I may want to see that?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Hugh Akston

Re: I may want to see that?

Post by Hugh Akston »

Eric the .5b wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Guys I think I might have to see Ghost in the Shell in the theater. My only justification is that the last time someone adapted an anime I've never seen into a visually insane live-action movie it ended up being one of my all-time favorite movies.
Which one was the last one?
Speed Racer
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Guys I think I might have to see Ghost in the Shell in the theater. My only justification is that the last time someone adapted an anime I've never seen into a visually insane live-action movie it ended up being one of my all-time favorite movies.
Speed Racer
You never saw Speed Racer the Japanimation dubbed into English TV show? I have sads for you. Also, I think you're missing out on half the movie. 25% at least.
Oh and I'm with on on Speed Racer the movie. It's no where near my all-time favorite, but it's awesome. I don't get the criticism at all. The CGI looks exactly like it's suppose to.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Speed Racer
You never saw Speed Racer the Japanimation dubbed into English TV show? I have sads for you. Also, I think you're missing out on half the movie. 25% at least.
Oh and I'm with on on Speed Racer the movie. It's no where near my all-time favorite, but it's awesome. I don't get the criticism at all. The CGI looks exactly like it's suppose to.
It wasn't the cgi that bothered me it was the ridiculously pretentious dives into Michael Moore territory in a movie about kung-fu cars.

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

I don't know if the Ghost in the Shell movie will be any good but from what I have seen from the trailer it doesn't sound anything like the anime. It looks way too emotional.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Painboy wrote:
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Speed Racer
It wasn't the cgi that bothered me it was the ridiculously pretentious dives into Michael Moore territory in a movie about kung-fu cars.
Michael Moore territory?
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dhex

Post by dhex »

Painboy wrote:I don't know if the Ghost in the Shell movie will be any good but from what I have seen from the trailer it doesn't sound anything like the anime. It looks way too emotional.
anime has lots of emotions. like ephebophilia.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
Painboy wrote:
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Speed Racer
Michael Moore territory?
The baddie was Big Auto corporation. But if it was MM territory Pops and Speed would be working for the union. As independents it's actually more libertarian.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Painboy wrote:
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote: Which one was the last one?
Speed Racer
Michael Moore territory?
The baddie was Big Auto corporation. But if it was MM territory Pops and Speed would be working for the union. As independents it's actually more libertarian.
It wasn't just the subject matter. It was the typical Wachowski thing where they ruin the pace and feel of their movie with long winded philosophizing lectures to the audience often at odds with what the rest of movie is doing. Whatever their intent the first Matrix is the only movie by them that successfully blended their ideas into the story. Otherwise the Wachowski dramatic curve seems to be 10 minutes of kung-fu, 10 minutes of lecturing, 10 minutes of shootouts, 10 minutes of lecturing, 10 minutes of kung-fu and shootouts, etc.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Those lecture scenes are what elevate Speed Racer above the level of a ridiculous cartoon. They aren't so much about ideas as they are about heart. One of them is probably the best performance John Goodman has turned in outside of the Big Lebowski.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:Those lecture scenes are what elevate Speed Racer above the level of a ridiculous cartoon. They aren't so much about ideas as they are about heart. One of them is probably the best performance John Goodman has turned in outside of the Big Lebowski.
Not counting the voice-over work on The Emperor's New Groove natch.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Jasper wrote:
You had me at Woody Harrelson
*googles "ebbing, MO"
Aw shit. It's not a real place.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex »

ok yeah that seems ok.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

EDIT: NVM
Last edited by Hugh Akston on 24 Mar 2017, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:Yeah that's definitely going on the list
You got a little list Hughie?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Was it one of you guys that mentioned having the hots for Aubrey Plaza on FB or Twit?

"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The first trailer was kinda meh, but the more I see the more intriguing this looks. It could be worth the price of a ticket.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: The first trailer was kinda meh, but the more I see the more intriguing this looks. It could be worth the price of a ticket.
I'm too 'Get off my lawn' for that music.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

One hand: Anthony Atamanuik is the best Trump

Other hand: It's going to be hard to sustain that level of performance over a long term

Third hand: is it even possible to parody the Trump administration at this point?

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:Third hand: is it even possible to parody the Trump administration at this point?
What do you mean by "at this point"? And no. No it is not.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:Third hand: is it even possible to parody the Trump administration at this point?
I think there could be humor value in painting the Trump administration as secret Democrats who are trying to bring down the Republican party with their idiotic actions and inspire the whiny useless Democratic party into some semblance of competency. Bonus in that it would offend both parties for a change.

Now I'm coming up with sketches in my head (bad ones as we have long ago established I can't write comedy). Trump's twitter is run by an actual butthurt tween and Trump himself keeps being surprised that anyone can get so upset about 140 characters. Trump hates golfing and is terrible at it but they keep dragging him out to the course, while he keeps sneaking off to try to get updates on the actual business of the presidency. Sean Spicer finds it hard to keep up his performances so he joins a bro gym to get steroids so he can have roid rages.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Ellie wrote:
Warren wrote:
I think there could be humor value in painting the Trump administration as secret Democrats who are trying to bring down the Republican party with their idiotic actions and inspire the whiny useless Democratic party into some semblance of competency. Bonus in that it would offend both parties for a change.
And there could be a spinoff where the Clintons are trying to bring down the Democrats.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Aresen wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Warren wrote:
And there could be a spinoff where the Clintons are trying to bring down the Democrats.
Haha, YES! Chelsea Clinton's time in academia made her snap and go full anti-veal anti-millennials paleoconservative, and she's trying to build herself up as a presidential candidate in the hopes of taking down the donkeys from the inside, so she and Trump are bitter, bitter enemies.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Warren

Post by Warren »

That sounds better than 98.6% of what passes for comedy. I'd watch the first few episodes at least.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »