Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Post by JasonL » 08 Aug 2017, 19:21

Too much forward fold at the bottom with the bar. Also maybe think about squeezing your butt forward. It's less stand uppy and more butt squeezy

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 Aug 2017, 13:20

JasonL wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 19:21
Too much forward fold at the bottom with the bar. Also maybe think about squeezing your butt forward. It's less stand uppy and more butt squeezy
Thank you!

Unrelated:
I am taking a few days off from dieting to practice eating at maintenance. Holy hell, real cream in my coffee again. I'm not sure I'll have the willpower to return to the diet.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Aug 2017, 15:34

I treated myself to a body composition test via BodPod today. I am actually closer to my body fat goal than expected. Pretty cool! Hopefully it can fuel a push to the dieting finish line over the next couple months. Remind me of how close I am in a week when I'm whining about missing peanut butter and coffee with real cream. :lol:

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Aug 2017, 20:57

Last week at the Y, I joined an exercise class on a whim. The only other participant was an older woman with some mobility problems, and even though I am able bodied and half her age, I felt kind of cocky being the fittest person in a class and being able to do a lot of jumping-around stuff that she couldn't.

Well, pride goeth, etc etc. This week instead of jumping it was a lot of upper-body lifts, and she SMOKED me. She was plowing through sets with 10# dumbbells while I had to go swap out for.3# Barbie weights.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Sep 2017, 10:16

I've been stalled on weight loss for three weeks. I know I am not a medical marvel, and I am losing fat even though water retention and constipation and whatnot mean the overall number on the scale does not change. But it is hard to stay motivated when I see the same results (or lack thereof) on both the days I stick to plan and weigh all my food, and the days when I say fuck it and eat peanut butter out of the jar using a chocolate bar as a spoon (yes I did this and omg it was so good, don't ever leave me, peanut butter).

ALSO, I entered three Diet Bets this month, because I was feeling so confident, and I am going to be really mad if I lose over $100 just because I'm bloated.

Sorry, just had to whine about it somewhere.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 03 Sep 2017, 13:08

That sucks. Biology is complicated and rarely is a perfectly smooth function. Just know you're doing the right thing long term and maybe look into some soluble fiber (that does the trick for me better than the insoluble type).
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

JD

Post by JD » 11 Sep 2017, 15:51

I'm making another effort to get back into the gym. I actually kind of like working out, it's just hard to make it a habit when it's so much easier to lie around the house. And of course I have that habit of getting back into the gym and then doing that stupid RAWR MUST WORK OUT SUPER HARD thing and wearing myself out.

But hopefully this time we can make it stick: the wife and I have agreed to go every day this week, because what happens if we agree to go, say, three times a week is that on Tuesday it's really easy to say "well, I don't have to go today", and then on Wednesday to say "well, I still have Thursday and Friday", and then on Thursday there's some other excuse and it's all downhill from there. Saying you'll go every day doesn't give you the latitude for excuses.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Sep 2017, 17:05

My body is falling apart at the joints and I can't handle any of the exercises I've always enjoyed. Minimal to no weights, shoulder can't handle my boxing workout. Hips can't handle kb swings or sprints or anything much other than walking and elliptical. It is constant boredom to workout and a constant feeling of incapacity. It is hard to keep it up. I probably need to shift gears and become a swimmer, but that comes with a bunch of other issues like scheduling around real lap time and wet clothes and showers and blah blah.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 Sep 2017, 14:35

Signed up for a 5K in four weeks! I can currently run, uh, 2K. So there's a little training to be done :lol:

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Sep 2017, 14:56

Yassssss you can do it
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Sep 2017, 15:20

Do it!