Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
tr0g

Re: Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Post by tr0g »

Andrew wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 14:41
tr0g wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 14:23
Andrew wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 13:47 Today's run was 80+ degrees, 70% humidity, and 70+ dew point (at 6:30 am, no less). I don't know if I've ever been sweatier. I definitely didn't get any wetter by jumping in the pool afterward.
Wait, I thought you were in the desert in AZ? Those numbers seem off.

For Arizona, I mean. Your humidity is too low for Houston.
Monsoon season.
I always remember that as starting in August when I lived in El Paso. I didn't realize/remember it started this early. YLSNED.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I managed to run 13.1 miles this morning in 1:44 (just a tiny bit under 8 minutes per mile). Not bad for being 210 pounds.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

I have been doing these pushups when I go to the gym. (/brag Just don't ask me how many times a week I go...) Hopefully image loads for other people.

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

JD wrote: 18 May 2019, 12:43 I have been doing these pushups when I go to the gym. (/brag Just don't ask me how many times a week I go...) Hopefully image loads for other people.

Master your body weight!
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Andrew wrote: 18 May 2019, 13:57
JD wrote: 18 May 2019, 12:43 I have been doing these pushups when I go to the gym. (/brag Just don't ask me how many times a week I go...) Hopefully image loads for other people.

Master your body weight!
This the genteel version, with just a little carpet foreplay.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
nicole

Post by nicole »

Andrew wrote: 18 May 2019, 12:27 I managed to run 13.1 miles this morning in 1:44 (just a tiny bit under 8 minutes per mile). Not bad for being 210 pounds.
Nice!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
JD

Post by JD »

My elbows have been twinging a little bit lately, so I wanted to lay off anything that might put a lot of stress on them, but I still wanted to do something that would use my upper body and core, so I tried Zercher lunges. Holy crap are my legs sore now.

(I did not drop the barbell like a musclehead dudebro, though)
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Andrew wrote: 18 May 2019, 12:27 I managed to run 13.1 miles this morning in 1:44 (just a tiny bit under 8 minutes per mile). Not bad for being 210 pounds.
Congrats. Though I did a double take at first because I thought that time was minutes and seconds, Flash.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I just found out I can rent a fat bike for $10/day at the campus rec center. I don't even know what you use a fat bike for, but I want to rent it because it sounds cool :lol:
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 13:27 I just found out I can rent a fat bike for $10/day at the campus rec center. I don't even know what you use a fat bike for, but I want to rent it because it sounds cool :lol:
Let's go to the YouTubes

Looks like an excellent choice if you're going trail riding. I would say riding a fat bike around on city streets is strictly a hipster thing. Though once the snow flies, a fat bike might be just the thing.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

They're popular here as winter city bikes for riding around town in the snow, amongst masochists.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 13:37
Ellie wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 13:27 I just found out I can rent a fat bike for $10/day at the campus rec center. I don't even know what you use a fat bike for, but I want to rent it because it sounds cool :lol:
Let's go to the YouTubes

Looks like an excellent choice if you're going trail riding. I would say riding a fat bike around on city streets is strictly a hipster thing. Though once the snow flies, a fat bike might be just the thing.
That actually sounds neat, if I had a handy forest trail to ride.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

JD wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 19:27 My elbows have been twinging a little bit lately, so I wanted to lay off anything that might put a lot of stress on them, but I still wanted to do something that would use my upper body and core, so I tried Zercher lunges. Holy crap are my legs sore now.

(I did not drop the barbell like a musclehead dudebro, though)
I wasn't familiar with this grip type until I saw your post. I tried some Zercher squats last week, and I think I prefer them to regular front squats.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Since it's hard to leave the apartment and go to the gym now, is it time for us to all master our own bodyweights?
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Back in October my employer bought us all Pelotons and is paying for our subscriptions.

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Wake up, PT, ice, breakfast of smoothie, walk around house/down street weather permitting, Netflix, walk around house, ice, lunch PT, ice, walk around, elevate, PT, ice, dinner, walk around, Netflix, ice, elrvate.

Sprinkle opioids in as needed.
nicole

Post by nicole »

Time to take up running
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

nicole wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 13:11 Time to take up running
This is the most blackpill thing you've ever said.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 13:09 Wake up, PT, ice, breakfast of smoothie, walk around house/down street weather permitting, Netflix, walk around house, ice, lunch PT, ice, walk around, elevate, PT, ice, dinner, walk around, Netflix, ice, elrvate.

Sprinkle opioids in as needed.
Needs moar pr0n
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Any recommendations on ordering and setting up resistance bands?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I have these from Target. They also come in light and medium flavors, and they're good a for a variety of squats and lifts. I'm looking into getting a door anchor of some sort so I can do pulls and other exercises.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I confess I want to get this even though $120 is an absurd amount to spend on a wobbly plastic board and a smartphone game. I have godawful core strength and I hate ab exercises more than any other (and I really hate exercising so that's saying something.)
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I have to possibly go to jury duty in a couple weeks (which is fucking bullshit under the current circumstances) which led me to worry about blood pressure and that led to a home blood pressure/EKG thingy (it's the one that carries the FDA seal of approval) which led me to discover that absent my annual summer hiking exercise combined with perhaps drinking a bit more my blood pressure has shot up (not a good thing for covid!).

Anyone have any advice about buying an exercise bike? Things to look for/things to avoid? I'm from Barcelona, I know nothing about this sort of product and there's a bewildering number of choices. I'd like to spend less than $350 or so, seems like a lot of options in that range.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Do you have a road bike? If so you can get a trainer stand that converts it to stationary mode for a couple hundred bucks.