Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dhex

Re: Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Post by dhex » 13 Dec 2017, 12:41

Never taken a yoga class with music. Seems awful. And I like ambient music a lot.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 13 Dec 2017, 12:51

I wish it were ambient music. Some Eno or Frippertronics would be ideal. This is music that could get you or dbcooper to crack in under an hour.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 13 Dec 2017, 12:53

nicole wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 10:59
Sandy wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 10:50
nicole wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 08:25
I've only been to one yoga class EVER with music. It wasn't good.
I don't know what to say to this, Jadacole.
I'm pretty sure with-music is weirder. I mean I've done a lot of yoga, in a bunch of different places, and the only one that did have music specified it was a music class.
I envy your experience, but I can't because of what FFF says, and if you're not already in pretty great shape and a late 20s/early 30s woman, there's a great chance the classes led by people who have done eight whole weeks of training are going to hurt you.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Dec 2017, 18:09

Andrew wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 12:51
I wish it were ambient music. Some Eno or Frippertronics would be ideal. This is music that could get you or dbcooper to crack in under an hour.
/dhex/gry/prog_jokes.exe
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 14 Dec 2017, 11:42

dhex wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 18:09
Andrew wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 12:51
/dhex/gry/prog_jokes.exe
Just remix the sound of Dave Weigel listening to Triumvrat's A la Carte.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 29 Dec 2017, 10:05

Today was probably the last non-irritating gym workout for the next 4-8 weeks.

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Feb 2018, 14:25

Kettlebell people...(JasonL)

Say we want to use kettlebells but have no idea what we are doing and there's not a class-place close enough that we would actually go to. Like, we could easily go a few times, but no way would it ever be a habit. Is it the kind of thing you can learn from a couple classes and then do at home? Learn from online and do at home? Etc? Thanks
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Feb 2018, 14:38

I've never done a class. Most classes that do kettlebell stuff are goofy/dramatically wrong. (i.e. you want to see wrong, google Jillian Michaels and see how she does a kb swing, it doesn't get more wrong than that). I hate the crossfit versions of the moves. I'd just get video or book from Pavel Tsatsouline like Enter the Kettlebell and fixate on only these moves:

1) The kb swing - its your bread and butter
2) The clean and press / overhead press
3) the turkish get up
4) the kb snatch if you feel frisky

in that order. The whole thing here is you aren't looking for new and interesting ways to swing a bell, just do your swings.

1) Learn how to do a swing
2) Test yourself at a given weight doing 5 sets 10 reps. If those are easy, move to 5X20, then ultimately to 10X20
3) Get a program together of at least 3 days a week of doing 10X20 for time. Your target is say under 10 minutes.
4) to ramp up your gains, do 5 days with 2 of them being lower intensity like only 100 swings untimed or something and add some other stuff like presses or get ups to those days

The end.

EDIT: I'm told Pavel has redesigned intro kettlebell from Enter the Kettlebell into a new training program called Simple and Sinister. People I trust like that one better as intro, though I haven't seen it.

Further Edit: ladypeople should try to start no lighter than 20-25 lbs, and dude folk should start no lighter than 35 lbs. The deal is, if your forearm strength is sufficient to hold the bell horizontal in a slow raise, you will not learn correct form. It has to be heavy enough that it will dangle until you apply momentum via hip thrust.
Last edited by JasonL on 08 Feb 2018, 14:46, edited 2 times in total.

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Feb 2018, 14:44

Awesome. Thank you.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 28 Mar 2018, 23:11

I find it fascinating that the ratio of women:men drops as the yoga classes get more advanced (at least at the studio I go to). Completely the opposite of what I expected.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Mar 2018, 01:53

Andrew wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 23:11
I find it fascinating that the ratio of women:men drops as the yoga classes get more advanced (at least at the studio I go to). Completely the opposite of what I expected.
Really? I can't think of anything where that isn't the case.

EDIT
I take it back. It is (or at least was) the case in engineering. Few women went into the field. Those that did tended to do well at it. OTOH a fuckton of men washed out early.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Apr 2018, 11:19

I'm planning to walk a half-marathon or marathon (still deciding on the distance -- half makes more sense but part of me wants to go for broke).

Hikers and runners of the Gryll, what socks should I wear to avoid blisters as much as possible? I'm confident in my shoes but not my Hanes cotton socks.

Also, are there any other products I should get to help with potential chafing, etc.?
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Apr 2018, 11:29

Ellie wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 11:19
I'm planning to walk a half-marathon or marathon (still deciding on the distance -- half makes more sense but part of me wants to go for broke).

Hikers and runners of the Gryll, what socks should I wear to avoid blisters as much as possible? I'm confident in my shoes but not my Hanes cotton socks.

Also, are there any other products I should get to help with potential chafing, etc.?
Definitely, definitely, definitely, definitely get a pair of wool running socks for this. They will be expensive but I GUARANTEE you will have blisters with cotton. I've had good wool running socks from Icebreaker although my favorites are probably from Feetures (note, Feetures makes wool and nonwool ones, make sure you get ones that are "merino").

Bodyglide is also your friend here -- yes, including on your feet. I Bodyglide the tops and bottoms of my toes and also the inside of the ball-of-foot area, and sometimes heels -- anywhere you are prone to blistering, Bodyglide it. Under your arms, on the underside of your boobs, etc...you may not be prone to blistering there now, but you could be after 26 miles for sure. Also all around your panty line you may want to do this.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Apr 2018, 11:31

Oh man, I never thought about panty line chafing. I am now not confident in my Hanes cotton underwear, either.

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Apr 2018, 11:50

What will the weather be and what are you planning to wear in general? If it's going to be warm and you're comfortable in shorts, I would totally wear running shorts with a built-in brief.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 27 Apr 2018, 11:54

I strongly suggest spandex if you're like me and your thighs come in contact with each other when walking. So whatever the lady equivalent of boxer briefs. Spandex biker shorts could work as well although they tend to be a bit thicker and less comfortable in my experience.

I also second the wool socks. Cotton when it gets wet loses its shape and just turns into a brillo pad. I'm not experienced with body glide, which might be better, but I would also recommend foot powder to help keep your feet dry. That's what I used in military whenever we would do road marches.

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Apr 2018, 12:00

Yes unless you are #blessed with thigh gap you have to either wear compression bottoms of some kind or Bodyglide the nongap.

If you are doing a marathon of reasonable size the aid stations in the second half or at least last third of the course will be giving out Vaseline so you can re-up.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Apr 2018, 12:16

Walk a marathon? That would take like days.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Apr 2018, 12:18

I was planning to wear Old Navy compression leggings. I am not blessed with #thighgap and my thigh rub is generally so strong it could start a fire. Maybe I should put Vaseline on over the leggings :lol:

I could maybe just not wear underwear at all, I guess, but going commando would feel weeeeeeird.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 27 Apr 2018, 12:37

Bodyglide is the solution to all of life's problems. You will want it everywhere. All the places that have been mentioned, but also anywhere there's a seam that might rub against your skin. It's amazing what starts chafing after an hour or two.

Wool or synthetic clothing. I do synthetic socks (Saucony now has some socks that I like; I've also used a lot of Balega socks) because I'm cheap and merino wool isn't.

Footwear that I've put over 100 miles into is my goal to make sure they don't randomly start hurting my feet in a new, weird spot after 3 hours. Footwear that isn't broken-in is the enemy.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Apr 2018, 14:53

nicole

Post by nicole » 27 Apr 2018, 15:17

They seem like they would do the trick, though they'd be too tall for me in warm weather.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 12 Jul 2018, 13:47

Today's run was 80+ degrees, 70% humidity, and 70+ dew point (at 6:30 am, no less). I don't know if I've ever been sweatier. I definitely didn't get any wetter by jumping in the pool afterward.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 12 Jul 2018, 14:23

Andrew wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 13:47
Today's run was 80+ degrees, 70% humidity, and 70+ dew point (at 6:30 am, no less). I don't know if I've ever been sweatier. I definitely didn't get any wetter by jumping in the pool afterward.
Wait, I thought you were in the desert in AZ? Those numbers seem off.

For Arizona, I mean. Your humidity is too low for Houston.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 12 Jul 2018, 14:41

tr0g wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 14:23
Andrew wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 13:47
Wait, I thought you were in the desert in AZ? Those numbers seem off.

For Arizona, I mean. Your humidity is too low for Houston.
Monsoon season.