Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Post by JasonL » 08 Aug 2017, 19:21

Too much forward fold at the bottom with the bar. Also maybe think about squeezing your butt forward. It's less stand uppy and more butt squeezy

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 Aug 2017, 13:20

JasonL wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 19:21
Too much forward fold at the bottom with the bar. Also maybe think about squeezing your butt forward. It's less stand uppy and more butt squeezy
Thank you!

Unrelated:
I am taking a few days off from dieting to practice eating at maintenance. Holy hell, real cream in my coffee again. I'm not sure I'll have the willpower to return to the diet.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Aug 2017, 15:34

I treated myself to a body composition test via BodPod today. I am actually closer to my body fat goal than expected. Pretty cool! Hopefully it can fuel a push to the dieting finish line over the next couple months. Remind me of how close I am in a week when I'm whining about missing peanut butter and coffee with real cream. :lol:

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Aug 2017, 20:57

Last week at the Y, I joined an exercise class on a whim. The only other participant was an older woman with some mobility problems, and even though I am able bodied and half her age, I felt kind of cocky being the fittest person in a class and being able to do a lot of jumping-around stuff that she couldn't.

Well, pride goeth, etc etc. This week instead of jumping it was a lot of upper-body lifts, and she SMOKED me. She was plowing through sets with 10# dumbbells while I had to go swap out for.3# Barbie weights.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Sep 2017, 10:16

I've been stalled on weight loss for three weeks. I know I am not a medical marvel, and I am losing fat even though water retention and constipation and whatnot mean the overall number on the scale does not change. But it is hard to stay motivated when I see the same results (or lack thereof) on both the days I stick to plan and weigh all my food, and the days when I say fuck it and eat peanut butter out of the jar using a chocolate bar as a spoon (yes I did this and omg it was so good, don't ever leave me, peanut butter).

ALSO, I entered three Diet Bets this month, because I was feeling so confident, and I am going to be really mad if I lose over $100 just because I'm bloated.

Sorry, just had to whine about it somewhere.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 03 Sep 2017, 13:08

That sucks. Biology is complicated and rarely is a perfectly smooth function. Just know you're doing the right thing long term and maybe look into some soluble fiber (that does the trick for me better than the insoluble type).
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

JD

Post by JD » 11 Sep 2017, 15:51

I'm making another effort to get back into the gym. I actually kind of like working out, it's just hard to make it a habit when it's so much easier to lie around the house. And of course I have that habit of getting back into the gym and then doing that stupid RAWR MUST WORK OUT SUPER HARD thing and wearing myself out.

But hopefully this time we can make it stick: the wife and I have agreed to go every day this week, because what happens if we agree to go, say, three times a week is that on Tuesday it's really easy to say "well, I don't have to go today", and then on Wednesday to say "well, I still have Thursday and Friday", and then on Thursday there's some other excuse and it's all downhill from there. Saying you'll go every day doesn't give you the latitude for excuses.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Sep 2017, 17:05

My body is falling apart at the joints and I can't handle any of the exercises I've always enjoyed. Minimal to no weights, shoulder can't handle my boxing workout. Hips can't handle kb swings or sprints or anything much other than walking and elliptical. It is constant boredom to workout and a constant feeling of incapacity. It is hard to keep it up. I probably need to shift gears and become a swimmer, but that comes with a bunch of other issues like scheduling around real lap time and wet clothes and showers and blah blah.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 Sep 2017, 14:35

Signed up for a 5K in four weeks! I can currently run, uh, 2K. So there's a little training to be done :lol:

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Sep 2017, 14:56

Yassssss you can do it
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Sep 2017, 15:20

Do it!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 02 Nov 2017, 23:03

The amount of flexibility and strength I lost during the 30-day hike is very frustrating. I'm basically starting over (at best) for both weight training and yoga.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Dec 2017, 17:21

Whoa, has it already been four months since my last squat video? Feels like four weeks.

Current State of the Squat:

I think I might still be leaning forward too much at the bottom?

And an attempt with the full 45# barbell. Too heavy for proper form. :( Someday.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 06 Dec 2017, 20:04

I'm not sure it ever occurred to me that it was physically possible to drop that low. This is not a commentary on your form, but on the apparent stiffness of my hips and hamstrings (and many guys, I think).

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 06 Dec 2017, 23:18

It took me a few months of regular work to get the flexibility to squat properly.

I find that that stretch makes a lot of things better and takes pressure off my back if I do it regularly.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Dec 2017, 08:56

Wait. Back up.
Ellie has a YouTube channel?
Why was this information withheld from me?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Dec 2017, 09:56

Andrew wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 20:04
I'm not sure it ever occurred to me that it was physically possible to drop that low. This is not a commentary on your form, but on the apparent stiffness of my hips and hamstrings (and many guys, I think).
From what I've read, a lot of it is based on your overall body structure as well. Long legs, especially short torso + long legs, make squatting more difficult and just physically limit your depth. Whereas I have stumpy legs and a long torso, so squatting should be easier for me. The depth I have -- the power needs work!
Warren wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 08:56
Wait. Back up.
Ellie has a YouTube channel?
Why was this information withheld from me?
Haha! It's like two squat videos and a goofy fake commercial I made with my siblings when I had first moved back to the Midwest.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 12 Dec 2017, 22:24

1. Apparently, yoga can only be done while playing really shitty music using vaguely eastern-sounding scales. This includes incredibly terrible covers of Dylan, Neil Young, and the Beatles done to sound "eastern."

2. It's very annoying to have to try to get to one of the gym's 2 squat racks in the morning before the steroid bro and his harem monopolize both for 45 minutes.

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Dec 2017, 23:31

Andrew wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 22:24
1. Apparently, yoga can only be done while playing really shitty music using vaguely eastern-sounding scales. This includes incredibly terrible covers of Dylan, Neil Young, and the Beatles done to sound "eastern."
Couldn't they just play the parts of Beatles songs where Harrison plays the sitar?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Post by JasonL » 13 Dec 2017, 08:14

Yoga music and yoga voice are the reasons I don’t take yoga classes.

And yoga woo. Can’t we just say we are strength stretching? No? Karma up in the yoni? ok then.

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Dec 2017, 08:25

I've only been to one yoga class EVER with music. It wasn't good.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Dec 2017, 09:46

JasonL wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 08:14
Yoga music and yoga voice are the reasons I don’t take yoga classes.

And yoga woo. Can’t we just say we are strength stretching? No? Karma up in the yoni? ok then.
If you haven't seen this, you'll enjoy it. 4 min. of the best bits.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 13 Dec 2017, 10:50

nicole wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 08:25
I don't know what to say to this, Jadacole.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Dec 2017, 10:59

Sandy wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 10:50
nicole wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 08:25
I don't know what to say to this, Jadacole.
I'm pretty sure with-music is weirder. I mean I've done a lot of yoga, in a bunch of different places, and the only one that did have music specified it was a music class.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 13 Dec 2017, 12:29

I don't think I could ever do yoga cause of the spirituality. I avoided martial arts with "qi" for the same reasons.

Lol: my phone autotranslated qi to will.
Last edited by Fin Fang Foom on 13 Dec 2017, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.