The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
the innominate one

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by the innominate one » 14 Sep 2017, 07:50

Sorry, we're all watching the latest superhero movie.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Sep 2017, 07:59

the innominate one wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 07:50
*shakes fist*
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 Sep 2017, 08:13

I did finally catch Ex Machina a couple of weeks ago. I'm still contemplating what I actually think of it.

I think it needed just one more small layer of stuff in the middle to make it a truly great film. As it is, the middle seemed stretched thin, and they could have just been bold enough to clock in a running time of 80 to 90 minutes. (Until looking it up now, I wouldn't have guessed its decisiely over 100 minutes, it seems much shorter. Which is a good thing, I suppose)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 14 Sep 2017, 09:48

dbcooper wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 07:42
At least one of you fucks contribute to this thread. I know film is dead, but it doesn't have to be so obvious ...
There's no reason to see anything until Thor 3 comes out on October 25.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 14 Sep 2017, 10:01

I keep seeing films that are "meh." They're not notably terrible or awesome.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 14 Sep 2017, 10:04

The opening scene of "The Lobster" is quite disturbing. That poor donkey!

I can't really recommend the rest of the movie although there are parts that are clever (random wild animals, the makeout scene)
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Sep 2017, 10:21

I'm almost completely out on movies. I'm struggling to think of the last one I saw. Oh - was Wick2. Forgettable. Ghost in the Shell was meh. GotG2 is the only other 2017 movie I've seen and the only one at theaters. meh+. Movies are something to do when you feel like shit.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 14 Sep 2017, 10:59

The last movie I saw in the theaters was Baby Driver, I think. Or maybe Dunkirk. Both were good. To my shame, I wasn't able to Wrath of Khan last weekend.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 14 Sep 2017, 11:19

dbcooper wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 07:59
14 Sep 2017, 07:50
*shakes fist*
Hey man, ever since Criterion split from Hulu to form Filmstruck, it's been a wasteland at my house.
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 14 Sep 2017, 11:43

I want to see Ingrid Goes West, and not just because Audrey Plaza is hot, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Theatres have people. Might wait until it's available streaming, like urine.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Sep 2017, 13:17

High School Confidential
Holy Shitsnacks! I remember seeing this a long time ago, probably when I was a tween. I dug it, but I'm digging so much deeper this time around. It's like in 1958 they said "Hey remember that hilarious Reefer Madness flick? Let's make an unrestrained version of that!" Just check out the cast. Jerry Lee Lewis is only a cameo at the beginning where he plays the his titular hit on the back of a truck. You'll recognize Russ Tamblyn as Riff from the movie version of West Side Story. It's so over the top it's surreal. What a hoot!
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 14 Sep 2017, 13:31

Russ Tamblyn (also in Twin Peaks) is father to hottie Amber Tamblyn, who is married to David Cross. David looks a bit like Russ. Coincidence? I'm sure that's it.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Sep 2017, 14:32

Fine. The Come and See restoration may have been excellent but the film is still unwatchable. I thought Suspira was a campy, cult horror movie when it first opened, could care less if someone wants to do a remake. Belle de Jour is the only Buñuel film I've seen that I actually liked and would consider seeing again.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 14 Sep 2017, 14:36

Watching Tropic Thunder. Enjoyed watching Ben Stiller get shot.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 14 Sep 2017, 15:51

The last few nights have been movies that should have been better, good ideas that the writers weren't quite up to the task: Wild Wild West and League of Extraordinary Gentleman. Flawed but enjoyable. Also watched Hidden Figures, which is entirely predictable and cliched, and yet at the end when they remind you that these were real people you realize the script details might have been hackneyed but the gist of it was likely completely true, and that's what the movie is counting on us buying. The triumph of truthiness over bothering to have decent writers.

When I am elected god-king, one of my first laws is that movies "based on a true story" will have to have a running ticker under it blinking "This actually happened" or "author claims this happened but it is under dispute" or "this didn't happen but the writers/focus groups felt it made the movie better". I'm sure the viewing public would think this ruins movies but for me it would be far more enjoyable because I could shut off that part of my brain that is constantly trying to sort out fact from artistic license, which is quite distracting.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Sep 2017, 17:12

14 Sep 2017, 11:43
I want to see Ingrid Goes West, and not just because Audrey Plaza is hot, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Theatres have people. Might wait until it's available streaming, like urine.
Same here. It's showing at the theaters that sell beer, though, so that's a plus.

One of them screened Serenity this week, so I did that because I've only seen it in 720 or 1080 since it left theaters the first time, and they were showing it in 4K. It is still good by the standards of its time, when there'd been a long-ish drought of good sci-fi. The best film sci-fi of the previous ten years had been The Matrix and ID4 which are fine popcorn movies but nothing more, and more thoughtful pieces like Gattaca and Contact, of which the former was excellent and the latter inhabits a soft spot in my heart despite its obvious flaws. In comparison, it was quite good - more fun than Gattaca and Contact, but with a touch more depth than ID4 and The Matrix (I know the latter is a controversial opinion, but I have always felt that The Matrix was cool and fun but that I barely cared if the characters lived or died and that the plot/themes were silly). Recently there have been some better films to compare to, and it doesn't hold up like it used to.

Watched The Nice Guys this weekend. Fun stupid movie. It's kind of fun to watch bad things happen to Ryan whosits. Requires a great deal of suspension of disbelief, but otherwise it is nicely absurd in a somewhat novel way, so solid 3/5.

I liked Hidden Figures, but then again I like all the space heroes movies and am just fine with them being idealized and a touch saccharine.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Sep 2017, 17:23

You guys are alright.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 14 Sep 2017, 17:50

lunchstealer wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 17:12
I liked Hidden Figures, but then again I like all the space heroes movies and am just fine with them being idealized and a touch saccharine.
Oh absolutely, even while seeing its flaws there's no way I could be curmudgeonly about such a feel good story, especially involving the Space Race. And I realized that I don't think I'm the intended audience; I think the audience are families with kids, it's basically a safe-for-kids/safe-for-adults family movie.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Sep 2017, 18:18

dead_elvis wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 17:50
lunchstealer wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 17:12
Oh absolutely, even while seeing its flaws there's no way I could be curmudgeonly about such a feel good story, especially involving the Space Race. And I realized that I don't think I'm the intended audience; I think the audience are families with kids, it's basically a safe-for-kids/safe-for-adults family movie.
It's basically October Sky but with shitty casting for the supporting cast. Costner < Cooper, Dunst < Dern. The main cast were pretty good, though.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Sep 2017, 19:28

The eclipse didn't throw as much shade as I did at Hidden Figures. I wasn't interested in the romance story (seriously, I wish they'd leave that out of so many movies) and I've had a lifetime of America's history of oppression movies/documentaries. I cared about the math/science and the people that made the movie did not.

ETA
lunchstealer wrote:The best film sci-fi of the previous ten years had been The Matrix and ID4
LOL The Matrix is closer to twenty years ago old bean.
I liked it plenty when it came out, but so many movies have copied it's aesthetic since then I don't want to look at it anymore.

PPS
Loved me some October Sky.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Sep 2017, 20:58

Warren wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 19:28
The eclipse didn't throw as much shade as I did at Hidden Figures. I wasn't interested in the romance story (seriously, I wish they'd leave that out of so many movies) and I've had a lifetime of America's history of oppression movies/documentaries. I cared about the math/science and the people that made the movie did not.

ETA
lunchstealer wrote:The best film sci-fi of the previous ten years had been The Matrix and ID4
LOL The Matrix is closer to twenty years ago old bean.
I liked it plenty when it came out, but so many movies have copied it's aesthetic since then I don't want to look at it anymore.

PPS
Loved me some October Sky.
And Serenity is how many years ago?

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 14 Sep 2017, 21:55

The closest to good sci-fi movies besides the Matrix (ID4 is bad.) I can remember from 1995 to 2005 were Cube (AKA "Saw before Saw but also good") and Event Horizon (AKA " You're really going to take advice from a guy who ripped his own eyes out?).

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 Sep 2017, 22:12

I'm surprised Jim Parsons was in Hidden Figures because he's at the stage of his career where he needs to be Not Sheldon Cooper, but he was Sheldon Cooper But Even Worse.

But then again I thought he was just being Sheldon Cooper in the Normal Heart, but appatently the internet disagrees and thinks he actually has range.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Sep 2017, 23:19

lunchstealer wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 20:58
And Serenity is how many years ago?
Ah Gotcha.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Sep 2017, 23:47

Kolohe wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 22:12
I'm surprised Jim Parsons was in Hidden Figures because he's at the stage of his career where he needs to be Not Sheldon Cooper, but he was Sheldon Cooper But Even Worse.

But then again I thought he was just being Sheldon Cooper in the Normal Heart, but appatently the internet disagrees and thinks he actually has range.
Yeash, yes. Absolutely horrible casting choice.