The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Dec 2017, 19:45

I want to see The Hottie and The Nottie one of these days. speaking of worst movies ever.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 18 Dec 2017, 22:01

Watched Point Blank the other night. It's a John Boorman film with Lee Marvin and Angie Dickinson. It's kind of like John Wick meets Mad Men. It has a noir vibe that oozes mid 60's modernist style. The film is a visual feast to look at.

Marvin's character, Walker, is an enigma, vacillating between beaten down wretch, cool as ice operator, and explosively violent killer. The movie never really tells you who he is or whether he's even justified in what he's doing. Even his goals seem to shift from scene to scene as the situation changes around him. Whatever the case I found Marvin's performance mesmerising and never dull, even when it should have been.

Angie Dickinson is excellent as well, playing a woman who gets involved with Walker, yet never really knowing if there's anything he feels in return. There's an amazing scene where she gets mad at him and just pummels him for 30 seconds straight while he just stands there. Exhausted she falls to the floor and he just walks over to the coach, sits down, and starts watching TV. Reading that might not sound exciting but watching it is incredible.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 19 Dec 2017, 00:05

I watched the first 20-30 minutes of Outlaw of Gor, and it was amazing spaghetti fantasy worthy of a 60s Hercules movie, with English dubbing worthy of a Japanese kaiju flick of the 60s. And it had Jack Palance!

So much hairspray, perms, and airbrushed makeup for a Bronze Age culture.

I stopped when I looked for the Rifftrax version and realized it was the MST3K "Outlaw" episode, which I'd never seen.

Alas, it did not show any of the more controversial aspects of the Gor subculture, for which my friend got pilloried.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Dec 2017, 03:41

The Ring was soooooo boring.

There is a reason I don't watch American adaptations of foreign horror films. I mean, I like me some Jet Girl, but nope. I feel kind of vindicated in not watching the Sarah Michelle Gellar version of The Grudge even after my wife got it for me for my birthday.

I couldn't get anyone to buy into "What We Do in the Shadows". I think I was robbed.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Dec 2017, 11:15

I finally saw IT, which was pretty good (though I agree with the 'ugh' factor of turning Beverly into a damsel in need of rescue). However, there was one scene so badly edited I'm actually wondering if there's a flaw in my copy? In the book, when Eddie breaks his arm and the Losers sign his cast that is a major scene, symbolizing a "contract" they all sign. Of course the movie is far more streamlined -- it shows Eddie entering Keene's drug store with a snow-white cast. Then the bratty teenage counter girl tells Eddie that his asthma medicine is fake (in the book it was Keene), then offers to sign his cast. We see her start to sign it, then give Eddie a mean look -- and, that's it. We never see or talk about the cast again.

In a commercial or someplace, I saw a scene where the cast had "Loser" written on it, and someone had put a V over the S to turn it into "lover." I did not see anything like that in the movie -- even re-wound and re-watched the drug store scene in case I missed it. If my version is indeed what people saw in theaters, then IMO the entire cast and broken arm scene should've been cut out completely; it didn't add anything to the movie's story, the way it added to the book's.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 19 Dec 2017, 11:24

The loser/lover scene was definitely in the theatrical version that I saw.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Dec 2017, 11:26

Huh. So now I'm wondering what other scenes were cut out of the movie.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Dec 2017, 11:30

Not only did they make Beverly a damsel in distress, they did it right AFTER she had overcome her fears. Not to mention that for the first 2/3 of the movie she is portrayed as the strongest member of the Losers' Club. Besides being an unnecessary and tiresome trope, the story falls flat on its own logic.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Dec 2017, 17:56

Currently watching GotG 2 on Netflix. The first one left me cold for most of it, but I'm digging this one. BABY GROOT <3
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Baby Groot

Post by Baby Groot » 22 Dec 2017, 18:18

I am Groot.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Dec 2017, 18:27

I love you.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Dec 2017, 19:04

Ellie wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 17:56
Currently watching GotG 2 on Netflix. The first one left me cold for most of it, but I'm digging this one. BABY GROOT <3
Do you know Lindsay aka The Nostalgia Chick?
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Dec 2017, 23:11

I'm not familiar with her -- thanks for sharing that video, I really enjoyed it!

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Dec 2017, 10:13

Ellie wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 23:11
I'm not familiar with her -- thanks for sharing that video, I really enjoyed it!
You're welcome. I forgot about the Toxic Feministity in the middle when I posted. I thought you might enjoy her dissertation on The Feeels, I dare say you have a complicated relationship with your family.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Jan 2018, 10:19

Twin Peaks: the Return was just as Lynchian as I expected.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 07 Jan 2018, 10:59

I, Tonya is good.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 08 Jan 2018, 23:49

Andrew wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 10:19
I've only watched season 1 of Twin Peaks. Season 2 just seemed like it was weird in a going-off-the-rails way and I wasn't feeling it. Do I definitely need to watch it before I watch The Return, or can I just read a summary somewhere?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Jan 2018, 08:01

Ellie wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 23:49
Andrew wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 10:19
I've only watched season 1 of Twin Peaks. Season 2 just seemed like it was weird in a going-off-the-rails way and I wasn't feeling it. Do I definitely need to watch it before I watch The Return, or can I just read a summary somewhere?
Watching Fire Walk with Me is more important than season 2. A summary for season 2 would work, or just the first seven episodes and then the last one.

Edit: while not necessary, Mulholland Dr wouldn't hurt (if you haven't seen it). Some of the themes (and even actors) bleed into Twin Peaks: the Return.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 09 Jan 2018, 12:53

Andrew wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 08:01
Ellie wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 23:49
A summary for season 2 would work, or just the first seven episodes and then the last one.
I have a hard time remembering which exact episodes, but while there were certainly things about season 2 that went off, it would also be depriving yourself of some good stuff as well. At *least* watch the last episode for certain.

I would watch a cut of the second season that eliminates Nadine's and James' story lines.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Jan 2018, 15:15

Columbus is a very pretty movie.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 13 Jan 2018, 23:05

Atomic Blonde is a bunch of good action scenes wrapped in a nonsensical spy plot with an anachronistic but good 80s soundtrack.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 14 Jan 2018, 14:54

Pigs and Battleships is a really great movie. Not exactly sure if I'd say top 10 or 20 or 30, but it would definitely be on my list of essential classic movies. Some really powerful scenes and bleak at times but not without dark humor and has strong characters. I'll definitely be checking out more by this director, Imamura.

On a lesser plane, I moderately enjoyed Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, the Chuck-Barris-as-CIA-assasin movie. Had a weird look to it that I didn't think worked, but overall it's R. A. Wilson's world and we just live in it so why not indulge a little disinformation fantasy.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jan 2018, 15:25

dead_elvis wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 14:54
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
Haven't seen it but I do love the premise. Keep meaning to check it out, but keep thinking it can't help but disappoint me.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Jan 2018, 09:09

dead_elvis wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 14:54
Pigs and Battleships is a really great movie. Not exactly sure if I'd say top 10 or 20 or 30, but it would definitely be on my list of essential classic movies. Some really powerful scenes and bleak at times but not without dark humor and has strong characters. I'll definitely be checking out more by this director, Imamura.
I'm so annoyed that TCM & Criterion launched subscription-based Filmstruck instead of staying on Hulu. Criterion on Hulu was one of the reasons I was OK subscribing to Hulu in the first place. Now, my wife is hooked on Hulu and I got nuffin'.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 16 Jan 2018, 12:49

Hmmm, I've never really looked at that, now I might consider switching my netflix disc plan over to them for abut the same money. It's nice though to have a disc and not have to consider streaming video quality, and I do sometimes use the discs for more "low brow" content. But I wouldn't mind giving them my money over netflix, as netflix has pretty much thrown their disc side under the bus and I'd feel better rewarding Criterion for their work directly.