Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Post by Ellie » 09 Jan 2012, 15:21

Since several Grylliaders have mentioned getting back to the gym as a New Year's resolution, and I know we have some Crossfittin' and sparrin' and marathon runnin' badasses here, let's talk exercise! What are you up to these days?

I just did the first day of the Couch to 5K program (eight rounds of jog 60 seconds/walk 90 seconds). I was worried I was going to need some kind of Couch to Couch to 5K to work my way up to being fit enough to try C25K, but I actually survived it in the end!
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Jennifer

Re: Massive brawn to go with our massive brains

Post by Jennifer » 09 Jan 2012, 15:42

Jeff and I often go for long walks (we're lucky enough to live in a neighborhood where you can do this safely AND see interesting old stuff all the while), so I got a pedometer as a stocking-stuffer last Christmas. Except either it doesn't work very well, or I don't walk properly, because it only calculates, at most, one "step" for every four or five steps I actually take, so we might walk for two solid hours, going over the river and through the woods and up and down a variety of hills, and when I check the pedometer it says that, at most, I dropped a letter in the mailbox around the corner. What a scandalous slanderous liar it is.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Jan 2012, 15:42

Biked to work today.

And now it's snowing.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 09 Jan 2012, 15:48

I'm doing my own circuit training/crossfit type of thing. Basically, it's this: I go to the gym and work a given part of my body (the divisions are chest/arms, back/shoulders, and legs) with the standard lifts. However, I don't take breaks between exercises, and switch between lifts and other exercises, never with more than a minute between them. So, it might go something like this: bench press, 3 sets of 10. Between sets, leg lifts. Incline press, 3 sets of 10, with crunches and planks in between. Decline press, with ab machine crunches in between. Preacher curls, with mountain climbers or flutter kicks in between. Tricep presses with 8 count body builders in between sets. Cable flies, with steam engines in between. The between exercises aren't set in stone. Generally, I find a mat or go to the class room and do whatever comes to mind. The idea is to mix anaerobic muscle building stuff with some aerobic benefit from keeping my heart rate consistently up. Also, this leads to shorter, but more intense workouts. Generally, I'm done in about 40 minutes. If I don't feel like I might puke, I figure I didn't get a good enough workout. I don't usually feel like I didn't get a good enough workout.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Jan 2012, 15:52

When I want brawn, I drink Brawndo. It's good for my muscles, with electrolytes and shit.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 09 Jan 2012, 15:59

I went mall walking, around two miles, today before lunch. It's cold and rainy today, but the mall is always level and dry and safe and filled with places to stop and sit, get something to drink and, of course, people watch.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Jan 2012, 15:59

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 09 Jan 2012, 16:03

Hugh Akston wrote:Image
Awesome.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 09 Jan 2012, 16:07

I have come to the conclusion that I will just never be into running anymore like I once was in those long ago days when I was lean and not missing patches of hair.

I did 4.5 miles on a bike in 13 minutes(10 minutes at roughly 100 rpms then 3 minute cooldown). Then just did whatever the hell shoulder/chest/arm workout my friends were doing.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 09 Jan 2012, 17:00

As soon as my diseased lung cooperates, I'll be back on the elliptical. I'm in the process of reading, so what I do past my morning 20-30 minutes on the elliptical trainer is subject to revision. But right now, I can't even manage that much.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Jan 2012, 18:29

I'm into interval rowing as part of my workout these days. I'll lift or climb stairs or something, then do 1500m rows for time.

I'm working on hip flexibility so I can do deadlifts and squat correctly so I hopefully can stop screwing up my back. As such, I do lighter weight deadlifts and squats with exaggerated range of motion to really get the form down, and I sit in a deep squat for 1 minute intervals in between or after.

53lb KB swings X 200 reps (trying to finish these in under 10 mins is a goal - currently about 13 mins) are a standard at home. Russian, up to the chin, and not straight overhead. Also, dumbell snatches.

Once or twice a week, I do something like: 20 pushups, 20 swings (two handed 45lb or one handed 35lb), 1 lap with pace (11 laps = 1 mile at the gym) for 10-12 sets. That is a quick and nasty workout.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Jan 2012, 21:15

After a few months of laziness, I'm slowly getting back at it. Spinning a few times a week (taught by a hardcore triathlete), biking when weather permits, and running a few times per week. I need to add weights once a week or so, and in a month or two, I'll resume swimming. My first event this year is a duathlon in March (3.65 mile run, 30 mile bike, 3.75 mile run) and I've got some work to do.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 Jan 2012, 01:22

I spent most of the year doing strength training--it's not something I'm naturally suited to, but I got my back squat to 200 (with ass touching heels) and my bench to 135. Now that I'm dancing seriously again I'm backing off, though, and just doing a light pushups + unweighted squats on days I don't dance to keep in shape-ish.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 10 Jan 2012, 02:01

Jadagul wrote:I spent most of the year doing strength training--it's not something I'm naturally suited to, but I got my back squat to 200 (with ass touching heels) and my bench to 135. Now that I'm dancing seriously again I'm backing off, though, and just doing a light pushups + unweighted squats on days I don't dance to keep in shape-ish.
What sort of heels? Stiletto?

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 10 Jan 2012, 11:11

Hugh Akston wrote:Image
Do you know that it took me about 12 hours to get this? I thought about it for a little while last night and could not come up with the joke, and then it struck me in the car this morning on my way to school. "Ahhh...Massive Prawn! Ha!"

I felt dumb.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

JD

Post by JD » 10 Jan 2012, 11:55

Nothing, shamefully. I haven't been exercising at all for a while, with the exception of longish walks and walking up to a fourth-floor apartment. Lugging a ton of photo gear up the stairs last night reminded me of that.

I was supposed to take an "intro to boxing" lesson soon too, but it seems like the gym is flaking out on that offer, which is too bad.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Jan 2012, 21:21

Ayn_Randian wrote:
Do you know that it took me about 12 hours to get this? I thought about it for a little while last night and could not come up with the joke, and then it struck me in the car this morning on my way to school. "Ahhh...Massive Prawn! Ha!"

I felt dumb.
Just to be clear, the Pepsi can didn't mean anything, did it? That's what I spent some time trying to figure out.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 15 Jan 2012, 17:48

So my dance coach recommended Insanity to me yesterday--apparently she did it and it worked really well for her endurance. (Basically, dance competitions work like this: you have five 90-second periods of having to perform at full power, with something like 20-second breaks in between. That's a round. Then you get a long break til the next round. So endurance is important).

After some googling/reading, it looks like the program is really just doing high-intensity interval stuff, but with DVDs. I don't need DVDs and don't have a problem with boredom in workouts--am I missing anything, or should I just go hit the elliptical for 20 minutes of interval stuff every day?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Jan 2012, 17:56

Jadagul wrote:(Basically, dance competitions work like this: you have five 90-second periods of having to perform at full power, with something like 20-second breaks in between. That's a round. Then you get a long break til the next round. So endurance is important).
When I was on the high school swim team, we did a similar exercise called "windsprints": Dive in. Swim 1 length at absolute peak intensity. Get out. Walk quickly back to the starting block. Repeat. (10 times IIRC.)

Nowadays, I am content with my brisk AM and PM 2 km walks to and from work plus my riding.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 15 Jan 2012, 18:20

Aresen wrote:
Jadagul wrote:(Basically, dance competitions work like this: you have five 90-second periods of having to perform at full power, with something like 20-second breaks in between. That's a round. Then you get a long break til the next round. So endurance is important).
When I was on the high school swim team, we did a similar exercise called "windsprints": Dive in. Swim 1 length at absolute peak intensity. Get out. Walk quickly back to the starting block. Repeat. (10 times IIRC.)

Nowadays, I am content with my brisk AM and PM 2 km walks to and from work plus my riding.
Yeah, basically.

The thing is, waht I described there isn't a drill. That's the actual competition. That's what I'm training for.

But yeah, basically the question is, does Insanity actually buy you any benefit over just doing twenty minutes of windsprints every day?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Jan 2012, 19:06

Jadagul wrote:But yeah, basically the question is, does Insanity actually buy you any benefit over just doing twenty minutes of windsprints every day?
I can't imagine the difference is anything other than the means of motivation. Some people do better with a DVD, is all. If it'll make you less likely to do the interval workout, run the other way.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 15 Jan 2012, 20:53

Insanity will hit more of your body than windsprints, and in different ways. But you could come up with something similar with a little imagination. Keep in mind that Insanity and P90x workouts are all about 45 minutes to an hour long. I have copies of Insanity but have never done the program. I did P90x for a while, and it is rough, but the DVD thing doesn't really do it for me. I prefer to put on my Black Flag/Rollins mix and come up with my own way of punishing my body for being soft and disgusting.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

mediageek

Post by mediageek » 16 Jan 2012, 02:39

I've pretty well fallen off of the workout bandwagon. I'm lucky if I make it to the gym twice a week now.

On top of that, I'm over-eating like a motherfucker. Two parts stress to one part having someone who cooks good meals.

Ugh.
Palin/Camacho 2012

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Jan 2012, 02:47

MY waist is back to 32". 30.5" here I come!
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 16 Jan 2012, 02:49

I have yet to find an approach to working out that isn't a brain-melting bore. I'm willing to give up a few extra years if I don't have to spend them in running shorts.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul