The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 16:26
I saw 1917 the other day. Not as depressing as I was afraid it was going to be, but about as close as a major film is ever going to get to the horror of war in general and WW1 in particular.

The only thing that seemed wrong was the German pilot stabbing Blake after the latter had just saved the pilot from burning to death. The stabbing felt like an un-natural reaction to the situation.

Definitely the best film I have seen this year.
Well I mean he was a murderous Hun. Eating babies is an un-natural reaction, too.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren »

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

My deepest connection with Spider-Man was Spider-Man 67' which bequeathed the web slinger with the greatest of all superhero theme songs. I never read the comics. I have seen the Sony movies and various other places he's shown up.

While I'm not as squee with this as some others, I do think it is the best Spider-Man movie. Lots of fun and uniquely accomplished at hanging lampshade after lampshade over how many ways the character has been used and abused over the years into the plot.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren »

A couple from "Movies You May Have Missed in 2019".

High Flying Bird
Well worth the price of admission. It's an all dialog movie. But I like a lot of well scripted yakety yak. From the interweb:
Director Steven Soderbergh is proving with each new film that he can make quality cinema on his own terms, outside the traditional studio system. High Flying Bird, a Netflix film shot entirely on an iPhone, is his latest example. Shot on a measly $2 million budget, the movie stars André Holland as an NBA agent working behind the scenes to end a financially devastating lockout. It’s catnip for sports business fans, but also accessible to anyone who enjoys smart, fast-paced human drama. The screenplay was written by Moonlight co-writer Tarell Alvin McCraney.
Blinded by the Light
If the description of this movie ended at
  • A Pakistani teenager in Margret Thatcher's England is caught between a demanding Old World father at home, and the violent racism of the National Front outside, struggles to find love, friendship, and a life of personal expression
I'd have given it a pass. But when you ammend
  • and finds salvation through the music of Bruce Springsteen.
to it, suddenly I'm intrigued.

I really liked this a lot. It also purports to be based on a true story and provides photographs of the actual major characters during credits. There's a lot of cookie-cutter feel-goodness to it but there is much originality as well. Perhaps the best part of this is in how it has a forward "moral lesson" plot and that isn't wagging it's finger in my face about it. I'm allowed to not be racist. It's not a musical per se. There is music and at one point at least they take the song and the action too far for disbelief, as you do. The high-point of the film is set to music. It uses a gimmick, but it uses it effectively.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I checked to make sure Leslie Nielsen was already dead before I note that the Naked Gun is not good. The theme song is solid though.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

HOW DARE YOU, SIR

(Funny timing, though; I actually just rewatched part of it the other day and was marveling at how well a lot of it has held up)
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 01:37
HOW DARE YOU, SIR

(Funny timing, though; I actually just rewatched part of it the other day and was marveling at how well a lot of it has held up)
Damnit Ellie! The correct response was:
IS THIS SOME KIND OF BUST?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

Finally got around to watching Joker the other night. And while I'd heard it was good, I was really surprised at just how good it was.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Parasite is quite good. It is not subtle and the ending is telegraphed but it punches in lots of directions and the acting is good.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 20:45
Parasite is quite good. It is not subtle and the ending is telegraphed but it punches in lots of directions and the acting is good.
Everybody says so. But subtitles really diminish the experience for me. It's been many years since I've put up with them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The Homesman is a bleak-ass western. Good cameos/bit parts from John Lithgow, James Spader, Tim Blake Nelson, and Meryl Streep. I also like that instead of making Hillary Swank's character a one-dimensional selfless saint, they made her into a more complex character with needs and weaknesses. Weird seeing Tommy Lee Jones as a no-account drifter rather than a weathered authority figure, but he did a decent job.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman