DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dbcooper

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by dbcooper » 29 Sep 2017, 20:26

Lockheed Martin has added to its Mars Base Camp concept a lander that could take astronauts to the surface of Mars for two-week stays.
Last edited by dbcooper on 29 Sep 2017, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 29 Sep 2017, 20:30

BFR is capable of transporting satellites to orbit, crew and cargo to the Space Station and completing missions to the Moon and Mars.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 03 Oct 2017, 06:48

Nobel prize in physics awarded to LIGO researchers for gravitational wave detection.

Nobel prize in physiology or medicine awarded for elucidating a molecular mechanism involved in circadian rhythms.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Oct 2017, 06:59

the innominate one wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 06:48
Nobel prize in physiology or medicine awarded for elucidating a molecular mechanism involved in circadian rhythms.
And they called the researchers to tell them they won at 3 in the morning.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Oct 2017, 11:08

Kolohe wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 06:59
03 Oct 2017, 06:48
And they called the researchers to tell them they won at 3 in the morning.
:lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 03 Oct 2017, 14:14

Could be a cool exercise for non majors or high school physics.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Oct 2017, 09:59

03 Oct 2017, 14:14
Could be a cool exercise for non majors or high school physics.

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

That looks like an interesting experiment. But is has fuck all to do with gravitational waves. And no, it's not a "model" or "analog" for them either. It's just more stupidifying science so stupid people can feel smart.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 04 Oct 2017, 11:26

It's an imperfect model for how gravitational waves were detected by LIGO. The exercise includes asking students about the limitations of the model and how it might be improved.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Oct 2017, 11:29

TIO, I think you should defer to Warren on all matters of STEM education. We all should.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Oct 2017, 11:45

*sigh*
sorry sorry
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 04 Oct 2017, 11:46

I forgot, sorry.

Warren, what is interesting about the exercise if it doesn't do what its authors purport? You should write to NASA and explain to them what is wrong with it.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 04 Oct 2017, 13:37

So the chemistry Nobel was awarded for using physics to improve research in biology.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Oct 2017, 22:17

Florida is in your periodic table, fucking with your quantum mechanics.

Compounds made with berkelium don't follow the normal rules for chemical reactions as predicted by quantum mechanics; their nuclei are so heavy, electrons orbiting those nuclei accelerate to a velocity close enough to the speed of light that the electrons increase in mass.

http://news.fsu.edu/news/science-techno ... mechanics/

via the Twitter feed of the gryll's third Dr. T.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Oct 2017, 22:37

Gene therapy for ALD seems to work. The gene is delivered using a modified HIV virion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/heal ... sease.html

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Oct 2017, 22:46

the innominate one wrote:Florida is in your periodic table, fucking with your quantum mechanics.

Compounds made with berkelium don't follow the normal rules for chemical reactions as predicted by quantum mechanics; their nuclei are so heavy, electrons orbiting those nuclei accelerate to a velocity close enough to the speed of light that the electrons increase in mass.

http://news.fsu.edu/news/science-techno ... mechanics/

via the Twitter feed of the gryll's third Dr. T.
They certainly DO obey the laws of quantum mechanics; you just have to use the Dirac Equation (which describes the relativistic behavior of electrons) instead of the Schrodinger Equation.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Oct 2017, 23:03

So, would you say they don't follow the normal rules for chemical reactions as predicted by quantum mechanics? That's what I wrote. I didn't write they don't follow the laws of quantum mechanics, as you implied I wrote.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Oct 2017, 02:44

Speaking of quantum mechanics, I just had a curious conversation with someone who is attending the "Quantum University" conference here in Honolulu where naturopathic and other, er, alternative medical systems are being studied and promoted. And if I understand this fellow correctly, he is on the fringe of that circle. I probably pushed harder than I should have and he excused himself because "I was too argumentative" when I asked whether smallpox vaccination was in fact a bad thing. I had already gotten him to admit that his theory was non-falsifiable, so it was pretty much piling-on anyway.

Psychically transmitted over the aether via highly sophisticated magic.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Oct 2017, 11:50

06 Oct 2017, 23:03
So, would you say they don't follow the normal rules for chemical reactions as predicted by quantum mechanics? That's what I wrote. I didn't write they don't follow the laws of quantum mechanics, as you implied I wrote.
Sorry, I misinterpreted you. The article you linked colored my interpretation of your words. The article is really bad. Like this part:
Florida State University researchers found that the theory of quantum mechanics does not adequately explain how the heaviest and rarest elements found at the end of the table function. Instead, another well-known scientific theory — Albert Einstein’s famous Theory of Relativity — helps govern the behavior of the last 21 elements of the Periodic Table.
1) Quantum mechanics does explain high-speed electrons. It's only non-relativistic quantum mechanics (an approximate theory that can be derived from relativistic quantum mechanics) that does not explain high-speed electrons.

2) The word "Instead" in the second sentence implies that they used relativity and NOT quantum mechanics to explain these elements. I'm 99.99999% certain that they used both theories, since Dirac's equation encompasses both relativistic effects and quantum effects.

But, yes, your statement is correct, since you had the word "normal" in front of "rules for chemical reactions as predicted by quantum mechanics."
--Jake

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 07 Oct 2017, 16:04

That's why I qualified it. Yeah, it's a press release, and not fully accurate, but the abstract was even less informative.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Oct 2017, 16:11

Compounds made with berkelium don't follow the normal rules for chemical reactions as predicted by quantum mechanics; their nuclei are so heavy,
[Your Mom Joke #1]
have to use the Dirac Equation
[Your Mom Joke #2]
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 08 Oct 2017, 02:37

I don't get joke #2. :oops:
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Oct 2017, 09:04

No need to be embarrassed. I don't get it either. I just didn't care enough to ask.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Oct 2017, 11:12

Something something about yo mamma's D sized rack.

See, this is why I didn't actually make the jokes.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Oct 2017, 13:59

I thought maybe it was because 'Dirac Equation' rhymed with 'ejaculation'
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 10 Oct 2017, 17:11

Half the missing mass of the universe has been found. (The rest is hiding with the Trump-Russia collusion evidence.)

https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... found/amp/