Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Post by JasonL » 07 Mar 2017, 16:03

Squats change most leg muscle groups including calves which aren't directly targeted. I'd work with a trainer (a good one who knows olympic lifts, not one who does all their stuff on machines), to get squat form, do that once or twice a week for a bit, then see if you still want calf size. If so, move to various forms of calf raises. These aren't technical at all. You have to eat protein to get gains in this model.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 07 Mar 2017, 23:37

Train GPP and the rest will fall into place.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Mar 2017, 01:29

Number 6 wrote:Train GPP and the rest will fall into place.
Genuine People Personalities?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 08 Mar 2017, 08:07

Sandy wrote:
General Physical Preparedness. Functional fitness, IOW.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Mar 2017, 13:14

Number 6 wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Is there a particular place you would start with that? I've been researching it this morning and it seems to mean sort of different things to different people but it seems like you're saying I should start doing crossfit or just like a bunch of calisthenics or whatever?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 20 Mar 2017, 12:45

Because all my other fitness stuff isn't enough to occupy my time, I'd like to try yoga a few times per week. However, finding a studio that doesn't cause my urge to kill to instantly hit 11 (which seems counterproductive for yoga) is proving difficult.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Mar 2017, 12:54

Andrew wrote:Because all my other fitness stuff isn't enough to occupy my time, I'd like to try yoga a few times per week. However, finding a studio that doesn't cause my urge to kill to instantly hit 11 (which seems counterproductive for yoga) is proving difficult.
Because of hippy-dippy factor or other?

JasonL

Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Post by JasonL » 20 Mar 2017, 12:59

Yoga voice makes me homicidal-ish

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 20 Mar 2017, 13:00

Mostly hippy-dippy factor, but also shit websites that provide no useful info (lockers? showers? etc.).

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Mar 2017, 13:07

Andrew wrote:Mostly hippy-dippy factor, but also shit websites that provide no useful info (lockers? showers? etc.).
Ha, yeah. I don't know what it's like in your area, but the last couple studios I went to (here and in CT) had neither lockers nor showers, which seems to be fairly normal (if annoying), although the first place I ever did yoga at, years ago in Montreal, had both. I found the yoga classes offered by my (frumpy, neighborhood) gym to be way less annoying than average in many ways, just not necessarily as challenging as I might want.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Mar 2017, 14:14

I would've assumed that Lululemon customers would be the primary obstacle to not-murdery yoga studios.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 21 Mar 2017, 00:47

nicole wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Is there a particular place you would start with that? I've been researching it this morning and it seems to mean sort of different things to different people but it seems like you're saying I should start doing crossfit or just like a bunch of calisthenics or whatever?
A lot of the emphasis on GPP/functional fitness can be traced back to CrossFit, but that's certainly not the only way into functional training. Basically, think of it as doing things that have some application to how you move and do things in the world. Isolation exercises are out, core-to-extremity movements are in. Think about midline stability rather than, say, ab work. (A quick test there: get a broomstick, a piece of PVC pipe, or something similar. Hold it overhead, with a fairly wide grip and the bar over your shoulders, just a bit behind your head. Now, squat as low as you can, and come back up. If you're excessively wobbly, or can't get all the way into a squat, you've found a good place to start.) Moving weight is also a big part of GPP, but not on machines. Squat, press, deadlift, clean/jerk, and, later, snatch are the primary lifts.
Full disclosure: I'm a Kool-Aid slurping crossfitter, and have been for five years or so.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 21 Mar 2017, 10:40

Number 6 wrote:
nicole wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
Sandy wrote:
A lot of the emphasis on GPP/functional fitness can be traced back to CrossFit, but that's certainly not the only way into functional training. Basically, think of it as doing things that have some application to how you move and do things in the world. Isolation exercises are out, core-to-extremity movements are in. Think about midline stability rather than, say, ab work. (A quick test there: get a broomstick, a piece of PVC pipe, or something similar. Hold it overhead, with a fairly wide grip and the bar over your shoulders, just a bit behind your head. Now, squat as low as you can, and come back up. If you're excessively wobbly, or can't get all the way into a squat, you've found a good place to start.) Moving weight is also a big part of GPP, but not on machines. Squat, press, deadlift, clean/jerk, and, later, snatch are the primary lifts.
Full disclosure: I'm a Kool-Aid slurping crossfitter, and have been for five years or so.
On this line I would recommend the book Starting Strength. It's a very straightforward way to achieve functional strength and is the program* I have had by far the most success with. The downside is you need to find a gym that has free weights and olympic bars and weights. For me this has been rather difficult as most gyms all seem to be wall to wall cardio machines now.

*It's not really a "program" as it is a bunch of different techniques you can use depending on what you want to work on, but I don't have better word for it.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 24 Mar 2017, 01:11

Painboy wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
nicole wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
Sandy wrote:
On this line I would recommend the book Starting Strength. It's a very straightforward way to achieve functional strength and is the program* I have had by far the most success with. The downside is you need to find a gym that has free weights and olympic bars and weights. For me this has been rather difficult as most gyms all seem to be wall to wall cardio machines now.

*It's not really a "program" as it is a bunch of different techniques you can use depending on what you want to work on, but I don't have better word for it.
I second the starting strength recommendation. It pairs well with Becoming a Supple Leopard, which is a worthwhile book despite the stupid title.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Mar 2017, 09:04

I guess supple leopard is kstar of mobility wod fame? Nobody else talks like that ...

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Mar 2017, 09:12

JasonL wrote:I guess supple leopard is kstar of mobility wod fame? Nobody else talks like that ...
Tobias Fünke does

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 25 Mar 2017, 02:37

JasonL wrote:I guess supple leopard is kstar of mobility wod fame? Nobody else talks like that ...
Yep. That's the guy.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 25 Mar 2017, 17:35

Number 6 wrote:
Yep. That's the guy.
I read some reviews on that book. Is he more about "preventive" exercise where you do stuff to prevent your knees from getting bad in the first place and the like? Because I'm at that age where I realize certain unconscious habits of mine are going to start having lasting effects if I don't start taking care of things first.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Mar 2017, 17:45

He's a fascia / joint mobility through other than muscular flexibility guy. I use some of his stuff for my shoulders but I have questions a bit about real gains from myofascial rollers.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 27 Mar 2017, 00:52

Painboy wrote:
Number 6 wrote:
Yep. That's the guy.
I read some reviews on that book. Is he more about "preventive" exercise where you do stuff to prevent your knees from getting bad in the first place and the like? Because I'm at that age where I realize certain unconscious habits of mine are going to start having lasting effects if I don't start taking care of things first.
It's both preventative and aimed at fixing mobility issues. Lots of stretching, work with bands, and, of course, foam rollers.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 29 Mar 2017, 11:40

I've done two yoga sessions so far. It's been an interesting mix of the completely impossible, the tantalizingly "I'm almost capable of that," and the strange "through random chance and doing things that help my body feel better, I've been doing a variation of this for years."

The amount of woo has been tolerable although higher than I'd like. And the earnestness has been a little sickening.

dhex

Post by dhex » 29 Mar 2017, 19:34

a friend of mine teaches bear yoga classes in nyc. i'm thinking it's time for broga, the yoga for bros.

bro, you don't neck like that in downward dog, bro

seriously though i like yoga and all (it's done wonders for my back) but some of the better free stuff on youtube also has the worst banter. and not like woo-banter (i'm basically woo immune, much like you guys listen to prog rock without castrating yourselves), but like small talk that does not help anyone hold difficult poses.

i've never taken a class, though i'd like to, because a) no longer in nyc so unless said friend travels down here to teach it's not gonna happen and b) i am a sad man who does not think he'd be able to ignore that much yoga pants action and pay attention to what's going on.

there's a local teacher here i know and actually like as a person but she also does reiki and that's my 9/11 truth of nonsense from japan. maybe this summer.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 29 Mar 2017, 19:38

The time is right for prog and AOR yoga.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 29 Mar 2017, 19:45

oh you

eta: also i'm sure this is likely already a thing. yogacht!
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 29 Mar 2017, 19:51

dhex wrote:oh you

eta: also i'm sure this is likely already a thing. yogacht!
Seems so:

https://www.verlocal.com/event/austin-yoga-hatha-docks

She loses points for mentioning John Denver though. Come on, lady!
Slip inside a sleeping bag.