I may want to see that?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: I may want to see that?

Post by JD »

Hugh Akston wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 11:27
"How faithful is an adaptation to the source material?" is not a serious critical inquiry in that it almost never has any bearing on the quality of the work.
True, but if you see something labeled "Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol" and what you get is distinctly not what Dickens wrote, it may be a good movie but it is not Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

And almost nobody watching a movie will care whether a complaint of theirs is "a serious critical inquiry".
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

JD

Post by JD »

JD wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 09:40
Related to the copyright thread, it occurred to me that I'd always wanted to film Ray Bradbury's short story Chrysalis, and it's an early one so maybe copyright won't last much longer. I went to look up when it was published and the first thing that I discovered is that somebody already filmed it.
I decided to stay positive and watch it. It wasn't terrible, but it sure wasn't great either. It feels like a low-budget direct-to-video SF movie (which is basically what it is). The special effects look like they were thrown together in about ten minutes. Most of the acting is community-theater-level overacting, although one guy who underacts actually comes across as much more natural because of it. Most of the directing is, to borrow the phrase, how stupid people think smart people direct, with a couple exceptions. A lot of lines are borrowed directly from the short story, which is fine, and occasionally they're re-ordered or modified slightly, which is usually fine. One clanger is that the event that kicks off the rest of the plot is changed between the short story and the movie, which I wouldn't care about quite so much except that it removes about 99% of another character's motivation for behaving the way he does.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 09:07
I haven't seen much about Deputy on Fox, but I assume it will be by-the-numbers cop-sucking fare. On the other hand, it has Bex Taylor-Klaus and I adore them ...
Also, trans actress / RuPaul's Drag Race runner-up Peppermint is in the first episode ...

Dang, they're going to get me to watch it!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex