The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by JD » 29 Oct 2018, 16:55

Watched Border last night. It's weird, but I really liked it; I thought it was extremely well-made. It's a kind of movie I don't think could or would be made here in America (it's Swedish), and I think it says something that it was directed by someone who is himself an immigrant It's really difficult to say anything specific about it without spoiling it, though. It follows a woman who works a dreary job as a customs officer, and lives with her lazy, boorish boyfriend; her life revolves around her job, putting up with her useless boyfriend, and visiting her elderly father in the nursing home. But she seems to be able to sniff out emotions in people, which helps her at her job. She is also, to be blunt, extremely ugly: she tells people that she has a chromosomal abnormality, and is also unable to have children as a result of it. But then one day at work she runs into a man who looks a lot like her, and has kind of a smirking, knowing attitude; she invites him into her life and everything changes.

<rot13>
V guvax gur snpg gung gur qverpgbe vf na vzzvtenag uvzfrys vf fvtavsvpnag orpnhfr, vg'f nobhg, nf gur gvgyr vzcyvrf, orvat ba gur bhgfvqr, orvat ba gur bgure fvqr bs n yvar, orvat va fbpvrgl ohg abg bs fbpvrgl. Naq ng gur fnzr gvzr gur zbivr pbhyqa'g unir orra znqr va Nzrevpn orpnhfr jr qba'g unir gur fnzr genqvgvba bs napvrag fhcreangheny perngherf urer. Fbzrguvat V unqa'g ernyvmrq hagvy V fnj n zragvba bs vg vf gung gur zbivr nyfb gvrf va jvgu Fjrqvfu uvfgbel: gurl unir n ybat uvfgbel bs ercerffvat gurve bja "cevzvgvir" rguavp zvabevgvrf, naq sbe qrpnqrf, gurl cenpgvprq pbzchyfbel fgrevyvmngvba, juvpu jnf pneevrq bhg znvayl ba zvabevgl jbzra naq gubfr qrrzrq bs onq punenpgre be trargvpnyyl haqrfvenoyr.
</rot13>
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 29 Oct 2018, 20:16

Andrew wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 13:56
Hugh Akston wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 10:50
Andrew wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 07:39
Hugh Akston wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 23:24
I wanted to get a horror movie for Halloween, but the It remake turned out to be a kids adventure story.
You should've gone with Dead Ringers.
I've always been pretty meh on Cronenberg tbh.
Now your Halloween will consist of dbcooper hunting you down.
Damn right.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Nov 2018, 02:31

Mandy was fucking rad.

Was great to see something that took advantage of what digital cameras can do. Especially given that it was set in the past.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Nov 2018, 10:02

dbcooper wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 02:31
Mandy was fucking rad.
LOL You funny. Barry Manilow was many things, okay he was one thing, but rad wasn't it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 20 Nov 2018, 03:22

Deathgasm was OK.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 22 Nov 2018, 01:32

Even for me this might be a little much:
ONE HEAT MINUTE is the podcast examining Michael Mann's 1995 crime saga HEAT, minute by minute.
https://oneheatminute.com/podcast/2017/ ... pisode-100

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Nov 2018, 16:24

I saw Atlas Shrugged pt 1 in the theater.
I saw Atlas Shrugged pt 2 in my living room.
I did not hate them. Don't @ me.

I saw Atlas Shrugged pt 3 last night.
Oh dear. It's not just bad. If you liked the book, you'll hate the movie. If you didn't like the book, the movie might work for you as a comedy.
I didn't so much like the book, but it was a part of my coming of age and philosophical evolution. I slogged through the movie, and after I resigned myself to its awfulness, was able to relax and enjoy bits of it. Laura Regan was probably the best thing about it. The Hannity, Beck, and Paul cameos were surreal. They all played themselves. Probably improvising their parts.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Dec 2018, 00:14

The baboon scene from The Omen was very, very good.