What are you doing this weekend?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Re: What are you doing this weekend?

Post by Ellie » 14 Jun 2015, 09:45

Warren wrote:Can't you bone with the modspawn in the house? If not, why not.
Virtually never. If he's asleep, he wakes up (somehow he KNOWS). When he's awake, he throws a tantrum at being left with no one to pay attention to him (the sound of a screaming baby is not a known aphrodisiac) or he goes quiet (there is no sound to strike fear into parents' hearts like the silence of a toddler). Once I tried to let him into the room with us in the hopes that he'd play quietly in the corner, but instead he just tried to join in with us. Awkward!

Anyway, it was all a moo point as Supply and Demand decided I wouldn't be getting off the couch for the evening, so we had to cancel the whole shebang.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Jun 2015, 12:04

Ellie wrote:Supply and Demand
So we have a winner in the Name the Overlords Loin Fruit contest? Was there a memo?
Ellie wrote:When he's awake, he throws a tantrum at being left with no one to pay attention to him
This concerns me. Being left alone to entertain one's self is an absolutely vital component of early childhood. One of those things that gets harder to undo the damage as time goes by.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Jun 2015, 13:43

On my way to a gallery show of work inspired by Tom Hanks movies from 1984 to 1994.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Jun 2015, 13:44

it's hardly worth concern. they go through phases where they bite their own feet and then yell at their feet for getting bitten. being clingy and weird in parts will go over to being aloof and weird at other times.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Jun 2015, 15:56

Warren wrote:
Ellie wrote:When he's awake, he throws a tantrum at being left with no one to pay attention to him
This concerns me. Being left alone to entertain one's self is an absolutely vital component of early childhood. One of those things that gets harder to undo the damage as time goes by.
Yeah, we don't usually fall all over ourselves to placate him (although I do feel guilty because he's my BABY and he's CRYING and I'm a HORRIBLE MOTHER) and we just let him deal with it if he's alone because somebody's downstairs doing laundry or upstairs taking a shit or whatever. But when it comes to sex, he wins that round with his tantrums, because talk about a mood killer.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 Jun 2015, 01:40

I assembled my new weight bench. It's maybe a bit gimmicky, but I purchased a Bowflex bench to go with my Bowflex adjustable dumbbells that I got a few months ago, which are awesome. Adjust the weight with just a turn of a dial.

Now I'm babysitting my grandfather in the hospital again. At first they thought pneumonia, but now they're not sure. I'm also annoying the nursing staff and they are annoying me in return. They are annoying me by being ignorant and I'm annoying them by making them aware of their ignorance. The tech came in and took his vital signs. I asked for the bp & hr. I pointed out first to the tech, then to his nurse that his pulse pressure (=systolic - diastolic) was high enough to be of concern. They had no idea what I was talking about, thinking I was referring to his heart rate, etc., even after I explained. The nurse incorrectly related part of my statement to the charge nurse, who at least knew what pulse pressure was, but wasn't concerned because she wasn't told to keep an eye on it and because his EKG looks normal, which it does, except his T wave appears slightly elevated. I pointed that out and she agreed, but that it was a matter for the cardiologist. A slightly elevated p.p. is normal for patients receiving certain types of drugs for hypertension treatment but over 80 is a matter of concern (even over 60 is concerning in a normal person).
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 Jun 2015, 20:20

This coming weekend is the long awaited visit from the MIL (and niece). Contrary to stereotypes I like her perfectly fine and all.

The plan WAS: take her over Hatcher Pass the long way via Willow and then spend a couple days at our cabins.
Forest fire + 85 degree weather may well preclude some or all of those plans. Fortunately she's an easy going person so shifting plans won't really be a big deal, just an irritation on my part.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Jun 2015, 22:13

Ellie wrote:Celebrating our anniversary. Because we are hella classy, we're getting a babysitter to take Modspawn out of the house so we can bone.

Also, I need to figure out a present to give David. His present to me is going to be agreeing to follow our new-house chore chart. I haven't told him this yet, but I assume he is down. I was going to offer that he pick one thing I nag him about and I'll stop nagging, but I am honestly not sure I could keep that promise. I am old, and set in my ways, and also he is a nag magnet.

Anyway, we are also going out to eat at a hotel bar that has really amazing cheese curds. What did I tell you? Hella classy!
You can't spell poutang without poutine.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Jun 2015, 23:45

Kolohe wrote:
Ellie wrote:Celebrating our anniversary. Because we are hella classy, we're getting a babysitter to take Modspawn out of the house so we can bone.

Also, I need to figure out a present to give David. His present to me is going to be agreeing to follow our new-house chore chart. I haven't told him this yet, but I assume he is down. I was going to offer that he pick one thing I nag him about and I'll stop nagging, but I am honestly not sure I could keep that promise. I am old, and set in my ways, and also he is a nag magnet.

Anyway, we are also going out to eat at a hotel bar that has really amazing cheese curds. What did I tell you? Hella classy!
Of course you can. You just did. Or misdid. Misspelled poontang that is. Which still doesn't have any cheese curds in it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 16 Jun 2015, 00:11

Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:

Of course you can. You just did. Or misdid. Misspelled poontang that is. Which still doesn't have any cheese curds in it.
Only if you're living your life wrong.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 Jun 2015, 00:40

That seems unhygenic. And although it's supposed to be a certain level of unhygenic or it's no fun, I think that's a fair ways past the peak.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 16 Jun 2015, 00:46

lunchstealer wrote:That seems unhygenic. And although it's supposed to be a certain level of unhygenic or it's no fun, I think that's a fair ways past the peak.
Prude. :P
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 11 Jul 2015, 21:24

Bought a gun. Smoked some pipe tobacco. Drank some vodka.
Now I just need to light off some explosives to satisfy the E in BATFE and it will be a complete quadrifecta weekend.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 07 Sep 2015, 18:30

Hanging with geriatrics.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Sep 2015, 18:40

the innominate one wrote:Hanging with geriatrics.
Bring prunes. They're like money on the inside.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 07 Sep 2015, 19:18

Prunes are needed.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Sep 2015, 02:36

the innominate one wrote:Hanging with geriatrics.
New York City? Get the rope.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 08 Sep 2015, 16:08

Was in Castle Rock, CO over the weekend to visit a friend that had moved out there 2 years ago. Played board games, drank beers, & ate pizza all weekend.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Sep 2015, 18:02

Cool. Saw the FB pics and thought it had to be around Castle Rock. Your friend has a crappy view from his back yard. Ahem.

There was a boardgame/wargame convention in Denver this weekend, too. Some friends were there, but I played wow all weekend. Hopefully next year I'll have things together enough to go.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Oct 2015, 19:25

Thanks to the magic of Netflix, I'll be watching Bare Behind Bars, some of the finest sexploitation they have to offer. Oh, and the first disc of True Detective, season 1, finally.

JD

Post by JD » 06 Oct 2015, 10:51

So this is what happened last weekend...

Overall things went really well. 9 days on Seneca Lake in upstate New York, the first few alone and then with an ever-increasing flood of relatives and friends, staying at a guest house on a Mennonite farm. I got to collect eggs from the chicken coop every morning, which was fun for a city boy like me. The weather was a bit iffy (cold and rainy on wedding day itself) but the barn where we held the wedding was warm and dry. And we saw a lunar eclipse, we found a double-yolked egg (which was actually the first egg collected of the whole trip), a whole bunch of ladybugs appeared right outside the house's door the day after the wedding, and we saw a shooting star - interesting stuff, if you happen to believe in omens.

Big collection of photos at https://instagram.com/explore/tags/jdamanda2015/ with more to come soon.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Oct 2015, 10:57

Nice! Congrats!

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Oct 2015, 11:18

Congrats!
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Oct 2015, 11:34

Congrats!
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 06 Oct 2015, 11:45

Excellent. Congrats JD!
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex