The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Fin Fang Foom

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 12 Dec 2017, 16:54

dbcooper wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 15:57
Silence of the Lambs is so very, very bad. I challenge any of you to name a single redeeming feature.
You should maybe make a case against it first.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Dec 2017, 17:06

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 16:54
dbcooper wrote:
Silence of the Lambs is so very, very bad. I challenge any of you to name a single redeeming feature.
NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Dec 2017, 17:06

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
dbcooper wrote:
His case against it is that he doesn't like it. Which, come to think of it, is at the bottom of most aesthetic claims.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Dec 2017, 17:12

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 15:37
dhex wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 15:27
it's as faithful to the source material as starship troopers!
Starship Troopers is great!
it is! the general anti-consensus on here is that it strays too far from the techno-fascist militarism handjobbery of the book.

i'd say it goes all in instead and is great because of it.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 12 Dec 2017, 17:14

dhex wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 17:12
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
dhex wrote:
it is! the general anti-consensus on here is that it strays too far from the techno-fascist militarism handjobbery of the book.

I think that's just Ellie and Stevo.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Dec 2017, 17:14

dhex wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
dhex wrote:

That's truer for Amadeus
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Dec 2017, 17:16

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
dbcooper wrote:
The performances and characterisation are very silly, and the atmosphere constantly strains for a seriousness which it never sells. It's reduced to a plot film, and the plot is a mess. I honestly don't think there's a single redeeming quality.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Dec 2017, 17:17

Warren wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 17:14
dhex wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
dhex wrote:

That's truer for Amadeus

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 12 Dec 2017, 17:21

dbcooper wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 17:16
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
dbcooper wrote:
The performances and characterisation are very silly, and the atmosphere constantly strains for a seriousness which it never sells. It's reduced to a plot film, and the plot is a mess. I honestly don't think there's a single redeeming quality.
Everyone but Hopkins is good. How is the plot a mess? I don't know that there is such thing as a serious movie.

Because of it, a friend of mine can always make me laugh by doing a dead on "was she a great big fat person?"

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Dec 2017, 17:23

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
dhex wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
dhex wrote:

Ellie and Stevo are wondering when someone is going to make a movie out of Starship Troopers! Because no movie exists yet *fingers in ears* la la la la la la la
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Dec 2017, 18:37

Ellie wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 17:23
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
dhex wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
dhex wrote:

Ellie and Stevo are wondering when someone is going to make a movie out of Starship Troopers! Because no movie exists yet *fingers in ears* la la la la la la la
Doogie = Good Guy Space Nazi (Terran, not like, wickket or whatever species humans are supposed to be in the more popular Space Nazis Must Die series) = Awesome
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Dec 2017, 21:55

dhex wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
dhex wrote:

I say it doesn't even manage to do that, and that it's fundamentally a movie that thinks it's much, much smarter than it really is.

Skip all concern about science and plausibility, of course. Don't worry about the absurdity of the weapons they use ("We carry guns that can kill one bug per reload, and nothing heavier except pocket nukes!") or try to figure out the whole meteor silliness. Just go by what the movie actually says.

The movie doesn't present a fascist society: it completely fails at that. Now, it throws around a few cheap visual significators of fascism, starting from fairly generic, but clearly retro-WW2 iconography, and escalating until it culminates in the "Doogie Houser of the SS" moment. (Moreso if you're ideologically inclined to see any depiction of guns, uniforms, or military activity as inherently "fascist".) However, it never actually presents the society as anything but democratic*, free, multi-racial, tolerant, feminist, capable of self-questioning and dissent, and run by officials who can fail and be replaced without show-trials or bullets to the head. It puts a superficial fascist skin on things, saying, in effect, it's fascism if and when it has these visual cues you're already trained to recognize, but it portrays that society with absolutely no other traits of fascism.

And worse, that's the extent of the big shock! Doogie in leather, and then...yeah, that's it. You're just supposed to be shocked by the visuals, not any, you know, evil or oppression. Not that the society is doing anything besides protecting itself from brain-eating, swarming giant bugs, it's just committed the sin of looking fascist. If anything, it takes the ambiguous, realpolitik Cold War struggle of the book, with the Mobile Infantry committing terror raids against completely different aliens allied to the Bugs, and makes it a straight-up WW2 defensive fight against implacable monsters. From the guy who gave us Robocop, that's a disappointing fumble.

Worst of all is the final reveal that the movie itself is an in-setting propaganda piece. That move makes it implicit in-universe text that in-universe viewers are supposed to take away that the dominant voices in their society were so arrogant and self-assured in their superiority that they botched the early conduct of the war. Fascist propaganda doesn't look much like that!

* And more democratic than the US and France were when the novel was written.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Dec 2017, 22:29

You're supposed to be laughing, not shocked. It's a comedy.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Dec 2017, 22:36

dhex wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 22:29
You're supposed to be laughing, not shocked. It's a comedy.
Since when can't comedy be shocking or startling?

Dougie Houser in an SS coat in the middle of a desert is the weakest joke in the movie, by far.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 13 Dec 2017, 12:46

dbcooper wrote:
Buffalo Bill memes.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 13 Dec 2017, 13:27

Team Ellie and Eric.5b. Starship Troopers was IMO simply poorly made dreck.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Dec 2017, 17:07

So the Last Jedi is pretty good, though it has a couple of plot stupidities. They did something I have been wanting to see tv/sci-fi movies for a long time, though of course the question is why they don't do that all the time. It's still pretty cool though.

dhex

Post by dhex » 16 Dec 2017, 20:20

Plus the lack of back story jerk off is really nice. Not everything needs an explanation.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Dec 2017, 20:26

dhex wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 20:20
Plus the lack of back story jerk off is really nice. Not everything needs an explanation.
Yeah, that's true.

I appreciate that Snoke dressed like Hugh Hefner.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 16 Dec 2017, 20:49

Could I ask y'all, as a favor, to keep the Star Wars movie talk in the Star Wars movie thread?

I realize you haven't said anything super spoilery here or anything, but I'm still sad that I caught part of the trailer before seeing the movie.

JD

Post by JD » 18 Dec 2017, 14:39

I just saw The Room for the first time last night. Please, for the love of god, if you haven't seen it yet, go see it now. It is so incredibly bizarre that my working theory is that writer/director/producer/actor Tommy Wiseau is actually an alien from another planet, because it really is the only way to explain everything that is unbelievably weird about this whole movie: he is an extraterrestrial who came to this planet and learned that human beings like these things called "movies", so he tried to make one, but he didn't really understand anything else about humans or what they do.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Dec 2017, 15:24

JD wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 14:39
I just saw The Room for the first time last night. Please, for the love of god, if you haven't seen it yet, go see it now. It is so incredibly bizarre that my working theory is that writer/director/producer/actor Tommy Wiseau is actually an alien from another planet, because it really is the only way to explain everything that is unbelievably weird about this whole movie: he is an extraterrestrial who came to this planet and learned that human beings like these things called "movies", so he tried to make one, but he didn't really understand anything else about humans or what they do.
This same theory explains the current presidency.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 18 Dec 2017, 15:57

JD wrote:
Yeah that movie is strange. It's like they wrote down a bunch of their favorite scenes from other movies and just acted them out with no rehearsal and in no particular order. Would also recommend the RiffTrax version.

I also want to see The Disaster Artist which is kind of a biopic about the making of that movie.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 18 Dec 2017, 16:00

JD wrote:
Watched for the first time myself earlier this year- I was laughing hysterically almost every scene and my wife kept looking at me oddly and asking "why is that funny?"

Some things just can't be explained.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Dec 2017, 16:32

I know somebody who acted in a few scenes of it. Good guy, did it for the paycheck. That movie was...yeah. And the director was, um, interesting.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem