The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by the innominate one » 31 Jan 2018, 12:07

Double point loss for having to Google it.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13099
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Kolohe » 31 Jan 2018, 12:19

Mark it zero, dude.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 21850
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by JasonL » 31 Jan 2018, 12:23

We should not be fatuous shaming guys

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by the innominate one » 31 Jan 2018, 12:25

Good work. I should have written "Shut the fuck up, Ellie! You're way out of your element!"
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5934
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Andrew » 31 Jan 2018, 12:45

the innominate one wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 12:25
Good work. I should have written "Shut the fuck up, Ellie! You're way out of your element!"
Or "obviously, you're not a golfer."
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12356
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by the innominate one » 31 Jan 2018, 12:46

Yes! I need to re-watch.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23310
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Warren » 14 Feb 2018, 02:21

Professor Marston And The Wonder Women
Wow. "Based on a true story" and as fully fictionalized as you should expect from that phrase. Still, remarkably captivating. This movie is full of kinky sex, but it's not about kinky sex. Despite the fact that the kinky sex is inextricably, ahem, 'bound' up in the plot. The exposing of true self over the pornographic is where the film delivers the most intense intimacy throughout. The experience one comes away with may depend on one's attitude towards the perversions depicted. Even so, this is everything that 50 Shades isn't. These characters are intelligent, complex, and capable of growth. There is humor and wit, as well as drama and compassion. Grand theories and examinations on the human condition. Exceptionally well edited. The score is compelling in it's inducement of emotion and tone.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23310
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Warren » 14 Feb 2018, 22:21

I'm 23 minutes into Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. It's getting good. The shit is starting to fly and it's being spread with broad brush and long strokes. But it's clear that while two sides are squaring off fixin for the big show down, right and wrong, good and evil, are divvied up betwix em.

EDIT
One hour in and Twist. Could have seen that coming, but didn't. Fuck where does it go from here?

EDIT
Well. That was some movie. I was hanging on every word. But they didn't know how to end it.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23310
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Warren » 03 Mar 2018, 15:07

Molly's Game
Easy watching on a Sat afternoon, but as I feared, too much Sorkin. Should have been much better.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3440
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Painboy » 04 Mar 2018, 01:46

Looker. It was a Michael Crichton film he actually wrote and directed. It's got Albert Finney and Susan Day in it. I grew up watching this movie a lot when I was a kid as it seemed to be on cable like every other month. As a kid I loved the Looker gun and the effect they used. Also I thought the soundtrack was really cool.

My kid self was mostly right I found. It's a B movie for sure but it moves along at a pretty good pace and never gets dull. There's not a lot of character development but the cast is solid in their roles. The paleo-future stuff isn't too bad as a concept (computer generated actors) but it is several decades too early. A common problem with most of Crichton's stuff.

The soundtrack is still pretty cool. It would be right at home with all the new retro synthwave stuff today. Unfortunately only the couple of vocal songs seem to be available anywhere. The best I could find was this mix by somebody on Youtube and it's really only part of it looped over and over again. It's still pretty cool but a little repetitive even for me. Wish there was someway I could pull it off the movie minus the other sounds.

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 5934
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Andrew » 04 Mar 2018, 17:30

DAR's comment about Technicolor reminded me: Jaws was on yesterday, and I watched bits and pieces of it while doing other things. The colors are so vivid. Not in an unreal or oversaturated way, but in a way that modern films aiming for realism never come close to achieving. The colors of the beach scenes are never washed out or dull despite being in bright sunlight.

Granted, it's Spielberg, and the cinematographer has an impressive track record as well. But it appears to have been one of the last Technicolor dye transfers, and I bet that's a big part of it. The color in movies in the late 60s and early 70s has never been surpassed.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 17782
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Mar 2018, 12:10

Banned in Russia, oddly enough, but this has been 'available' online for a while now and will be in limited theatrical release in the U.S. beginning on Friday.


User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2675
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Jasper » 05 Mar 2018, 13:14

Painboy wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 01:46
Looker. It was a Michael Crichton film he actually wrote and directed. It's got Albert Finney and Susan Day in it. I grew up watching this movie a lot when I was a kid as it seemed to be on cable like every other month. As a kid I loved the Looker gun and the effect they used. Also I thought the soundtrack was really cool.
It's amazing what they can copy. 8-)
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3440
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Painboy » 06 Mar 2018, 02:09

Jasper wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 13:14
Painboy wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 01:46
Looker. It was a Michael Crichton film he actually wrote and directed. It's got Albert Finney and Susan Day in it. I grew up watching this movie a lot when I was a kid as it seemed to be on cable like every other month. As a kid I loved the Looker gun and the effect they used. Also I thought the soundtrack was really cool.
It's amazing what they can copy. 8-)
Ha! Didn't see that! What a weird coincidence.

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2675
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Jasper » 06 Mar 2018, 12:49

Painboy wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 02:09
Jasper wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 13:14
Painboy wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 01:46
Looker. It was a Michael Crichton film he actually wrote and directed. It's got Albert Finney and Susan Day in it. I grew up watching this movie a lot when I was a kid as it seemed to be on cable like every other month. As a kid I loved the Looker gun and the effect they used. Also I thought the soundtrack was really cool.
It's amazing what they can copy. 8-)
Ha! Didn't see that! What a weird coincidence.
I've fond memories of a naked Susan Dey.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 807
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by dead_elvis » 18 Mar 2018, 18:08

On the strength of decent reviews I thought it would be worth checking out The Big Sick last night. Upon conclusion my wife turns to me and says "you are hereby banished from selecting movies for the foreseeable future".

I thought the funny parts were reasonably amusing, but the romantic parts were excruciating.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3440
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Painboy » 19 Mar 2018, 11:19

dead_elvis wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 18:08
On the strength of decent reviews I thought it would be worth checking out The Big Sick last night. Upon conclusion my wife turns to me and says "you are hereby banished from selecting movies for the foreseeable future".

I thought the funny parts were reasonably amusing, but the romantic parts were excruciating.
Really I thought the whole thing was pretty enjoyable. I think you're the first person I know who didn't like it. I generally liked the romance as it seemed more "real" than most romcoms which have a tendency to over meetcute things.

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 15340
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Mar 2018, 16:36

Painboy wrote:
19 Mar 2018, 11:19
dead_elvis wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 18:08
On the strength of decent reviews I thought it would be worth checking out The Big Sick last night. Upon conclusion my wife turns to me and says "you are hereby banished from selecting movies for the foreseeable future".

I thought the funny parts were reasonably amusing, but the romantic parts were excruciating.
Really I thought the whole thing was pretty enjoyable. I think you're the first person I know who didn't like it. I generally liked the romance as it seemed more "real" than most romcoms which have a tendency to over meetcute things.
Yeah it seemed pretty honest. Didn't make either one of them look super awesome - usually you can't understand why the guy/girl turns his/her nose up at the girl/guy, but in this one it's partly that he's a dumbass who treats her like a dirty secret from his parents, and partly that she's a little bit bitchy about it. Even him staying at the hospital came off with a whiff of desperate and creepy and awkward rather than saccharine/super-romantic-hero-guy-ish.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 807
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by dead_elvis » 20 Mar 2018, 18:57

I think it's an interesting question- your comments make me wonder if I missed something. But I think a good "honest" movie walks the tight line between something real enough to relate to but... better. My main beef was the dialog- maybe real life doesn't sound like Bogey and Bacall slinging zingers back and forth or a Billy Wilder movie but sometimes "real" is just... banal.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3440
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Painboy » 20 Mar 2018, 19:19

dead_elvis wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 18:57
I think it's an interesting question- your comments make me wonder if I missed something. But I think a good "honest" movie walks the tight line between something real enough to relate to but... better. My main beef was the dialog- maybe real life doesn't sound like Bogey and Bacall slinging zingers back and forth or a Billy Wilder movie but sometimes "real" is just... banal.
I will agree that romance was probably the weakest part. Of course it only occupied a relatively small part of the movie given the plot.

I thought the relationship with her parents was probably the best part. The off the cuff 9/11 joke he makes alone is almost worth the price of admission.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23310
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Warren » 26 Mar 2018, 22:32

I finally found this list. This is exactly what I've been looking for. Searching for "best documentaries" and the like comes back with lots of what I would consider propaganda. Even if it's well researched and presented, a documentary with a point of view is different from the kind of documentary I like best. I like to see a large group of people passionate about something I know little to nothing about. And this is a great list. I want to watch practically all of them. I've seen about a dozen on the list before I found it. They range from 'fine' to 'outstanding'. But now that I know what I want to watch, I can't find them. Or at best can only find it for too much money. So aggravating!
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10655
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Ellie » 27 Mar 2018, 10:20

Oh, thank you for sharing that! I love documentaries like this and I've hardly seen any of them! You absolutely must watch The Barkley Marathons if you haven't yet. It's really good. And I'm pretty sure it's on YouTube if it isn't streaming anywhere.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23310
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Warren » 27 Mar 2018, 10:42

Ellie wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 10:20
You absolutely must watch The Barkley Marathons if you haven't yet. It's really good.
Really? That one was way down my list. I feel like I've seen enough extreme athletic things.

I just paid to watch "Wicker Kittens". It was fine. Alas there are no kittens.

A great package to put together is "Spellbound", "Wordplay", and "Word Wars". Spelling Bee, Crosswords, and Scrabble. I really liked the scrabble one. Now I'm wondering if Scrabylon (which came out a year earlier) is worth sitting through. Getting introduced to the thing is most of the fun.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 23310
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Warren » 27 Mar 2018, 13:02

Ellie wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 10:20
The Barkley Marathons
So now I've watched it. I enjoyed the first half, but as it went on I started increasingly disliking everyone involved. Pushing yourself to test your limits, setting unreachable goals, these things I understand. But pushing yourself beyond limit, or taking pleasure in other peoples destruction, there's nothing respectable about that.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 10655
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Ellie » 27 Mar 2018, 18:10

Ah, to each their own! I guess I like that kind of crazy push-it-to-the-limit stuff. Our bodies are ours to destroy, and all.

I think my favorite part was the race creator admitting that he started it because he said it would be easy and then he never actually was able to finish the race. :lol:
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests