I may want to see that?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe

I may want to see that?

Post by Kolohe » 09 Dec 2011, 22:54

Marion Barry biopic staring Eddie Murphy.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertain ... story.html
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Re: I may want to see that?

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 09 Dec 2011, 22:57

Kolohe wrote:Marion Barry biopic staring Eddie Murphy.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertain ... story.html
I'll definitely see it if the title is "The Bitch Set Me Up!"

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Dec 2011, 03:13

Men in Black was really great. Men in Black Two was Exhibit B in the case against unnecessary sequels. This movie looks like it could be largely sans-Tommy Lee Jones, so whats the point?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Dec 2011, 10:33

Hugh Akston wrote:

Men in Black was really great. Men in Black Two was Exhibit B in the case against unnecessary sequels. This movie looks like it could be largely sans-Tommy Lee Jones, so whats the point?
$$$$$

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Dec 2011, 13:21

Thank you, Mr. Ridgely, but I was more curious about my potential motivations for seeing the movie. I long ago stopped trying to understand the reasons other people act as they do, and now merely assume that everyone but myself and my ideological fellow-travelers act out of stupidity or unalloyed baby-eating malevolence. I'm looking into a career in cable television punditry.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Dec 2011, 13:28

Hugh Akston wrote:I long ago stopped trying to understand the reasons other people act as they do, and now merely assume that everyone but myself and my ideological fellow-travelers act out of stupidity or unalloyed baby-eating malevolence. I'm looking into a career in cable television punditry.
If you go to work for Rupert Murdoch, you'll witness baby-eating malevolence first-hand.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Dec 2011, 14:59

Speaking of which, dbcooper may have seen them the, um, legitimate way, but a British television station has been airing a short (three episode) 'series' called Black Mirror. The first show is about the kidnapping of a popular princess, the ransom demand being that the Prime Minister engage in, um, sexual intercourse with a pig live on television. I wish I could report hilarity ensued, but they apparently played it mostly seriously.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 13 Dec 2011, 15:09

I haven't seen it, but I've heard both that it's good and that it's too silly.

The creator, Charlie Brooker, is a satirical writer, so I imagine that it's rather tongue in cheek.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 Dec 2011, 21:02

when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Dec 2011, 22:54

has anyone ever posited that the onion is actually a project by a team of time travellers trying to bypass the whole "if you change the past everyone in the future has toasters for thumbs" thing by leaving us subtle clues?
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Dec 2011, 23:35

I can hardly wait for the "Old Maid" trailer.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 14 Dec 2011, 13:15

Aresen wrote:
I can hardly wait for the "Old Maid" trailer.
What kills me is that none of these articles ever seems to mention that Clue would be a remake.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Dec 2011, 20:34

At the theater the other day, I saw a poster for The Secret World of Arrietty, based on the book The Borrowers. My first instinct was, "You changed the title and no doubt butchered a piece of my childhood! Die, scum!" But then David pointed out it was Hayao Miyazaki and released by Studio Ghibli, so ... maybe?

Oh, god, I loved that book so much. It was a perfect example of that thing somebody mentioned offhand somewhere and I've always wanted to read a really good analysis of, which was that how come all us girls who grew up in the 70s and 80s grew up reading middle grade books with sad/bittersweet/not-happily-ever-after endings? (I'm looking at you, The Great Gilly Hopkins.)
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Dec 2011, 22:41

Ellie wrote:At the theater the other day, I saw a poster for The Secret World of Arrietty, based on the book The Borrowers. My first instinct was, "You changed the title and no doubt butchered a piece of my childhood! Die, scum!" But then David pointed out it was Hayao Miyazaki and released by Studio Ghibli, so ... maybe?

Oh, god, I loved that book so much. It was a perfect example of that thing somebody mentioned offhand somewhere and I've always wanted to read a really good analysis of, which was that how come all us girls who grew up in the 70s and 80s grew up reading middle grade books with sad/bittersweet/not-happily-ever-after endings? (I'm looking at you, The Great Gilly Hopkins.)
For some reason that book was on my shelf the whole time I was growing up, and I never read it. It's not like I let books being 'for girls' stop me. I just could never get into it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Dec 2011, 22:44

i learned a lot of things from judy blume, but not always enough to explain everything. (i.e. for years i had a horrifically misinformed idea of what periods were.)
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Dec 2011, 00:14

dhex wrote:i learned a lot of things from judy blume, but not always enough to explain everything. (i.e. for years i had a horrifically misinformed idea of what periods were.)
there is so much truth here...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 Dec 2011, 00:53

Id est or exampli gratia?

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 15 Dec 2011, 14:20

Ellie wrote:At the theater the other day, I saw a poster for The Secret World of Arrietty, based on the book The Borrowers. My first instinct was, "You changed the title and no doubt butchered a piece of my childhood! Die, scum!" But then David pointed out it was Hayao Miyazaki and released by Studio Ghibli, so ... maybe?
Just to save some time for anyone else here who is a cultural cripple like me: A quick Google image image search reveals that Hayao Miyazaki is not a hot Asian actress.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Dec 2011, 14:40

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Dec 2011, 23:04

dhex wrote:has anyone ever posited that the onion is actually a project by a team of time travellers trying to bypass the whole "if you change the past everyone in the future has toasters for thumbs" thing by leaving us subtle clues?
I am so stealing this theory.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Feb 2012, 17:57

Bourne - MATT DAMON + Jeremy Renner + Edward Norton = Maybe?

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 09 Feb 2012, 18:07

It's also - Paul Greengrass.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 10 Feb 2012, 08:28

dbcooper wrote:It's also - Paul Greengrass.
Screw that. He already made Bourne 2 and 3 unwatchable.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 10 Feb 2012, 09:10

Andrew wrote:
dbcooper wrote:It's also - Paul Greengrass.
Screw that. He already made Bourne 2 and 3 unwatchable.
That should be minus Paul Greengrass, to clear up confusion. The screenwriter of this and the previous movies is directing now, IIRC.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 10 Feb 2012, 20:52

Some of the imagery in this looks neat, but it'd probably be better as a short film or music video.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/inde ... ckrainbow/