The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dbcooper

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by dbcooper » 16 Sep 2017, 08:29

The lovely Flavia in Belly of an Architect was one of the girls who was spectacularly murdered (nest of wire) in Suspiria.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 16 Sep 2017, 13:52

Warren wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 23:47

Yeash, yes. Absolutely horrible casting choice.
Agreed, except that his backpfeifengesicht served the role well.

And this might be interesting to anyone who saw it:

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelf ... n-figures/
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Sep 2017, 17:30

Warren wrote:The eclipse didn't throw as much shade as I did at Hidden Figures. I wasn't interested in the romance story (seriously, I wish they'd leave that out of so many movies) and I've had a lifetime of America's history of oppression movies/documentaries. I cared about the math/science and the people that made the movie did not.

ETA
lunchstealer wrote:The best film sci-fi of the previous ten years had been The Matrix and ID4
LOL The Matrix is closer to twenty years ago old bean.
I liked it plenty when it came out, but so many movies have copied it's aesthetic since then I don't want to look at it anymore.

PPS
Loved me some October Sky.
I agree wrt the romance angle, but the rest of it is the whole fucking point of the movie. The movie is basically, "Hey, you know how every NASA movie front the last 60 years has only white dudes and wives? There also happened to be some black women there helping out." The movie is throwing shade at Hollywood since the Right Stuff.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

the innominate one

Re: The son of

Post by the innominate one » 16 Sep 2017, 19:08

Warren wrote:The eclipse didn't throw as much shade as I did at Hidden Figures. I wasn't interested in the romance story (seriously, I wish they'd leave that out of so many movies) and I've had a lifetime of America's history of oppression movies/documentaries. I cared about the math/science and the people that made the movie did not.
I think I finally get what people mean by check your privilege.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Re: The son of

Post by Warren » 16 Sep 2017, 19:45

the innominate one wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 19:08
I think I finally get what people mean by check your privilege.
Thanks. I just checked it, and it's all tattered and worn.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 16 Sep 2017, 19:56

If you think oppression movies and documentaries are tiresome, try to imagine what racial- or sex-based oppression would feel like.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Sep 2017, 20:04

16 Sep 2017, 19:56
If you think oppression movies and documentaries are tiresome, try to imagine what racial- or sex-based oppression would feel like.
Yeah, that's what those movies are for. So what? Because other people suffered I need to sit through an endless parade of movies about their suffering? What good does that do anybody? It certainly doesn't help the oppressed. If anything it perpetuates the problem by allowing privileged people to virtue signal by telling each other how great the latest oppression movie is, and how good they are for saying so over their avocado toast.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 16 Sep 2017, 20:08

I didn't realize you were being forced to watch such movies. Sounds like you're being oppressed.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Sep 2017, 20:13

16 Sep 2017, 20:08
I didn't realize you were being forced to watch such movies. Sounds like you're being oppressed.
Why you working so hard to twist what I say into something that doesn't resemble what I said?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Sep 2017, 22:27

Warren wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 20:04
Yeah, that's what those movies are for. So what? Because other people suffered I need to sit through an endless parade of movies about their suffering? What good does that do anybody? It certainly doesn't help the oppressed. If anything it perpetuates the problem by allowing privileged people to virtue signal by telling each other how great the latest oppression movie is, and how good they are for saying so over their avocado toast.
On the other hand, what "good" comes from movies and pop culture pretending such oppression never existed? [Indeed, I'd go so far as to say things like "popular culture pretending white men were the only people who had anything to contribute to NASA" actually helps perpetuate such oppression.]

Plus, of course, nobody has said you "need" to sit through an endless parade of such movies, nor through any such movies at all.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Sep 2017, 23:25

Jennifer wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 22:27
Warren wrote:
On the other hand, what "good" comes from movies and pop culture pretending such oppression never existed? [Indeed, I'd go so far as to say things like "popular culture pretending white men were the only people who had anything to contribute to NASA" actually helps perpetuate such oppression.]

Plus, of course, nobody has said you "need" to sit through an endless parade of such movies, nor through any such movies at all.
And neither did I! JESUS H CHRIST I'm saying I was looking forward to Hidden Figures because it was a story I was very interested in that I didn't know anything about. I know the story about mid 20th Century America and race relations. The story I wanted to know - about the work these women did, as it was portrayed in the movie, was bullshit. That's why I didn't like the movie.

As an account of oppression, I dunno, It was probably better than The Help, way better than The Butler, not nearly as good as Malcolm X. Given That I've seen all those movies, plus at least a dozen others, plus more scholastic documentaries, I didn't learn anything new about that from Hidden Figures. That's all I'm saying.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Sep 2017, 23:29

Warren wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 23:25
Jennifer wrote:
Warren wrote:

And neither did I! JESUS H CHRIST I'm saying I was looking forward to Hidden Figures because it was a story I was very interested in that I didn't know anything about. I know the story about mid 20th Century America and race relations. The story I wanted to know - about the work these women did, as it was portrayed in the movie, was bullshit. That's why I didn't like the movie.

As an account of oppression, I dunno, It was probably better than The Help, way better than The Butler, not nearly as good as Malcolm X. Given That I've seen all those movies, plus at least a dozen others, plus more scholastic documentaries, I didn't learn anything new about that from Hidden Figures. That's all I'm saying.
Ah. I suppose it was your use of the rhetorical question "Because other people suffered I need to sit through an endless parade of movies about their suffering? " that tripped me up.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Sep 2017, 23:33

Jennifer wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 23:29
Warren wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 23:25
Jennifer wrote:
Warren wrote:

Ah. I suppose it was your use of the rhetorical question "Because other people suffered I need to sit through an endless parade of movies about their suffering? " that tripped me up.
Well that was in response to being told it was somehow wrong of me to not like sitting through the movie because it was nowhere near as horrible as experiencing actual oppression. Or whatever the hell TIO meant by:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 16 Sep 2017, 23:39

Complaining about voluntarily watching movies about oppression is ridiculous in the extreme. I don't think it needs any further explanation.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Sep 2017, 23:45

16 Sep 2017, 23:39
Complaining about voluntarily watching movies about oppression is ridiculous in the extreme. I don't think it needs any further explanation.
No it isn't. That's a flat out stupid thing to say.
Would it be ridiculous to complain about voluntarily sitting through a movie about Superheros?
People complain about movies they don't like all the time. Saying that you can't complain about a movie because it's sacred I flat out reject.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 17 Sep 2017, 00:27

Not "a" movie, but many movies. If one kept going to see superhero movies despite not liking the genre, then complaining about all the superhero movies you had to see would be ridiculous.

Substitute oppression for superhero.

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Sep 2017, 10:34

I see what you're saying.
What I'm saying, is I wouldn't have minded the oppression stuff if they got the math and science right. I don't mind civil rights as a genre. I enjoyed Selma, as it gave greater depth to the story I knew. Figures didn't provide any further insight. Likewise The Help was a good movie, well acted, good characters, etc. but not all that helpful coming out in 2011 (2009 for the book).

Reflecting a bit more on Figures, I kinda did enjoy the B story about her friend seeing the IBM machines as the future and teaching herself FORTRAN. The problem is I know they took so many liberties with the A story about calculating the trajectory I don't trust their telling of the B story.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Sep 2017, 18:57

Wild Things was less sexy and interesting than I'd hoped, but the acting was good. Good: Denise Richards' bare breasts. Bad: Kevin Bacon's bare penis.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Sep 2017, 19:23

Wild Things was a better movie than it had any right to be.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Sep 2017, 19:34

18 Sep 2017, 18:57
Wild Things was less sexy and interesting than I'd hoped, but the acting was good. Good: Denise Richards' bare breasts. Bad: Kevin Bacon's bare penis.
Sadly, Wikipedia says she had implants for the movie. I thought possibly she had used a body double.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Sep 2017, 12:47

Warren wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 10:34
I see what you're saying.
What I'm saying, is I wouldn't have minded the oppression stuff if they got the math and science right. I don't mind civil rights as a genre. I enjoyed Selma, as it gave greater depth to the story I knew. Figures didn't provide any further insight. Likewise The Help was a good movie, well acted, good characters, etc. but not all that helpful coming out in 2011 (2009 for the book).

Reflecting a bit more on Figures, I kinda did enjoy the B story about her friend seeing the IBM machines as the future and teaching herself FORTRAN. The problem is I know they took so many liberties with the A story about calculating the trajectory I don't trust their telling of the B story.
To keep picking at this scab a bit, I wonder how folks would've reacted had Warren said he found The Imitation Game rather dull, from an Aspie & gay perspective because there's been a lot of better movies about those, because he found the math & engineering story in the film oversimplified and not what he was hoping for.
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 19 Sep 2017, 13:33

You're asking about my reaction to the revised version of what he wrote, not my reaction to what he originally wrote, which is not an analogous comparison.

If he wrote that he was tired of seeing all these gay oppression movies, my reaction would have been the same. If what he's actually tired of is not seeing enough science or movies getting the science right, then I'd say why don't you watch a documentary instead of a docu-drama.

For the record, I haven't seen Hidden Figures and don't plan to. I haven't seen The Imitation Game and don't plan to. I haven't seen Roots or The Color Purple and don't plan to. I might watch the documentary on the 13th amendment on Netflix if I get around to it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Sep 2017, 13:43

19 Sep 2017, 13:33
I haven't seen The Imitation Game and don't plan to.
ditto
I haven't seen Roots or The Color Purple and don't plan to.
Seen it. Liked it quite a bit. Think of it as fiction not history.
I haven't seen Roots
Seen it when it originally aired. Very much a landmark production.
I'd actually recommend Roots: TNGs over Roots as it takes less liberties, culminating in autobiography.
I might watch the documentary on the 13th amendment
Don't plan on watching that based on some of the reviews I've read.
Last edited by Warren on 19 Sep 2017, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 19 Sep 2017, 13:53

You're asking about my reaction to the revised version of what he wrote, not my reaction to what he originally wrote, which is not an analogous comparison.

If he wrote that he was tired of seeing all these gay oppression movies, my reaction would have been the same. If what he's actually tired of is not seeing enough science or movies getting the science right, then I'd say why don't you watch a documentary instead of a docu-drama.

For the record, I haven't seen Hidden Figures and don't plan to. I haven't seen The Imitation Game and don't plan to. I haven't seen Roots or The Color Purple and don't plan to. I might watch the documentary on the 13th amendment on Netflix if I get around to it.
I named no one, but thanks for playing.

TIG is a good movie. Haven't seen HF yet.
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Sep 2017, 15:03

I agree with tio's first two paragraphs. Going to a major Hollywood film and complaining about inaccurate math and science is like going to Applebee's and complaining about indigestion.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex