What are you doing this weekend?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
the innominate one

Re: What are you doing this weekend?

Post by the innominate one » 23 Nov 2015, 22:14

What were you doing, Kolohe, some form of cosplay?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 23 Nov 2015, 23:22

the innominate one wrote:What were you doing, Kolohe, some form of cosplay?
Yes, I was pretending to be a Protestant.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 24 Nov 2015, 01:32

Congrats! I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it, but it was the day after one of our two conferences. I was asleep most of the weekend.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Nov 2015, 21:29

Thanksgiving, hanging out overnight with my mother, vegging Saturday for my birthday, then going over to my brother's for the birthday celebration. Saturday, my brother's wife sent me a text with audio of one nephew telling me "Happy birthday, Uncle Eck!", which was painfully adorable.

Now, I'm pondering mixing a little whipped honey into some Deanston 12-year.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 30 Nov 2015, 10:15

Hey, congrats Kolohe!
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Dec 2015, 19:26

Thursday I'm having a British New Year's party for people who want a pre-party or who want to go to bed at a decent hour. I'm planning to make a halfass chicken tikka masala, regular scones and gluten free soy free dairy free scones (yeah, we have some food restrictions in this crowd), and then store bought chips and cookies labeled "crisps and biscuits." :D I'm still trying to figure out some properly British booze options. Then we'll count down to midnight in England at 6pm local time.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Dec 2015, 20:33

Ellie wrote: I'm still trying to figure out some properly British booze options.
Gin?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Dec 2015, 20:38

Rum, to set the stage for sodomy and lashings.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 28 Dec 2015, 20:44

Jennifer wrote:
Ellie wrote: I'm still trying to figure out some properly British booze options.
Gin?
Classic. There are some beers, too. Guinness would be easy.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Dec 2015, 22:29

Eric the .5b wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Gin?
Guinness isn't British. Samuel Smith's, Young's, Fullers', Bellhaven, Bass, Bishop's Naeme, and some other shit are British. The Brits eat the fuck out of Guinness,

And the famous English wine.

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Dec 2015, 22:29

lunchstealer wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Gin?
Guinness isn't British. Samuel Smith's, Young's, Fullers', Bellhaven, Bass, Bishop's Naeme, and some other shit are British. The Brits eat the fuck out of Guinness,

And the famous English wine.

Also a shitton of scotch.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 29 Dec 2015, 09:08

You should make or buy spotted dick
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Dec 2015, 11:25

A quick Google search for traditional English New Year's celebrations says this:
More traditionally, on the stroke of midnight, people open the back door (to let the old year out) and ask the first dark haired man to be seen to come through the front door carrying salt, coal and bread. This means that the following year everyone in the house will have enough to eat (bread), enough money (salt) and be warm enough (coal).
Of course, this might require modifications to reflect advances in technology. For example: if your condo has electric heat, then instead of coal you can have the dark-haired guy carry a battery. Or if it's heated with gas, then he can carry a can of baked beans....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

nicole

Post by nicole » 29 Dec 2015, 11:46

Jennifer wrote:A quick Google search for traditional English New Year's celebrations says this:
More traditionally, on the stroke of midnight, people open the back door (to let the old year out) and ask the first dark haired man to be seen to come through the front door carrying salt, coal and bread. This means that the following year everyone in the house will have enough to eat (bread), enough money (salt) and be warm enough (coal).
Of course, this might require modifications to reflect advances in technology. For example: if your condo has electric heat, then instead of coal you can have the dark-haired guy carry a battery. Or if it's heated with gas, then he can carry a can of baked beans....
I was going to suggest letting the year out as well; my dad still does this every New Year. But after opening the back door to let the old year out, he also opens the front door to let the new one in.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Dec 2015, 11:49

In 4-5 years our jokes about English food and wine will probably be somewhat less accurate. English wine is now becoming a thing. Sparkling primarily. Taittenger now has english vineyards.

http://www.decanter.com/tag/english-wine/

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 23 Apr 2016, 16:37

The weather is beautiful here, so I'm going to the science library at Berkeley.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 Apr 2016, 18:29

Entertaining Mr Bailey, in town for a talk.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 23 Apr 2016, 18:40

I got distracted by going in to a comic book store north of the city of Berkeley and when I left, there was a high speed police chase going on, so I decided to just go home.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Apr 2016, 19:24

the innominate one wrote:I got distracted by going in to a comic book store north of the city of Berkeley and when I left, there was a high speed police chase going on, so I decided to just go home.
And the police followed you the whole way?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 23 Apr 2016, 19:28

I just jumped the river in my car and got away.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Jul 2016, 00:49

Chillin' in the hot tub.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Jul 2016, 02:26

Packing to move. Ugh.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Oct 2016, 15:33

David is out watching the football game while I get the house ready for a surprise party tonight (today is his 40th birthday). Judging by the Facebook RSVPs, the real surprise may be that no one shows up, but oh well, more karaoke time for him.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Oct 2016, 11:00

A good group of people showed up but didn't stay super long. So our friends must love David but hate my parties. :lol:

David also figured out that there was a surprise party being planned, because he wasn't listening when I told him my cover story. Thanks a lot, husband! Your bad habits are now acutely as well as chronically annoying to me! ;)

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 06 Mar 2017, 12:55

I helped move my wife's Uncle and Aunt into their elderly living apartment on Saturday. Uncle Fred was probably one of the smartest people I have ever known. Sadly, the Alzheimer's has made him flicker in and out. Mostly out. He has also lost a lot of weight (6'-1" and 130 lbs)

He has an appointment to visit the hospice home today. Sad.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus