I may want to see that?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: I may want to see that?

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Jul 2017, 14:21

Well it was not even YA. It was marketed as a straight children's book. It'ore the sci-fi equivalent of The Chronicles of Narnia than even The Hunger Games. Including being Christian allegory.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 Jul 2017, 14:33

lunchstealer wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 14:21
Well it was not even YA. It was marketed as a straight children's book. It'ore the sci-fi equivalent of The Chronicles of Narnia than even The Hunger Games. Including being Christian allegory.
Of course, "Young Adult" is a recent marketing invention. All of those would have been called juveniles back in the day, as were a number of Heinlein novels many of us read as actual young adults without noticing they'd have been entirely appropriate for serialization in Boy's Life.

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Jul 2017, 15:36

I couldn't make it through A Wrinkle in Time. I probably tried 3 or 4 times. Just unintelligible. I couldn't get it at all.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Jul 2017, 15:45

Highway wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 15:36
I couldn't make it through A Wrinkle in Time. I probably tried 3 or 4 times. Just unintelligible. I couldn't get it at all.
Same here -- I tried to read it as a kid and quickly got confused, like there were pages missing or something.

I read it through in high school or thereabouts. It was fine. I missed the window to be captivated, I think.

Edited to confess: I was jealous of Meg's math abilities and took an instant dislike to her because of it.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 22 Jul 2017, 17:31

dead_elvis wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 10:49
Maybe usually, but it does happen often enough that I wouldn't give up hope. Firefly, South Park, Simpsons wasn't great but wasn't bad, Star Trek was uneven but some were good, what others am I missing?
Batman: the Movie (1966) was pretty much perfect.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Jul 2017, 18:15

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 12:42
I don't think it would be fair to call the recent Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy a theatrical version of the famous Alec Guinness miniseries, but both were excellent.

The Fugitive was a pretty good movie.

Several Muppet movies were pretty good.

Downy Jr.'s The Singing Detective was pretty good, too.
For both South Park and the Muppets, it helped that the creative team is creative in other ways than just the property they were working with.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Jul 2017, 18:26

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 14:33
lunchstealer wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 14:21
Of course, "Young Adult" is a recent marketing invention. All of those would have been called juveniles back in the day, as were a number of Heinlein novels many of us read as actual young adults without noticing they'd have been entirely appropriate for serialization in Boy's Life.
YA was a thing in my library by the time I was in that bracket, which is more recent than the original but before the last book in the series came out. L'Engle also wrote a straight, no magic/science/miracles YA book series called "Meet the Austins" that was aimed more at the tween/teen audience.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Jul 2017, 18:49

Apparently the Game of Thrones producers will be doing an alt-history series on HBO, imagining that the Confederacy won the Civil War and slavery exists there to this day. I learned about this via various indignant editorials which take it for granted that this series will have the attitude "Yeah, if the Confederates won and slavery were still the rule, that would be awesome!" even though I'd be willing to wager pretty much my entire life's savings that this series is actually going to show that the year-2017 Confederate States of America is a human-rights horror: horrible for the slaves, of course, but also pretty sucky for white Confederates who aren't rich enough to own any.

Did these people think The Man in the High Castle took the POV that a Nazi victory would've been a good thing? Do these people know anything about the alt-history genre at all?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 22 Jul 2017, 18:53

They only know that they like to gripe from a position of righteousness.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 22 Jul 2017, 19:08

They probably think The Handmaid's Tale was meant to pander to misogynistic MRA/Roosh types.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Jul 2017, 19:12

They're fully aware of the faptastic nature of the handmaid's tale. I mean probably not actually aware but all that one handed tweeting should clue them in.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 22 Jul 2017, 19:34

Ellie wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 15:45
Highway wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 15:36
Same here -- I tried to read it as a kid and quickly got confused, like there were pages missing or something.
Okay, in a way I'm relieved to hear this because it means I'm not crazy. I think one reason I liked it was that it felt like it stretched my brain, like it was just a little on the difficult side. Reading that at 9 or 10 felt the same as reading Ulysses at 25. The right book at the right time.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Jul 2017, 21:57

Ellie wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 12:37
Were the Addams Family movies a reboot? I think it's easier to do it that way (although there are many, many failures in that category as well) than to take the same cast with their rhythm and chemistry, and move them to the big screen.
Pretty much. The five purist fans of Charles Addams might say, "No, it's a different adaptation of his cartoons!", but that would be wrong. They have more of the darkness of his one-panel comic work, but they use recognizable character traits from the original show that never showed up in Addam's work, where the "family" were just some spooky and cheerfully malevolent recurring characters with no distinct characterization. The core idea of them being an essentially happy, friendly, and well-meaning bunch despite their dangerous weirdness is strictly from the show.

Though, in that case, it really helps that the show was decades off the air at that point. If the 1966 Batman movie had been different from the show, that wouldn't have worked at all and would have just confused viewers. As it was, it was perfect in that sense. You never hear about people who liked that show and didn't like the movie.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Jul 2017, 22:05

Jennifer wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 18:49
Did these people think The Man in the High Castle took the POV that a Nazi victory would've been a good thing? Do these people know anything about the alt-history genre at all?
I've heard more reasonable complaints from people who take the approach, "Hey, this is a touchy time, and the subject matter hits major fault lines in our society. There's so much possible to do badly in the premise, and I have no faith that the people behind GOT will do a sensitive, thoughtful take on the subject."
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 22 Jul 2017, 22:16

I think the complaints seem to focus on the "near run thing" and "honor" of the Lost Cause, when it wasn't and all of the Confederate officers should have been shot.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Jul 2017, 00:10

Eric the .5b wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 22:05
Jennifer wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 18:49
I've heard more reasonable complaints from people who take the approach, "Hey, this is a touchy time, and the subject matter hits major fault lines in our society. There's so much possible to do badly in the premise, and I have no faith that the people behind GOT will do a sensitive, thoughtful take on the subject."
I've also seen some of thoe more-reasonable concerns -- but also "this series'll be a white nationalist's wet dream" predictions.

The GOT showrunners aren't the only ones behind this, either; there's also a black husband-and-wife team whose names I forget (one of them is behind Empire), so I"m fairly confident they are not going to be producing Gone with the Wind 2.0.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 23 Jul 2017, 00:48

Funny I assumed the show would be one non-stop Antebellum takedown. Basically a "The South is a backwards racist hellhole now but it would be even more horrible if they had won!" I assumed they would just make the alt-South a bunch of Nazis who look suspiciously similar to certain real world people.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 23 Jul 2017, 08:54

Speaking of movies jumping to TV, due to a conversation had last night about Shaun Cassidy, I was surprised to discover that he starred in a short lived TV series based on Breaking Away (as a prequel to the movie). Aired on ABC in 80-81. Only eight episodes were made, only seven were broadcast before getting pulled. Did anyone happen to catch this when it aired?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 23 Jul 2017, 09:00

Eric the .5b wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 22:05
I've heard more reasonable complaints from people who take the approach... ...I have no faith that the people behind GOT will do a sensitive, thoughtful take on the subject."
The only thing the involvement of GOT people indicates to me is that they might not shy away from explicitly showing the cruelties of how slaves are treated, and that there will probably be plenty of rape.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Jul 2017, 23:10

I mean Clooney has proven himself to be a competent if pale imitation of Soderbergh, so he might just be the guy to bring a mediocre Coen Bros movie into the world.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 28 Jul 2017, 00:36

I'm having weird double posting issues, sorry, feel free to delete.
Last edited by dead_elvis on 28 Jul 2017, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 28 Jul 2017, 00:37

Hugh Akston wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 23:10

I mean Clooney has proven himself to be a competent if pale imitation of Soderbergh, so he might just be the guy to bring a mediocre Coen Bros movie into the world.
Looks ok, as long as nobody is claiming to have something insightful to say about what darkness lies behind suburbia's facade, 'cause I'm pretty sure that's already well covered ground.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Jul 2017, 04:49

dead_elvis wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 00:37
Hugh Akston wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 23:10
Looks ok, as long as nobody is claiming to have something insightful to say about what darkness lies behind suburbia's facade, 'cause I'm pretty sure that's already well covered ground.
Agreed. That is one of the most cliched themes in cinema. Has there ever been a "suburbia is secretly a place of darkness and repression" movie that was any good?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 28 Jul 2017, 04:54

Well Blue Velvet was pretty fucking good. Whereas American Beauty was a war crime.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Jul 2017, 07:06

"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db