Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dhex

Re: Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Post by dhex » 13 Dec 2017, 12:41

Never taken a yoga class with music. Seems awful. And I like ambient music a lot.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 13 Dec 2017, 12:51

I wish it were ambient music. Some Eno or Frippertronics would be ideal. This is music that could get you or dbcooper to crack in under an hour.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 13 Dec 2017, 12:53

nicole wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 10:59
Sandy wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 10:50
nicole wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 08:25
I've only been to one yoga class EVER with music. It wasn't good.
I don't know what to say to this, Jadacole.
I'm pretty sure with-music is weirder. I mean I've done a lot of yoga, in a bunch of different places, and the only one that did have music specified it was a music class.
I envy your experience, but I can't because of what FFF says, and if you're not already in pretty great shape and a late 20s/early 30s woman, there's a great chance the classes led by people who have done eight whole weeks of training are going to hurt you.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Dec 2017, 18:09

Andrew wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 12:51
I wish it were ambient music. Some Eno or Frippertronics would be ideal. This is music that could get you or dbcooper to crack in under an hour.
/dhex/gry/prog_jokes.exe
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 14 Dec 2017, 11:42

dhex wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 18:09
Andrew wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 12:51
/dhex/gry/prog_jokes.exe
Just remix the sound of Dave Weigel listening to Triumvrat's A la Carte.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 29 Dec 2017, 10:05

Today was probably the last non-irritating gym workout for the next 4-8 weeks.

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Feb 2018, 14:25

Kettlebell people...(JasonL)

Say we want to use kettlebells but have no idea what we are doing and there's not a class-place close enough that we would actually go to. Like, we could easily go a few times, but no way would it ever be a habit. Is it the kind of thing you can learn from a couple classes and then do at home? Learn from online and do at home? Etc? Thanks
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Feb 2018, 14:38

I've never done a class. Most classes that do kettlebell stuff are goofy/dramatically wrong. (i.e. you want to see wrong, google Jillian Michaels and see how she does a kb swing, it doesn't get more wrong than that). I hate the crossfit versions of the moves. I'd just get video or book from Pavel Tsatsouline like Enter the Kettlebell and fixate on only these moves:

1) The kb swing - its your bread and butter
2) The clean and press / overhead press
3) the turkish get up
4) the kb snatch if you feel frisky

in that order. The whole thing here is you aren't looking for new and interesting ways to swing a bell, just do your swings.

1) Learn how to do a swing
2) Test yourself at a given weight doing 5 sets 10 reps. If those are easy, move to 5X20, then ultimately to 10X20
3) Get a program together of at least 3 days a week of doing 10X20 for time. Your target is say under 10 minutes.
4) to ramp up your gains, do 5 days with 2 of them being lower intensity like only 100 swings untimed or something and add some other stuff like presses or get ups to those days

The end.

EDIT: I'm told Pavel has redesigned intro kettlebell from Enter the Kettlebell into a new training program called Simple and Sinister. People I trust like that one better as intro, though I haven't seen it.

Further Edit: ladypeople should try to start no lighter than 20-25 lbs, and dude folk should start no lighter than 35 lbs. The deal is, if your forearm strength is sufficient to hold the bell horizontal in a slow raise, you will not learn correct form. It has to be heavy enough that it will dangle until you apply momentum via hip thrust.
Last edited by JasonL on 08 Feb 2018, 14:46, edited 2 times in total.

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Feb 2018, 14:44

Awesome. Thank you.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 28 Mar 2018, 23:11

I find it fascinating that the ratio of women:men drops as the yoga classes get more advanced (at least at the studio I go to). Completely the opposite of what I expected.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Mar 2018, 01:53

Andrew wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 23:11
I find it fascinating that the ratio of women:men drops as the yoga classes get more advanced (at least at the studio I go to). Completely the opposite of what I expected.
Really? I can't think of anything where that isn't the case.

EDIT
I take it back. It is (or at least was) the case in engineering. Few women went into the field. Those that did tended to do well at it. OTOH a fuckton of men washed out early.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT