I may want to see that?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: I may want to see that?

Post by JD »

Hugh Akston wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 11:27
"How faithful is an adaptation to the source material?" is not a serious critical inquiry in that it almost never has any bearing on the quality of the work.
True, but if you see something labeled "Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol" and what you get is distinctly not what Dickens wrote, it may be a good movie but it is not Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

And almost nobody watching a movie will care whether a complaint of theirs is "a serious critical inquiry".
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

JD

Post by JD »

JD wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 09:40
Related to the copyright thread, it occurred to me that I'd always wanted to film Ray Bradbury's short story Chrysalis, and it's an early one so maybe copyright won't last much longer. I went to look up when it was published and the first thing that I discovered is that somebody already filmed it.
I decided to stay positive and watch it. It wasn't terrible, but it sure wasn't great either. It feels like a low-budget direct-to-video SF movie (which is basically what it is). The special effects look like they were thrown together in about ten minutes. Most of the acting is community-theater-level overacting, although one guy who underacts actually comes across as much more natural because of it. Most of the directing is, to borrow the phrase, how stupid people think smart people direct, with a couple exceptions. A lot of lines are borrowed directly from the short story, which is fine, and occasionally they're re-ordered or modified slightly, which is usually fine. One clanger is that the event that kicks off the rest of the plot is changed between the short story and the movie, which I wouldn't care about quite so much except that it removes about 99% of another character's motivation for behaving the way he does.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 09:07
I haven't seen much about Deputy on Fox, but I assume it will be by-the-numbers cop-sucking fare. On the other hand, it has Bex Taylor-Klaus and I adore them ...
Also, trans actress / RuPaul's Drag Race runner-up Peppermint is in the first episode ...

Dang, they're going to get me to watch it!
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Hugh Akston wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:31
for dbcooper: https://youtu.be/YUSSUpTGhZw
Cheers. :)
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JD

Post by JD »

Oh, Amazon, you know me so well.
Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 2.23.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 2.23.24 PM.png (351.61 KiB) Viewed 1721 times

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

JD wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 14:59

That looks rather familiar actually....

JD

Post by JD »

Painboy wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 16:49
JD wrote:

I see that Andrew reviewed both Deathstalker and The Warrior and the Sorceress here: viewtopic.php?p=443202#p443202

I watched about 30 minutes of Deathstalker: holy crap is it bad, although it's actually a weird mix of fairly competent (some of the action, props, costuming, and special effects) and howlingly incompetent (writing, editing, acting) which just makes it funnier. And yeah, it's super rapey and exploitative.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Painboy wrote:
JD wrote:

No kidding. The best one is obviously Deathstalker, but the villain in Sorceress sounds like he was dubbed by Norm MacDonald doing his Death voice from Family Guy, which makes for lots of good joke material.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

JD wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 16:57
Painboy wrote:
JD wrote:

I see that Andrew reviewed both Deathstalker and The Warrior and the Sorceress here: viewtopic.php?p=443202#p443202

I watched about 30 minutes of Deathstalker: holy crap is it bad, although it's actually a weird mix of fairly competent (some of the action, props, costuming, and special effects) and howlingly incompetent (writing, editing, acting) which just makes it funnier. And yeah, it's super rapey and exploitative.
I have seen so many of those bad movies that they are starting to run together. Besides the ones I mentioned in that post, there has been Sorceress, The Lost Empire (recommended--incredibly trashy one produced by Corman), Phoenix the Warrior (also called She-Wolves of the Wasteland), Gold of the Amazon Women, etc.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

The trailer for Tales from the Loop.

This century is getting weird for media. A Swedish artist* paints some neat retro-future-in-the-80s imagery with a vague implied setting (and some completely unexplained stuff). Then, it becomes a book and an RPG. A few years after that, there's a frickin' TV show on Amazon Prime? Well, OK.

I will say that the show looks a little gentler than many of Stålenhag's paintings, at least until we see kids chased by dinosaurs, VR hiveminds, consumer appliances going body horror, or the other dark bits in his work.

* The relevant art is way down the page. He's had a few loosely-linked series of pictures (made into art/story books as Tales from the Loop, Things from the Flood, and The Electric State) and seems to be deep in a more post-apocalyptic or post-disaster setting, right now.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

My son sent me a link thinking I'd be interested in the trailer for the HBO reboot of Perry Mason. Never read the books and the only think I liked about the old TV show was the theme music. Well, that and many years later being in on the joke of the copies of Corpus Juris Secundum at the end credits roll. Yeah, that's what Perry would turn to for his legal research.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

This sounds rad:
We review Assassin 33 A.D., a film that is both a shockingly sophisticated meditation on Christian faith and theology, and one where Jesus Christ gets double-tapped in the head by a Tier 1 operator named Brandt.

Highway

Post by Highway »

I probably don't want to actually see a bunch of Gamera movies, but this is a great job of cutting together a trailer from a whole bunch of old movies.

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Really neat.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

The first season of Mr. Mercedes is quite good, and very very dark, but after two episodes of season two I don't know if I'm into it any more. There are some tropes I don't like, and...

*SPOILER*

'innocent person manipulated by magic into crimes that they are blamed for until late in the arc'

Is one of my last favorite.