DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Jadagul

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by Jadagul » 07 Apr 2017, 13:40

JD wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:A little machine learning, and eyes can look anywhere.
Freaky. I like it. It occurs to me that probably the next (somewhat more difficult) step from there is making the entire head move, and eventually you work up to entire body movements.
There was also that tech demo I can't find any more of using a webcam/desktop computer rig to real-time take video of a celebrity, and have it make the facial expressions of an actor.

Edit: found it.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Apr 2017, 06:25

Jadagul wrote:
JD wrote:
Freaky. I like it. It occurs to me that probably the next (somewhat more difficult) step from there is making the entire head move, and eventually you work up to entire body movements.
There was also that tech demo I can't find any more of using a webcam/desktop computer rig to real-time take video of a celebrity, and have it make the facial expressions of an actor.

Edit: found it.
And here I thought Facerig stuff was impressive. (Well, it is neat that it does CGI and drawn characters, but not quite so impressive.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 09 Apr 2017, 09:45

JD wrote:
Huh; I just noticed that for a lot of the models, the whole head does move (albeit only a little). Missed that the first time. I suppose that the more the head has to turn, the harder the modeling is.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Aug 2017, 23:11

Individualized treatment for B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia approved:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/heal ... ancer.html

reprograms cells to attack cancer cells
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 30 Aug 2017, 23:20

the innominate one wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 23:11
Individualized treatment for B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia approved:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/heal ... ancer.html

reprograms cells to attack cancer cells
That's gonna be ungodly expensive ($475,000 per infusion, apparently), and a qa/manufacturing nightmare. Interesting stuff though!

I think Gilead paid $12B for Kite.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Aug 2017, 23:25

The company is quick to point out it's less expensive than bone marrow transplants, and they won't charge if there's no sign of remission in the first month. Still, cool stuff, though. And, yeah, expensive. How's that single payer thing going?

No idea about your last sentence, db.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 30 Aug 2017, 23:32

Oh the tech is very cool, and the scale up is very interesting too.

Kite are a CAR-T startup.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Sep 2017, 20:06

So Apple's big new iPhone development is Face ID. The iPhone X will have no home button and unlocks by looking at your face.
That's cool and all, and I'm sure facial recognition will bring about loads of great new capabilities. But are people really going to like this. I mean, if you have to take your sunglasses off and open your eyes and whatever, every time you want to use your phone. I wouldn't be surprised if certain kinds of makeup threw it off as well.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Sep 2017, 20:17

I think some models of Android already have been capable of that, but would unlock for a photograph of a person's face.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Sep 2017, 20:25

I don't quite see how you secure this against a photograph. I get that a low-quality photograph should not be enough to unlock the phone, so the random thief who gets the phone that accidentally fell out of your pocket on the bus is not going to easily break this.

But a sophisticated thief hanging out in a touristy area could easily take lots of pictures through a good camera without attracting suspicion. At some point in the day they get someone's phone, put it in front of a good screen displaying the photos at the right distance, and I'm not sure how they don't break in.

So, for the unsophisticated thief this seems as difficult as anything else. For the sophisticated thief this seems easier.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Sep 2017, 20:27

The march of "features that noone ever asked for or wanted, but the devs thought were cool anyway" continues.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Sep 2017, 20:32

Forget thieves. Private investigators could have a field day with this. Even if the phone is really sophisticated about getting the image from a particular angle or whatever, a PI can surely get several pictures at different angles and use some software to reconstruct a picture from whatever angle and distance the phone wants.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 12 Sep 2017, 20:43

Presumably it also has a code, and you can set it to only open with the code the way you can with the current fingerprint ones. You can even do it on an ad-hoc basis without unlocking the phone.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Sep 2017, 20:52

thoreau wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 20:32
Forget thieves. Private investigators could have a field day with this. Even if the phone is really sophisticated about getting the image from a particular angle or whatever, a PI can surely get several pictures at different angles and use some software to reconstruct a picture from whatever angle and distance the phone wants.
Not to mention cops can access such phones at will and easily erase incriminating audio, photos and videos stored locally.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Sep 2017, 10:49

I might be wrong, but I thought I heard a reporter say something like "It uses 24 infrared data points". So if it's using infrared, a photo won't work. The number of things that will keep it from working really seems to be the FAIL of this idea to my mind.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Sep 2017, 10:56

If IR is used, maybe a hard copy photo won't work, but I wouldn't be surprised if a photo on another phone screen would do the trick.

The cops won't need any photo tricks. They'll just detain you, confiscate your phone, and hold it up to your face.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Sep 2017, 11:22

Will it still recognize you with swelling and blackened eyes?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Sep 2017, 11:23

I don't like the commencement of large scale meta data integrated face data bases.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Sep 2017, 11:58

JasonL wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 11:22
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (399.51 KiB) Viewed 163 times

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Sep 2017, 12:22

12 Sep 2017, 20:52
thoreau wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 20:32
Not to mention cops can access such phones at will and easily erase incriminating audio, photos and videos stored locally.
That would be my concern. You won't be able to withhold your passcode from the police if they have you in custody.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Sep 2017, 12:28

Same problem exists with fingerprint unlock.

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Sep 2017, 12:38

Yes.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Sep 2017, 12:39

13 Sep 2017, 10:56
If IR is used, maybe a hard copy photo won't work, but I wouldn't be surprised if a photo on another phone screen would do the trick.
Huh?
JasonL wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 11:22
Exactly. Or with bandage/eye patch.
In the demo I saw, the phone wouldn't unlock until the guy opened his eyes.

But I think it's probably the case that the phone will be unlockable via code just as the current iphone can be unlocked with fingerprint or code. In which case, face recognition is just that much more convenient.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Sep 2017, 12:50

Warren wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 12:39
Huh?
Huh?

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Sep 2017, 13:02

13 Sep 2017, 12:50
Warren wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 12:39
Huh?
Huh?
How is a photo on another phone going to mimic the thermal pattern of your face?