The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jake
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Jake » 20 Nov 2019, 20:53

I love the opening credit sequence.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

JD
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by JD » 20 Nov 2019, 21:06

Hugh Akston wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 15:49
Also it's not the studio. Zach Snyder is a bad director.
I don't know, Wonder Woman was OK. But it does seem like all he's really good for is biff pow superhero movies without much depth, and Watchmen was probably beyond his.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 20 Nov 2019, 22:50

Eric the .5b wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 20:35
I should get around to Snyder's Watchmen. I keep catching clips from it and noping out, but I feel like I'm missing the full right to shake my head at it without seeing it. (And I might actually enjoy some of it.)
The biggest problem with it is he just doesn't quite understand all the material. He gets some of it but fumbles or misses on a lot of it. Also they try to make it an action movie in some ways and it really isn't. There's a lot of unnecessary ass kicking. Whether that was his influence or the studios I don't know but it only increases its disjointedness.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Nov 2019, 00:54

JD wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 21:06
Hugh Akston wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 15:49
Also it's not the studio. Zach Snyder is a bad director.
I don't know, Wonder Woman was OK. But it does seem like all he's really good for is biff pow superhero movies without much depth, and Watchmen was probably beyond his.
Wonder Woman was in fact OK, because Snyder was only allowed to do producing and collaborate on the story. Patty Jenkins directed.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 23 Nov 2019, 12:07

Guys like Terry Melcher, who would fuck Candice Bergen then go up to Spahn Ranch to get VD from an unbathed Manson girl, were like the heterosexual version of bug chasers
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 23 Nov 2019, 12:20

Guys like Terry Melcher, who would fuck Candice Bergen then go up to Spahn Ranch to get VD from an unbathed Manson girl, were like the heterosexual equivalent of bug chasers

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Nov 2019, 21:26

Knives Out was a fun whodunit. Good writing, excellent framing with numerous little visual jokes peppered in. With so many actors of note the talent couldn't help but be underutilized in a two-hour movie, but they all did well and will surely crowds. It did a good job of paying off the breadcrumbs while simultaneously undercutting people who claim to have known the solution all along.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Nov 2019, 19:29

Finally got around to watching Nashville. It's clearly an Altman movie. His trademark moves are all over it. But I'm not seeing what everybody else is seeing. I get the "day in the life of" motif, but I would have like a little more coherent narrative. While I would usually prefer someone else to Jeff Goldblum, they could have simply cut him completely and had a better picture. A little comic relief would have also gone a long way.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Nov 2019, 20:19

Hugh Akston wrote:
28 Nov 2019, 21:26
Knives Out was a fun whodunit. Good writing, excellent framing with numerous little visual jokes peppered in. With so many actors of note the talent couldn't help but be underutilized in a two-hour movie, but they all did well and will surely crowds. It did a good job of paying off the breadcrumbs while simultaneously undercutting people who claim to have known the solution all along.
Didn't like it. Denouement came too early, cast needed better dialog. I want that house, though.

Jake

Post by Jake » 30 Nov 2019, 02:30

I'm digging the Mandalorian a lot more than I thought I would. See, I love Star Wars, but I'm not a Boba Fett fanboy. This guy isn't Boba Fett, though. The show is absolutely a Western; scrape off the aliens and the other recognizably Star Wars stuff and you could easily place it in the Firefly 'Verse.

It's good stuff.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Nov 2019, 08:46

Jake wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 02:30
I'm digging the Mandalorian a lot more than I thought I would. See, I love Star Wars, but I'm not a Boba Fett fanboy. This guy isn't Boba Fett, though. The show is absolutely a Western; scrape off the aliens and the other recognizably Star Wars stuff and you could easily place it in the Firefly 'Verse.

It's good stuff.
I just don't have any more shits to give to Star Wars.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Nov 2019, 12:29

On Thanksgiving some friends were adamant that I need to see The Mandalorian. So they showed me the first episode. It was OK. They asked if I wanted to see the next one. I told them that it was obviously very important to them that I see the second episode, so we watched the second episode. It was OK. They asked if I wanted to see the third one. Again, I told them that I could see how important it was to them that I see the third one. So I saw the third one.

Then, the ones who don't work for Disney gave me a detailed breakdown of the rate structure for the Disney streaming service. The one friend who does work for Disney didn't seem to give a shit. The ones who don't work for Disney discussed the benefits of subscribing. So I said "I'll think about it."

After that they seemed satisfied, and we were able to eat turkey in peace.

My friends care very deeply about Star Wars.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Dec 2019, 09:30

The disproportionate age of everyone in The Irishman is really alienating.

Advanced CGI de-aging my ass.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Dec 2019, 09:35

The apparent ages fluctuate suddenly, and Harvey Keitel just looks weird.