DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 24568
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by thoreau » 10 Oct 2017, 18:43

The title is misleading. One of the two components of missing mass (the baryonic component, made of ordinary matter) has been found. That's hardly half the matter, if we measure the amount of matter in terms of mass. The dark matter (non-baryonic) has 5x as much mass and its nature remains a mystery.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6327
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by Jadagul » 10 Oct 2017, 18:51

thoreau wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 18:43
The title is misleading. One of the two components of missing mass (the baryonic component, made of ordinary matter) has been found. That's hardly half the matter, if we measure the amount of matter in terms of mass. The dark matter (non-baryonic) has 5x as much mass and its nature remains a mystery.

I think it's just confusingly worded. We've found the "roughly half of the normal matter" that was "unaccounted for by previous observations".

So we previously knew there was missing baryonic matter, and the missing amount of baryonic matter was about half of the total amount of baryonic matter. Now we've found that. This is unrelated to the dark matter, which also exists somewhere.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 24568
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by thoreau » 10 Oct 2017, 18:54

Jadagul wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 18:51
thoreau wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 18:43
The title is misleading. One of the two components of missing mass (the baryonic component, made of ordinary matter) has been found. That's hardly half the matter, if we measure the amount of matter in terms of mass. The dark matter (non-baryonic) has 5x as much mass and its nature remains a mystery.

I think it's just confusingly worded. We've found the "roughly half of the normal matter" that was "unaccounted for by previous observations".

So we previously knew there was missing baryonic matter, and the missing amount of baryonic matter was about half of the total amount of baryonic matter. Now we've found that. This is unrelated to the dark matter, which also exists somewhere.
Yes, but having canceled a New Scientist subscription I'm pretty sure the headline was confusingly worded on purpose, not by accident. They wanted readers to think that a breakthrough occurred in dark matter research.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12007
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by the innominate one » 10 Oct 2017, 18:59

Thank you for the correction. The article doesn't do anything to clarify those details.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12007
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by the innominate one » 10 Oct 2017, 19:01

Still pretty cool though.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 6327
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by Jadagul » 10 Oct 2017, 19:22

thoreau wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 18:54
Jadagul wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 18:51
thoreau wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 18:43
The title is misleading. One of the two components of missing mass (the baryonic component, made of ordinary matter) has been found. That's hardly half the matter, if we measure the amount of matter in terms of mass. The dark matter (non-baryonic) has 5x as much mass and its nature remains a mystery.

I think it's just confusingly worded. We've found the "roughly half of the normal matter" that was "unaccounted for by previous observations".

So we previously knew there was missing baryonic matter, and the missing amount of baryonic matter was about half of the total amount of baryonic matter. Now we've found that. This is unrelated to the dark matter, which also exists somewhere.
Yes, but having canceled a New Scientist subscription I'm pretty sure the headline was confusingly worded on purpose, not by accident. They wanted readers to think that a breakthrough occurred in dark matter research.
Oh oops, I hadn't even read the headline, just the lead. Yeah, you're probably right that they did that on purpose.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 24568
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by thoreau » 10 Oct 2017, 19:30

OK, now I'm more willing to believe it.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10/ ... sing-atoms

New Scientist is a bit too prone to hype. Science is usually better (at least somewhat).
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 22016
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by Warren » 10 Oct 2017, 19:35

Thanks for posting TIO. Good to know.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12007
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by the innominate one » 10 Oct 2017, 20:16

thoreau wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 19:30
OK, now I'm more willing to believe it.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10/ ... sing-atoms

New Scientist is a bit too prone to hype. Science is usually better (at least somewhat).
Just don't trust Science on junk DNA.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12007
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by the innominate one » 10 Oct 2017, 21:22

thoreau wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 19:30
OK, now I'm more willing to believe it.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10/ ... sing-atoms

New Scientist is a bit too prone to hype. Science is usually better (at least somewhat).
The results suggest that matter in the cosmic web is about six times more dense than the universal average, enough to comprise about 30% of the missing mass.
If it turns out that the filaments in the cosmic web are fungal filaments, I'm going to be very annoyed, even moreso than usual.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 22016
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by Warren » 10 Oct 2017, 21:48

the innominate one wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 21:22
thoreau wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 19:30
OK, now I'm more willing to believe it.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10/ ... sing-atoms

New Scientist is a bit too prone to hype. Science is usually better (at least somewhat).
The results suggest that matter in the cosmic web is about six times more dense than the universal average, enough to comprise about 30% of the missing mass.
If it turns out that the filaments in the cosmic web are fungal filaments, I'm going to be very annoyed, even moreso than usual.
Praying for the day the Sweet Mushroom Of Death comes to take us all.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 605
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by dead_elvis » 11 Oct 2017, 14:39

dbcooper wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 20:26
Image

Lockheed Martin has added to its Mars Base Camp concept a lander that could take astronauts to the surface of Mars for two-week stays.
I love that passenger spacecraft design has looped back to space age pop-sci-fi with rockets landing on their tail. Back in the day I always thought that was the most ridiculously unrealistic depiction of future space travel, but here we are. Thanks Mr. Musk for making the ridiculous seem possible.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 9929
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by Ellie » 11 Oct 2017, 21:29

Warren wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 21:48
Praying for the day the Sweet Mushroom Of Death comes to take us all.
As they say, all fungi are edible, but some are only edible once.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12007
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by the innominate one » 11 Oct 2017, 22:27

That's funny. I don't think I've ever heard that, but I'm going to try to remember to use it.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 14674
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Oct 2017, 13:08

That reminds me of a story of deep stupidity.

There was a guy on a trip my family took to Dominica back in aught-5. It was a natural-history-heavy trip, led by a botanist (and local/syndicated public television nature show personality) and there were some grad students along for the ride. Anyway, this guy had this insane habit of tasting a small portion of various poisonous things. So when we came upon a manchineel tree, he took out his knife and cut off a small part of one of its fruit and ate it.
The fruit is possibly fatal if eaten; however, "fatalities from ingestion are not reported in the modern literature"[9] and "ingestion may produce severe gastroenteritis with bleeding, shock, bacterial superinfection, and the potential for airway compromise due to edema. Patients with a history of ingestion and either oropharyngeal burns or gastrointestinal symptoms should be evaluated for admission in hospital. Care is supportive."[10]

When ingested, the fruit is reportedly "pleasantly sweet" at first, with a subsequent "strange peppery feeling ..., gradually progress[ing] to a burning, tearing sensation and tightness of the throat". Symptoms continue to worsen until the patient can "barely swallow solid food because of the excruciating pain and the feeling of a huge obstructing pharyngeal lump".[2]
Apparently he had to be flown back to the US on a medical flight because the poison was tearing up his digestive tract and he was bleeding seriously out of his butthole. I don't recall that personally, but was told the story later. It was a big enough group that I probably didn't notice he was gone, and I can be oblivious to things. Still, one hopes he learned his lesson, because otherwise jesus christ that guy's gonna Darwin himself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchineel

ETA: To get even more of an idea of how nutso this tree is and how staggeringly stupid this guy was:
All parts of the tree contain strong toxins, some unidentified.[4] Its milky white sap contains phorbol and other skin irritants, producing strong allergic dermatitis.[5] Standing beneath the tree during rain will cause blistering of the skin from mere contact with this liquid (even a small drop of rain with the milky substance in it will cause the skin to blister). The sap has also been known to damage the paint on cars.[6] Burning the tree may cause ocular injuries if the smoke reaches the eyes.[7] Contact with its milky sap (latex) produces bullous dermatitis, acute keratoconjunctivitis and possibly large corneal epithelial defects.[8]
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9682
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by JD » 12 Oct 2017, 14:38

That reminds me of a story told by the "nature guy" at the summer camp I went to as a kid. He was leading us on a hike through the woods, pointing out various things, and when we ran across doll's eyes, he told us that one year he'd been leading a group, and he stopped to talk about something, and then he heard one kid in the back of the group go, "Whut are these?" He looked over, and the kid was eating the doll's eyes. The kid did not die, according to the story, but he did have to be rushed to the hospital (suffering from a case of acute stupidity, if you ask me).

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12007
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by the innominate one » 12 Oct 2017, 14:49

Natural selection should be allowed to take its natural course.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Sandy
Posts: 9515
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:03
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by Sandy » 12 Oct 2017, 16:23

lunchstealer wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 13:08
Apparently he had to be flown back to the US on a medical flight because the poison was tearing up his digestive tract and he was bleeding seriously out of his butthole. I don't recall that personally, but was told the story later. It was a big enough group that I probably didn't notice he was gone, and I can be oblivious to things. Still, one hopes he learned his lesson, because otherwise jesus christ that guy's gonna Darwin himself.
That's because it wasn't our trip but a different trip it happened on. Nobody on ours was technically a grad student at the time.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 14674
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Oct 2017, 20:35

Sandy wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 16:23
lunchstealer wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 13:08
Apparently he had to be flown back to the US on a medical flight because the poison was tearing up his digestive tract and he was bleeding seriously out of his butthole. I don't recall that personally, but was told the story later. It was a big enough group that I probably didn't notice he was gone, and I can be oblivious to things. Still, one hopes he learned his lesson, because otherwise jesus christ that guy's gonna Darwin himself.
That's because it wasn't our trip but a different trip it happened on. Nobody on ours was technically a grad student at the time.
Ah. Well I barely remembered Nick being there, so I thought there was a chance I'd just missed out on the other thing, too.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 8990
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 12 Oct 2017, 21:06

Ligo makes gross sardines in tomato sauce.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12007
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by the innominate one » 16 Oct 2017, 10:48

LIGO's detection of neutron stars colliding allowed the event to be captured in a photograph for the first time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/16/scie ... ision.html
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 24568
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by thoreau » 16 Oct 2017, 11:02

Neutron star collisions can make for interesting scientific musings, but the teen vampire drama gets tedious.

"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

User avatar
JD
Posts: 9682
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by JD » 16 Oct 2017, 14:49

In the late Silurian and Devonian eras, before there were trees on earth, there were these big things called Prototaxites. People used to think they were trees*; they were certainly tree-like, with "trunks" up to 1 meter in diameter and up to 8 meters high, that seem to have had growth rings and possibly some kind of root system. It was by far the largest living thing on earth at the time. But recent studies suggest that it was not a tree, but actually a giant fungus or lichen, eventually out-competed by vascular plants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototaxites

* In fact, the name "Prototaxites" means, roughly, "first yew".

User avatar
the innominate one
Posts: 12007
Joined: 17 May 2011, 16:17
Location: hypertime continuum

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by the innominate one » 16 Oct 2017, 15:38

Interesting. Not familiar with them.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 11118
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: DB's absolutely amazing sci/tech thread

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Oct 2017, 17:42

That Prototaxites article is actually one of the better Wikipedia articles I've read, recently.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests