I may want to see that?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Aresen

Re: I may want to see that?

Post by Aresen » 29 Nov 2017, 22:18

Death of Stalin

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Dec 2017, 23:33

Netflix to Adapt John Scalzi’s Old Man’s War as a Movie

I've only read the first one which was interesting enough. There's some stuff in it that might make a good movie or two. I am curious if they're going to keep the green skin though.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 08 Dec 2017, 12:17

"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Dec 2017, 17:01

Gentlemen, if you cock this one up, I will find you, and I will bake you the worst cake. Are we clear?

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 08 Dec 2017, 17:09

I think Cameron has been talking about that for like twenty years.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Dec 2017, 17:13

Jasper wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 12:17
[Entebbe trailer]
Would have been a good movie as late as 2002, but I feel like that was in the before time, a different world that just doesn't apply to the looking glass world we live in now.
Dangerman wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 17:01
[Alita trailer]

Gentlemen, if you cock this one up, I will find you, and I will bake you the worst cake. Are we clear?
The trailer looks very good, but I've got Cameron on autonope.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Dec 2017, 18:32

Weird I was just reading this a few weeks ago.

I don't quite understand the big eye thing. I mean in the manga she had big eyes but that's just a manga/anime thing. Lot's of people in the comic had big eyes. It also looks like the translation has lost some of the more bizarre whimsy of the manga. A lot of the humor was in a lot of the absurdity of the designs. Hope they can keep some of that.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Dec 2017, 19:14

They're sometimes called "Disney eyes". People respond to them. I expect to see more of them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 09 Dec 2017, 16:05

Hmmm, Jordan Peele is rebooting The Twilight Zone. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with. Black Mirror sets a pretty high bar for the genre.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Dec 2017, 22:54

The Indian Detective -- nothing in the autoplay-on-Netflix trailer was remotely appealing to me, but I motherfucking LOVE Russell Peters, so I am torn.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 07 Jan 2018, 16:01

The Alienist is being adapted for a tv miniseries. I've only read the free Kindle sample to the book, but I might want to see the adaptation first.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Jan 2018, 20:01

The book is mostly jerking itself off. Wacky alt history cast of characters and stereotypes. Etc.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JD

Post by JD » 22 Jan 2018, 14:58

A Wrinkle In Time - the trailer looks beautiful, and that's the problem. Everything I remember from the book is that the characters and the setting are not gorgeous. From what I remember (it's been a long time), Meg is an extremely awkward teenager, Calvin is gangly and dirt-poor, the Murrys' house is ramshackle and messy, etc. But in the trailer at least, everything and everyone is beautiful and sparkly. To me, this weakens the punch of the story a lot. It no longer takes place in a fantastic but believable world, it takes place in airbrushed Hollywood.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 22 Jan 2018, 15:51

JD wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 14:58
A Wrinkle In Time - the trailer looks beautiful, and that's the problem. Everything I remember from the book is that the characters and the setting are not gorgeous. From what I remember (it's been a long time), Meg is an extremely awkward teenager, Calvin is gangly and dirt-poor, the Murrys' house is ramshackle and messy, etc. But in the trailer at least, everything and everyone is beautiful and sparkly. To me, this weakens the punch of the story a lot. It no longer takes place in a fantastic but believable world, it takes place in airbrushed Hollywood.
Well, unless it was going to be a tiny indie movie, there was zero chance they wouldn't cast an attractive child actress for Meg. (And even then, a pretty low chance.)

But yeah, everything is strange and glossy and shiny in the trailers. They're going to make Aunt Beast cute, I bet, instead of a kind-hearted quasi-lovecraftian monster.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Jan 2018, 15:57

The trailer looked shiny and also suggests to me I remember zero about that book.

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Jan 2018, 16:05

JasonL wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 15:57
The trailer looked shiny and also suggests to me I remember zero about that book.
I've probably said it before, but the only thing I remember about the book is that I tried multiple times to read it and could never get interested enough to continue. I feel like the writing style just didn't do it for me, didn't flow right.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 22 Jan 2018, 16:48

Highway wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 16:05
JasonL wrote:
I've probably said it before, but the only thing I remember about the book is that I tried multiple times to read it and could never get interested enough to continue. I feel like the writing style just didn't do it for me, didn't flow right.
I remember that, too. Something about the writing style was utterly backwards and kept me from getting the hang of it.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Jan 2018, 20:57

JasonL wrote:
Me too. I thought I read it, but I'm starting to think I never did.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 Jan 2018, 13:44

It doesn't matter how faithful or not the film adaptation is, my wife will still hate it because she simply can't accept any variance at all. The only entirely satisfactory film version would just run a scroll of the entire text of the novel start to finish.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jan 2018, 13:50

D.A. Ridgely wrote:It doesn't matter how faithful or not the film adaptation is, my wife will still hate it because she simply can't accept any variance at all. The only entirely satisfactory film version would just run a scroll of the entire text of the novel start to finish.
I just learned my wife is like this with IT.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jan 2018, 14:04

JasonL wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:It doesn't matter how faithful or not the film adaptation is, my wife will still hate it because she simply can't accept any variance at all. The only entirely satisfactory film version would just run a scroll of the entire text of the novel start to finish.
Yeah, there's a scene in that novel that no theater should ever show, even in pure text form.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jan 2018, 14:04

JasonL wrote:
Yeah, there's a scene in that novel that no theater should ever show, even in pure text form.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 23 Jan 2018, 15:10

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 13:44
It doesn't matter how faithful or not the film adaptation is, my wife will still hate it because she simply can't accept any variance at all. The only entirely satisfactory film version would just run a scroll of the entire text of the novel start to finish.
I prefer to watch adaptations before reading source materials, but not because I hate variations. It's more that there's a different quantity of information in written material, usually with more detail, and I'd rather fill that in later than expect it in the movie and not have it be there.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jan 2018, 15:14

thoreau wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 14:04
JasonL wrote:
I'm not sure it was the sewer thing per se, she kept saying they made stupid changes for no reason argh. I was at a bar and got like 20 texts of argh that night. I got the "i don't do horror movies" pass on watching it.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 23 Jan 2018, 15:19

If you don't like adaptations:

1. Die alone.
2. Don't ever watch adaptations.