I may want to see that?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: I may want to see that?

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jan 2018, 16:00

I liked Adaptation, if for nothing other than Chris Cooper's character.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jan 2018, 16:03

Was it an adaptation?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 23 Jan 2018, 16:53

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 15:19
If you don't like adaptations:

1. Die alone.
2. Don't ever watch adaptations.
Working on it. And done.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 23 Jan 2018, 17:46

lunchstealer wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 16:00
Has Chris Cooper ever been unwatchable in anything? Genuine question.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jan 2018, 17:48

JasonL wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 15:14
thoreau wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 14:04
JasonL wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:It doesn't matter how faithful or not the film adaptation is, my wife will still hate it because she simply can't accept any variance at all. The only entirely satisfactory film version would just run a scroll of the entire text of the novel start to finish.
I just learned my wife is like this with IT.
Yeah, there's a scene in that novel that no theater should ever show, even in pure text form.
I'm not sure it was the sewer thing per se, she kept saying they made stupid changes for no reason argh. I was at a bar and got like 20 texts of argh that night. I got the "i don't do horror movies" pass on watching it.
Having Beverly be captured after overcoming her fear was:
1) A major change
2) A dumb change
3) A damsel-in-distress move
4) (MOST IMPORTANTLY) A massive departure from the entire premise of what the monster is all about, both in the book and the movie.
5) (almost as important) A massive departure from the way they set up Beverly to be The Strong, Confident Female Who Can Lead The Team. Say what you will about that premise, but you can't set it up for 2/3 of the movie and then wipe it away.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jan 2018, 18:10

Sandy wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 17:46
lunchstealer wrote:
He was annoying in something, but I can't remember what. Possibly because it was a left/Democrat morality play, but I can't recall which one. Not sure there, though.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 Jan 2018, 20:43

lunchstealer wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 18:10
Sandy wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 17:46
lunchstealer wrote:
He was annoying in something, but I can't remember what. Possibly because it was a left/Democrat morality play, but I can't recall which one. Not sure there, though.
July Johnson in Lonesome Dove. Admittedly, it was probably more the character than him, personally, that I found annoying, but even at his best Cooper is one of those actors who could probably have been swapped out with any number of other second tier movie stars in most of his roles and it wouldn't really make much of a difference.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Jan 2018, 22:13

A Futile and Stupid Gesture
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Jan 2018, 22:17

It's available on Netflix now.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jan 2018, 00:30

Ellie wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 22:13
Doug Kenney Slipped Here.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Jan 2018, 00:52

Warren wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 00:30
Ellie wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 22:13
Doug Kenney Slipped Here.
I enjoyed it, though there's a documentary(?) about the National Lampoon that covers much the same territory. And it spurred me to watch a few first season SNLs and ohmygawd they're mostly crap!

I was the exact target audience for National Lampoon in its first several years. It's another coulda, shoulda things with me. P.J. O'Rourke is to NL what Bill Murray is to SNL and he's just a year or two older than I am; I would at least have had a shot at freelancing for them if I'd had the gumption.

Oh well. Anyway, yeah, it's worth watching.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Feb 2018, 23:30

I am looking forward to seeing The Death of Stalin when it releases in North America next month. However, there is so much hype surrounding it that I am preparing myself to be disappointed.

---
On a side note, I am amused by the "Make Russia Great Again" types on the internet who are claiming a) that the movie is all lies, b) that Stalin saved Russia, c) that Stalin hardly killed anybody*, and d) reports of Stalin's crimes are Western Fabrications.

They are remarkably similar to Trumpers.

*Interestingly, this one is usually accompanied by arguments that he needed to be harsh.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Feb 2018, 23:33

Did you just compare Donald Trump to Joseph Stalin?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Feb 2018, 23:46

Warren wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 23:33
Did you just compare Donald Trump to Joseph Stalin?
Honestly, Warren, I didn't think of that implication until you pointed it out. That was not my intention.

I was comparing a certain mindset of unquestioning reverence for a leader/nation that is intolerant of doubt or question.

Jingoism is somewhat universal.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Feb 2018, 12:15

Unlike Trump, Stalin actually stood up to the Nazis.

Eventually.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 15 Feb 2018, 12:51

thoreau wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 12:15
Unlike Trump, Stalin actually stood up to the Nazis.

Eventually.
Not only that, he outdid them.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Feb 2018, 13:03

Aresen wrote:
14 Feb 2018, 23:30
On a side note, I am amused by the "Make Russia Great Again" types on the internet who are claiming a) that the movie is all lies, b) that Stalin saved Russia, c) that Stalin hardly killed anybody*, and d) reports of Stalin's crimes are Western Fabrications.
b) is true though. At that point it may be that only Stalin could have saved Russia. It is also true that had he not liquidated the senior officers in 1937, the Soviet Union might have "liberated" Europe, permanently, all the way to Lisbon by 1943.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Feb 2018, 16:31

I would look askance at the nature of the thing Russia became after being "saved". In the sense that it was a sovereign political entity, I guess. In the sense that the things of value were preserved? Hardly. It became a horror show.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Feb 2018, 16:35

JasonL wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 16:31
I would look askance at the nature of the thing Russia became after being "saved". In the sense that it was a sovereign political entity, I guess. In the sense that the things of value were preserved? Hardly. It became a horror show.
Became a horror show? The worst time under Stalin was before the war and during. And living under totalitarianism beats getting liquidated by other totalitarians.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Feb 2018, 16:44

FFS FFF, the best day under stalin is really really bad dude.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Feb 2018, 16:49

JasonL wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 16:44
FFS FFF, the best day under stalin is really really bad dude.
Look, the Soviet Union did two impressive things: universal literacy and crushing the Nazis. The second likely would not have happened had Stalin been removed during the initial phase of the war.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Feb 2018, 16:58

HE'S JUST AS BAD AS THE GUY HE BEAT.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Feb 2018, 17:00

JasonL wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 16:58
Yeah, no. As bad as Stalin was, he wasn't planning on slowly starving off the entire population of Eastern Europe over several decades.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Feb 2018, 17:03

My understanding is that he was slightly less shitty to his people after the war. Maybe because he was getting old and losing his touch, maybe because his people had acquired all sorts of habits during the war, maybe because he was busy oppressing the newly-acquired territories, or maybe because they had the resources of their newly-acquired territories and life was looking up a bit. It's possible to recognize these distinctions and say that the Russians were better off for winning that war than they would have been losing that war.

The people of Eastern Europe, of course, would have been better off under Western occupation. That's a given. But one can recognize that the people of Russia got a better outcome winning than they would have gotten losing, even while recognizing that Stalin as a person was every bit as evil as Hitler was as a person.
--Shem

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 15 Feb 2018, 17:03

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 17:00
JasonL wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 16:58
Yeah, no. As bad as Stalin was, he wasn't planning on slowly starving off the entire population of Eastern Europe over several decades.
He had already starved out the population of much of Ukraine over just a couple of years, so...yay for being quick?