The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by JD » 19 Dec 2018, 14:57

Warren wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 14:14
Eric the .5b wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 13:42
The Thing is frickin' awesome, and, among other things, a reminder of how cool practical effects and matte paintings were at their height.
It's a gross out movie and therefore, special effects not withstanding, unawesome.
Oh Warren, how wrong you are. It's a gross-out movie only in the sense that it features some gross special effects, but they are in the service of a real story. The ending of The Thing is one of the classic bleak movie endings, IMO.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Dec 2018, 15:08

Yeah the Thing is a must-see. The effects are astounding, but it's also the rare (only?) Carpenter movie where script, performance, direction, tone, and pacing all line up to make a movie that really sticks with you.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Dec 2018, 15:31

Yeah I don't like horror as a genre and I think The Thing is important filmmaking.

The upcoming Dark Crystal TV show led me to realize that I'd never seen The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, or The Neverending Story. I realize I'm a bit of a unicorn in that by Xer standards.

And Willow and Legend.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Dec 2018, 15:36

The Dark Crystal was actually better than I remembered, when I rewatched it on DVD. And it's really just a Hell of a thing—a one-off fantasy movie where the whole world was built out of the whole cloth (literally...).
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2018, 18:18

lunchstealer wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 15:31
Yeah I don't like horror as a genre and I think The Thing is important filmmaking.

The upcoming Dark Crystal TV show led me to realize that I'd never seen The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, or The Neverending Story. I realize I'm a bit of a unicorn in that by Xer standards.

And Willow and Legend.
I'm going to have to ask you for your Geek Card and Pocket Protector.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Dec 2018, 19:04

Warren wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 18:18
lunchstealer wrote:

And Willow and Legend.
You can find it in my copy the Babylon 5 Complete Fifth Season DVD box.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2018, 19:10

Labyrinth had it's drawbacks but on the whole well worth watching. The Neverending Story was 90 minutes I'll never get back.
As to The Dark Crystal, well everything Jim Henson ever touched is the best of its kind.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 19 Dec 2018, 20:04

lunchstealer wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 19:04
Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:

And Willow and Legend.
They had better be there along with the signed script for episode 10 or GTFO.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Dec 2018, 23:24

Kwix wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 20:04
lunchstealer wrote:
Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:

And Willow and Legend.
Hah! Jokes on you, because like the signed script for ep 10, my geek card, pocket protector, and B5/S5 DVDs all do not exist because I stopped buying after Season 4 because, as everyone knows, Season 5 was garbage. Like Season 1 garbage but without the benefit of "Mind War" "Babylon Squared" or "Chrysalis".

Also, do you mean episode 12? "Phoenix Rising" is a gawdawful telegoth story that can't be saved by the presence of Bester and one of the approximately 500 B5 eps that JMS wrote anyway, so whatevs. "Day of the Dead" OTOH was penned by an obscure Brit named Neil Gaiman and one of the only good episodes that season. That script I wouldn't mind a signed copy of.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2018, 23:58

lunchstealer wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 23:24
Kwix wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 20:04
lunchstealer wrote:
Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:

And Willow and Legend.
Hah! Jokes on you, because like the signed script for ep 10, my geek card, pocket protector, and B5/S5 DVDs all do not exist because I stopped buying after Season 4 because, as everyone knows, Season 5 was garbage. Like Season 1 garbage but without the benefit of "Mind War" "Babylon Squared" or "Chrysalis".

Also, do you mean episode 12? "Phoenix Rising" is a gawdawful telegoth story that can't be saved by the presence of Bester and one of the approximately 500 B5 eps that JMS wrote anyway, so whatevs. "Day of the Dead" OTOH was penned by an obscure Brit named Neil Gaiman and one of the only good episodes that season. That script I wouldn't mind a signed copy of.
Poser
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 23 Dec 2018, 08:53

Watched a bunch of bad movies with a friend yesterday. By watching all these movies, I think I quintupled my 2018 movie watching.

1. Bloodsport. Somehow I had never seen this one. I really appreciate 1980s action movies like this that can get everything done in 90 minutes. It also seemed like The Godfather compared to the other movies we watched.

2. Snake Eater (1989). We picked one this blind. It turns out it's Lorenzo Lamas' first major movie. It's pretty bad in an entertaining way. Whereas well-made 80s movies like Bloodsport or Commando cram all the backstory into a few opening scenes, this one kinda skips it all and ends up incoherent with some pretty odd tonal shifts. I imagine this was originally much longer and received a severe editing job like Stallone's Cobra. It starts with Lorenzo as a cop who doesn't play by the rules, then there's a bar fight, and then it's Lorenzo vs. a murderous clan of hillbillies. It's basically a grab bag of different 80s action movies mashed into one, plus some heavy Deliverance.

3. Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (1991). I was amazed that my buddy, a connoisseur of terrible movies, had never seen this one. It's basically the committee that created Poochie trying to update Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid into an 80s action movie. You get bikers, lots of cigarettes, a futuristic drug, Mickey Rourke and Don Johnson, Tom Sizemore and a Baldwin brother, an armored truck heist, and millions of rounds fired. The armored truck heist paired with dealing with the rich guy in a big building anticipated Heat by about 5 years, which is made more surreal by Tom Sizemore being involved in both, and there's a scene with a high rise, a helicopter, and a gatling gun that True Lies borrowed from.

4. Mankillers (1987). This one is MST3K-tier bad. If Bloodsport and Harley Davidson are both A-level bad movies and Snake Eater is B-level, then this one is C- or D-level. Terrible acting, terrible camera work, terrible writing, terrible editing, and terrible sets that are made of materials scavenged from other bad movies. It's so bad that it's difficult to even enjoy making fun of it.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 23 Dec 2018, 11:58

My grad students came over for dinner tonight. They laughed their asses off at Commando. Some things are universal.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Dec 2018, 16:39

dbcooper wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 11:58
My grad students came over for dinner tonight. They laughed their asses off at Commando. Some things are universal.
So you have grad students now? Congrats, professor! You now have an army of dependents who can carry your reputation forward!
"just build a quantum foam wall and make the tardigrades pay for it."
--Hugh

dhex

Post by dhex » 23 Dec 2018, 22:33

Bloodsport is fantastic.

Eta: kickboxer is also worth your time. It's crazy.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Dec 2018, 19:13

The Post is an eyerolly turd with an extreme amount of talent all sniffing own farts.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 25 Dec 2018, 19:45

dhex wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 22:33
Bloodsport is fantastic.

Eta: kickboxer is also worth your time. It's crazy.
DO NOT WATCH KICKBOXER 2! DON'T DO IT!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Dec 2018, 23:22

The new Watership Down was quite good, much better than the 1970s cartoon (not that this is saying much). I still wish they'd done more with the rabbit mythologies and folktales, though.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 Dec 2018, 21:08

JasonL wrote:
25 Dec 2018, 19:13
The Post is an eyerolly turd with an extreme amount of talent all sniffing own farts.
It was possibly the first movie where Meryl Streep annoyed me.

From what I understand, Katherine Graham had already long established that she was 'in charge' and not a debutante dilletante who had the big boss job thrust upon her due to her husband's untimely death.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Jan 2019, 17:56

Kolohe wrote:
26 Dec 2018, 21:08
JasonL wrote:
25 Dec 2018, 19:13
It was possibly the first movie where Meryl Streep annoyed me.

From what I understand, Katherine Graham had already long established that she was 'in charge' and not a debutante dilletante who had the big boss job thrust upon her due to her husband's untimely death.
(1) You clearly haven't seen enough Meryl Streep movies. (2) There's in charge and then there's in charge. As with all things sexist, the notion of a woman owning a major city newspaper, though not yet a rival to the NY Times, was, how to put it? unsettling to many. Remember, in those days the style section was called "For and About Women." But, yeah, by the time of Watergate KG had firmly established her own personal control of WaPo.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Jan 2019, 18:16

The thing is, I think they gave Judith Martin maybe a bit too much credit along those lines, though that part was the most fun.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Jan 2019, 16:27

The Streep take on Thatcher was the most ugh you can have in a movie.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 05 Jan 2019, 13:24

A Man Escaped was pretty bloody good. If someone wants to loosely remake it, then they should do it as a thriller based upon the relationship with Jost. Mals Mikkelsen should be the lead actor.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jan 2019, 19:33

Chappaquiddick

The problem isn't that it goes too easy on Teddy. The problem isn't that it skewers Teddy. The problem is it drags. It takes half an hour to get the girl out of the water. Where there is dialog however, it is hilarious. "We need to tell the truth... or at least our version of it" hardy har har
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 17 Jan 2019, 13:11

Last night I saw the 1984 version of She, and let me tell you if you are into bad movies this one is a jewel. It's like a mashup of Beyond Thunderdome and Red Sonja on acid (in fact, it stars Sandahl Bergman of RS). It's extremely loosely based on H. Rider Haggard's "She", re-imagined as a post-apocalyptic sword-and-sandal B-movie. The acting is terrible, the writing is terrible, the editor was apparently both blind and blind drunk, the costuming is sub-high-school-play quality. There is, however, a pretty awesome, if usually intrusive and inappropriate, 1980s hair metal soundtrack. And while 99% of the production value is "what can we make out of stuff we found at the local Goodwill?" there are occasional flashes of...well, not brilliance, but something that could have worked in a better movie. It's probably the best movie ever to feature Sandahl Bergman fighting centurions, samurai, a robotic Frankenstein's monster, orgiastic werewolf/vampire people, a telekinetic Communist cult leader, a big hairy guy in a tutu, and of course your requisite post-apocalyptic bad guys wearing football shoulder pads, motorcycle helmets, capes, etc. If you start to watch but feel the movie is too stupid and tiresome to continue with, I beg you to at least watch until you see the guy in the sailor suit/Daniel Boone costume who communicates by doing celebrity impressions.

Best line from a libertarian perspective:
"Our law is She, the goddess. Who is your god?"
"Our god? We don't have a god, we do business."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 17 Jan 2019, 16:43

JD wrote:
17 Jan 2019, 13:11
I beg you to at least watch until you see the guy in the sailor suit/Daniel Boone costume who communicates by doing celebrity impressions.
Well I'm sold.

Oh yeah.
She.jpg
She.jpg (84.11 KiB) Viewed 16 times