Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Andrew

Re: Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Post by Andrew » 03 Nov 2016, 17:27

nicole wrote:This is all pretty ridiculous but made me want to join Equinox http://www.gq.com/story/inside-equinox-gym-secret-club
Based on that, I would join an Equinox if there were one in Phoenix. And if I were making 3x my current salary.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Nov 2016, 20:11

So since mrs lunch stole back her desk chair yesterday that I've been using for my home office, I've been trying that use-an-exercise-ball-as-an-office-chair thing that all the kids are doing these days. Gotta say, I can feel my abs every time I get up, so this has to be doing SOMETHING for my incredibly soft core.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Nov 2016, 21:45

What I learned from that Equinox article is that there is a brand of jeans called Acne. Which, ew.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 03 Nov 2016, 21:59

Andrew wrote:
nicole wrote:This is all pretty ridiculous but made me want to join Equinox http://www.gq.com/story/inside-equinox-gym-secret-club
Based on that, I would join an Equinox if there were one in Phoenix. And if I were making 3x my current salary.
That sounds nice and all but I just want a nearby gym that has a power rack. All the gyms around here are wall to wall treadmills and nautilus machines.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 03 Nov 2016, 22:30

Painboy wrote:
Andrew wrote:
That sounds nice and all but I just want a nearby gym that has a power rack. All the gyms around here are wall to wall treadmills and nautilus machines.
My former gym had 5. I didn't fully appreciate how awesome that was until I joined my current gym, which has 1 ancient one in the basement (but 2 Smith bars, wtf?), and 1 new one upstairs on the college side (so it always has a long wait).

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Nov 2016, 01:49

Ellie wrote:What I learned from that Equinox article is that there is a brand of jeans called Acne. Which, ew.
Oh "Acne". I misread that. I thought they were coyote jeans.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

nicole

Post by nicole » 04 Nov 2016, 08:07

lunchstealer wrote:So since mrs lunch stole back her desk chair yesterday that I've been using for my home office, I've been trying that use-an-exercise-ball-as-an-office-chair thing that all the kids are doing these days. Gotta say, I can feel my abs every time I get up, so this has to be doing SOMETHING for my incredibly soft core.
I started doing this over the summer and it's pretty great. No desire to go back to a chair.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 20 Nov 2016, 08:26

An article about the Anvil Quintuple Triathlon - 5 Ironman races in 5 days.

An article about Phil Heath, the 6-time winner of Mr. Olympia. The author is very big on the body image anxiety stuff, but that seems expected for someone who makes their living strictly based on their appearance.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Nov 2016, 16:14

Andrew wrote:
It made me think I needed a picture of the author to calibrate their obsessive gym-rattiness.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Feb 2017, 12:06

I just agreed to do a Ragnar in August 2018. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly, so much could happen between then and now that it really doesn't even count as A Thing, but I better get off the couch and take up running now, since all the other team members are clergy and so if I drop out it counts as lying to a priest!

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Feb 2017, 12:30

DO IT DO IT DO IT

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Feb 2017, 12:58

I'll come to you for running advice!

For now, I need to find some sort of Couch to Couch to 5K program ...

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Mar 2017, 12:30

To what extent do any of y'all care about targeting specific "problems areas" on your body, and if you are, what do you do about it? Like, should I ask a personal trainer what to do? (I don't actually have a personal trainer, but I could rent one at the gym for a while.) Should I ask my doctor?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Mar 2017, 13:37

What's the problem in the problem area? Fat loss, increasing muscle mass, increasing strength/flexibility, injuries?

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Mar 2017, 13:52

Ellie wrote:What's the problem in the problem area? Fat loss, increasing muscle mass, increasing strength/flexibility, injuries?
Mastering your own body weight?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Mar 2017, 14:07

Mo wrote:
Ellie wrote:What's the problem in the problem area? Fat loss, increasing muscle mass, increasing strength/flexibility, injuries?
Mastering your own body weight?
Now that's old school.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Mar 2017, 14:38

There is no such thing as target area fat loss. There is such a thing as improved strength or musle tone / appearance after fat has been lost.

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Mar 2017, 15:08

JasonL wrote:There is no such thing as target area fat loss. There is such a thing as improved strength or musle tone / appearance after fat has been lost.
Yeah, that's my understanding. My understanding is also basically like...there's probably nothing you can do because until you lose enough fat over your whole body, the fat is going to be in the problem spot. So you have to tone/strengthen the spot but also just lose all your bodyfat to have that actually matter.

ETA: So I guess what I'm saying is do you do anything, do you have someone tell you how to target your strength training really carefully, does that actually help, or do I just need to work on weight loss instead?

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Mar 2017, 15:10

Just to answer this question as well, decreasing volume would be the goal.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Mar 2017, 15:16

If you are micro area focused it's about overall fat loss. There is a lot to be said for proportions though. Like, if you have skinny legs and no butt, a belly band of extra fat is a very noticeable thing. If you get your squats on, your legs get stronger looking and bigger along with butt. The ratio to waist now looks favorable. In my hetero patriarchy view, I think most women trying to target most things would be better off doing squats and back and shoulders to get a stronger overall aesthetic. I think thigh gap is the worst idea of all time.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Mar 2017, 15:29

I started working with a PT to help with form on big lifts and to try to find a workout routine that isn't immediately wrecked by my goofy ectomorph proportions. Working with one that also knows dietary stuff would probably be worth it so you can combine nutrition guidance with appropriate exercises.

Also, +1 to JasonL's comments.

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Mar 2017, 15:37

Yeah, my specific thing is like, knees, calves, and ankles, so. I mean everywhere would be good so it's not like overall fat loss isn't a good goal anyway, but it's not like my fucking calves don't get exercise. But maybe not the perfect magical exercise lol.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Mar 2017, 15:37

Do you squat?

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Mar 2017, 15:40

Not regularly like I should, it's definitely a goal for this year to be doing regularly.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 07 Mar 2017, 15:42

I would seriously consider spending at least a few sessions with a trainer working on squat form.

(Speaking as someone who squatted a great deal and probably never should again).