU person (I worked there, he did his undergraduate degree in biochem there). He is not a fan of pilsner but appreciates it. He is making one now, and has found it challenging. Getting the balance between hop bitterness, aromatic hop "notes", and malt is rather tricky, particularly to do so consistently. The water is key, as it controls the amount of flavour you can use. Pilsner is prone to off flavours such as too mych diacetyl (that awful stale mustiness in Kronenberg 1664, but some is needed) or the malic-acid apple flavour from a fermentation with too much oxygen (good flavour in some other beers like kolsch). It requires more capital investment - brews approx 10C lower temp, so needs at least twice as long to brew, then requires lagering (cold maturation) in refrigerated tanks for 4 to 6 weeks. As the flavours are more subtle, deviations are much worse, and getting the right flavour levels is harder. Finally, many craft brewers do not want to use a different yeast, so don't even use a bottom fermenting lager yeast.

Jever is probably the best example of a german pilsner, and it is really good. Great balance of hop and malt bitterness, with extra hop punch allowed by the water.

Pilsners can be great crisp and bitter beers - they're not for huge hop delivery. If you don't like them, that's fine, but you're the one who is missing out.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jun 2018, 16:17

dbcooper wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 06:47
Watched Basic Instinct recently. It's such a good film, and is relentlessly entertaining. De Palma may have "further developed the cinematic language of Hitchcock", but Verhoeven blew the walls off, and had even more fun with it.

A nice English guy I know - his wife teaches senior highschool English here. She's got them into postmodernism and feminism (quite unwisely etc). I was telling her that she should get me to give a lecture to her class on postmodern and feminism in film via Basic Instinct. After a while she said something like “Look DB, I know you think that’s very funny, but there’s no way I’m exposing my kids to you.”
[Hero GIF]
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 06 Jun 2018, 17:17

dbcooper wrote:

Exposing yourself to kids usually results in lifetime registration.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Jun 2018, 18:06

Andrew wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 17:17
dbcooper wrote:

Exposing yourself to kids usually results in lifetime registration.
And exposing kids to people will get you a longer time before you have to worry about where you can live under that registration.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dhex

Post by dhex » 07 Jun 2018, 07:48

i know someone who taught basic instinct for a feminism and film class.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 Jun 2018, 08:19

dhex wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 07:48
I think it's a popular "text" for that. She exploits the male gaze and ego, and leads them around by their dicks.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jun 2018, 09:28

dbcooper wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 08:19
dhex wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 07:48
I think it's a popular "text" for that. She exploits the male gaze and ego, and leads them around by their dicks.
That worked for Glr Pwr feminism. But now we understand that being forced to exploit men is the patriarchy that oppresses womyn.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT