The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Warren » 27 Mar 2018, 20:14

Somm tops my list. It's another push yourself past all understanding of human limitations tale. But there's something at the end of it. And I'm not talking arthritis and kidney failure.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 27 Mar 2018, 20:24

Warren wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 20:14
Somm tops my list. It's another push yourself past all understanding of human limitations tale. But there's something at the end of it. And I'm not talking arthritis and kidney failure.
I liked Somm. Jiro Dreams of Sushi was pretty good if you are into lifelong apprenticeships.
The Birth of Sake was fascinating as the brewery in question still follows the seasonal labor rituals even though modern techniques are available for cooling.
Now I want sushi, sake, and a nice dry white wine.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Mar 2018, 20:36

Kwix wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 20:24
Jiro Dreams of Sushi was pretty good
I forgot about that one. Thanks for reminding me.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2018, 11:01

Warren wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 20:36
Kwix wrote:
Could have skipped that. Maybe if I could taste the sushi. All this tragedy, oppression, and corruption, but we get good fish so it's alright. 3 Michelin stars? Really?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Apr 2018, 11:33

Was that the one where they were so poor when he was a kid they had to save up for a can of Coke, and then he shook it up before he opened it? I can't remember what chef told that story in a documentary, but it made me so sad.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

dhex

Post by dhex » 05 Apr 2018, 11:34

Warren wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 11:01
Warren wrote:
Kwix wrote:
Could have skipped that. Maybe if I could taste the sushi. All this tragedy, oppression, and corruption, but we get good fish so it's alright. 3 Michelin stars? Really?
what's it like being dead inside?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2018, 11:48

dhex wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 11:34
Warren wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 11:01
Warren wrote:
Kwix wrote:
what's it like being dead inside?
Being human /= being dead
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 05 Apr 2018, 12:34

I found Jiro Dreams of Sushi to be incredibly compelling and inspiring, in that it mirrors exactly what I see in music. That being a pro at something a lot of amateurs do pretty well means prioritizing consistency, and that means boring routine (or rather, finding a way to make boring routine interesting enough to continue doing it year after year). We're all familiar with the old saw about genius being one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration; but not only does the movie drive that home quite well, it adds consistency to the formula. I'm convinced that the standard deviation rules the day, and that in order to appear to have flashes of brilliance you have to have a consistently high mean/average. I think people sometimes mistake striving for consistency to be anti-artistic and settling for less than one's best, when it's actually a necessary precondition for excellence, and the movie makes this clear.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2018, 13:33

dead_elvis wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 12:34
I found Jiro Dreams of Sushi to be incredibly compelling and inspiring, in that it mirrors exactly what I see in music. That being a pro at something a lot of amateurs do pretty well means prioritizing consistency, and that means boring routine (or rather, finding a way to make boring routine interesting enough to continue doing it year after year). We're all familiar with the old saw about genius being one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration; but not only does the movie drive that home quite well, it adds consistency to the formula. I'm convinced that the standard deviation rules the day, and that in order to appear to have flashes of brilliance you have to have a consistently high mean/average. I think people sometimes mistake striving for consistency to be anti-artistic and settling for less than one's best, when it's actually a necessary precondition for excellence, and the movie makes this clear.
I don't think that requires needing to become self sufficient at age 9. Nor are you required to insist your offspring follow in your footsteps. Nor do I think the goal of excellence is worth the price of total lifelong commitment to the exclusion of everything else.

Extolling the importance of consistency is all well and good, but Jiro Dreams of Sushi is much more than that, and most if it is disgusting and depressing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 05 Apr 2018, 13:44

dead_elvis wrote:
There's merit to this argument, but it also means McDonald's hamburgers are excellent.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 05 Apr 2018, 15:53

i like obsession and hate sushi, so jiro really hit the spot for me. it's a human portrait of what it means to pursue with singularity a self-selected standard of excellence.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Apr 2018, 13:06

Jasper wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 13:44
dead_elvis wrote:
There's merit to this argument, but it also means McDonald's hamburgers are excellent.
also Bud Light
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Apr 2018, 13:21

lunchstealer wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 13:06
Jasper wrote:
dead_elvis wrote:
also Bud Light
It takes an epic commitment of thousands of people to achieve mediocrity that consistent.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 06 Apr 2018, 13:53

lunchstealer wrote:
Jasper wrote:
also Bud Light
Well, I did say *necessary precondition*, and I'd say neither McD's burgers or bud light have a particularly high starting mean/average.
Warren wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 13:33
Nor do I think the goal of excellence is worth the price of total lifelong commitment to the exclusion of everything else.

Extolling the importance of consistency is all well and good, but Jiro Dreams of Sushi is much more than that, and most if it is disgusting and depressing.
Ah, and therein lies the rub.

I usually think about this stuff when people ask "why didn't I get (incredibly competitive position), it must be (irrelevant factor)". I think *most* people aren't aware of the total sacrifice some people make of their lives, and if they are, balk at that.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Apr 2018, 14:01

dead_elvis wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 13:53
lunchstealer wrote:
Jasper wrote:
also Bud Light
Well, I did say *necessary precondition*, and I'd say neither McD's burgers or bud light have a particularly high starting mean/average.
Warren wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 13:33
Nor do I think the goal of excellence is worth the price of total lifelong commitment to the exclusion of everything else.

Ah, and therein lies the rub.

I usually think about this stuff when people ask "why didn't I get (incredibly competitive position), it must be (irrelevant factor)". I think *most* people aren't aware of the total sacrifice some people make of their lives, and if they are, balk at that.
That is so. When you look at just about anyone at the top of their chosen field, what you find is fanatic obsession and the accompanying abuse, betrayals, and addictions that go with it. I too would like to see more of "This is what it takes to be a champion", but I'd like to see it presented more as a cautionary tale than a celebration.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 06 Apr 2018, 17:50

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 13:21
lunchstealer wrote:
Jasper wrote:
also Bud Light
It takes an epic commitment of thousands of people to achieve mediocrity that consistent.
There's some real truth in that. Bud Light may not be what you call an excellent beer, but it is excellently consistent. I mean, they set out to hit a goal and by god they hit it every time. There is something to be said for that, and I'm only half joking there.
dead_elvis wrote:I usually think about this stuff when people ask "why didn't I get (incredibly competitive position), it must be (irrelevant factor)". I think *most* people aren't aware of the total sacrifice some people make of their lives, and if they are, balk at that.
Indeed. Look at people like Bobby Fischer or even Tiger Woods: they sacrificed almost everything for their field. Even somebody not usually seen that way, like Steve Vai - he describes deciding that he was going to learn to sight-read music and spending an entire summer doing that and nothing else, and later spending 10 hours a day transcribing music, every single day. Most people are just plain not willing to do that.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Apr 2018, 19:48

JD wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 17:50
There's some real truth in that. Bud Light may not be what you call an excellent beer, but it is excellently consistent. I mean, they set out to hit a goal and by god they hit it every time. There is something to be said for that, and I'm only half joking there.
I've also had it pointed out to me, in the past, that pilsners are particularly hard beers to produce consistently. I'm not aware of why that would be the case, but I'm willing to believe it.

This doesn't keep all pilsners from tasting like ass to me, but I respect the work.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 06 Apr 2018, 20:02

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 19:48
JD wrote:
I've also had it pointed out to me, in the past, that pilsners are particularly hard beers to produce consistently. I'm not aware of why that would be the case, but I'm willing to believe it.

This doesn't keep all pilsners from tasting like ass to me, but I respect the work.
Calling mass-produced American pale lagers "pilsners" will have beer nerds breaking you on the rack before you know it. Once they're done explaining the difference between a gose and a sour to utterly bored people at the bar.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Apr 2018, 20:27

Andrew wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 20:02
Eric the .5b wrote:
JD wrote:

Calling mass-produced American pale lagers "pilsners" will have beer nerds breaking you on the rack before you know it. Once they're done explaining the difference between a gose and a sour to utterly bored people at the bar.
*shrugs* Even "totes reel" pilsners taste like similar ass to me.

I just don't like pilsners.

JD

Post by JD » 09 Apr 2018, 15:38

My wife is out of town, so I've been watching kung fu movies while I make dinner, clean up, and do other random things. So far I've watched Iron Fisted Monk and about 2/3 of Invincible Armour. IFM was pretty good and really kicks into high gear once the titular monk starts kicking ass but also has some unexpected and rather brutal and graphic rape scenes which make the movie something other than just lighthearted fun. IA is OK but never quite grabs me in the same way. I will say that the lead has some impressive kicking technique, though.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 09 Apr 2018, 17:21

Eric the .5b wrote:
JD wrote:

As Andrew mentioned you're wrong to call them pilsners*.
It's not that they are harder to brew consistently it's because they are so light bodied and crisp flavored and anything that's not "light grain and hints of noble hops" flavored is instantly recognizable. Think of stout as the rusty, primer grey pickup truck and pilsner the mirror smooth black Porsche. If they both get scratches, you'll only notice it on the Porsche. Pilsners just aren't forgiving.

*American pilsners are even less forgiving as they use flavorless rice to up the alcohol, lighten the body and make a cheaper product. It's somewhat ironic that the most work goes into the shittiest beer.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Apr 2018, 17:54

Kwix wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 17:21
As I already said, in the very bit you quoted, I don't give a fuck that "the beer nerds" think I'm wrong on the matter. Both crappy mass-produced "pilsners" and supposedly better, proper "pilsners" taste awful to me in exactly the same way. Collectively, they're why I didn't think I liked beer until I was in my 30s.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Apr 2018, 19:49

Eric the .5b wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 17:54
Kwix wrote:
As I already said, in the very bit you quoted, I don't give a fuck that "the beer nerds" think I'm wrong on the matter. Both crappy mass-produced "pilsners" and supposedly better, proper "pilsners" taste awful to me in exactly the same way. Collectively, they're why I didn't think I liked beer until I was in my 30s.
There is iron in your word of life.

I have had a few pilsners that I've liked, but even the ones I had in Zurich were kinda awful compared to a lot of other styles. Like, I have little use for Pilsner Urquel.

There are a couple of local ones that I enjoy, because they have a bit more body than even the European stuff. But it took a LONG time before I found one I enjoyed. Like probably until age 40. So it could be that what bothered me I can no longer taste.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Apr 2018, 19:58

"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 09 Apr 2018, 20:56

Eric the .5b wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 17:54
Kwix wrote:
As I already said, in the very bit you quoted, I don't give a fuck that "the beer nerds" think I'm wrong on the matter.
I know you don't give a shit, you spelled that out quite clearly.
Hmm, perhaps I should seed my comments with more /sarc tags or emojis. It seems that many things I lay out in jest have been taken rather seriously by members of the forum of late.