cars and how they get that way

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: cars and how they get that way

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Jun 2019, 14:37

2001 Mazda Miata Project:

Bought new, currently with 40k miles on it, I'm in the process (roughly midway through) of restoring it inside and out. In fact, it's in the shop this very minute for all of the mechanical upgrades required for the final mechanical work: a supercharger.

As you can see, the exterior is done: repainted (original color) and new soft top, plus the tires are fairly new. The original interior is shot, however, through rain damage and neglect over the years and needs new seat upholstery and carpeting. Also, I'll probably upgrade the original Bose sound system to a double-din touch screen to permit me to Bluetooth stream music from my phone, make and receive calls and navigate. Finally, when the paint is good and cured, I'll install a luggage rack over the trunk.

The ultimate goal is a road-trip worthy car I can take, say, to drive the Pacific Coast Highway. I think the NB is still the most attractive MX-5 Mazda has ever produced, and I'm viewing the restoration as a poor man's Lotus or Porsche. When I bought it in 2000, it was fully loaded w/ a 1.8L in-line 4 cyl. engine, 6 speed manual transmission, anti-lock breaks (newly offered then) and a stiffer, 'racing' suspension. That last remains an unfixable problem, though. At my age, 300 miles in a day is more than enough for me to feel, to borrow from James Bond, both shaken and stirred. So that road trip, if it ever happens, is going to be nice and leisurely.

dead_elvis
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by dead_elvis » 29 Jun 2019, 21:17

Sweet! Except for your heresy regarding the NB, as it is obviously fact that the NA is the most attractive evar. Flip up lights or gtfo ;)

And yeah a long road trip would be rough. My back can’t take more than a couple hours in our Miata.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 29 Jun 2019, 21:45

Very nice, DAR. I've only driven an NB, but it was one of the sweetest handling cars I've encountered. Only the mid-engined cars I've driven felt better. And the transmission is a work of art.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Aug 2019, 13:32

Old-school luggage rack installed; exterior restoration is essentially complete!!!

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Aug 2019, 13:52

Where's the big key you wind it up with?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 08 Aug 2019, 16:26

Gas pedal, more like break pedal, right...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lianeyvkof ... -happened/
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 08 Aug 2019, 16:42

dead_elvis wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 21:17
Flip up lights or gtfo ;)
As the former owner/driver of a Ford Probe, I take issue with this. They look cool until the mechanism fails, at which point your car either looks like it's drunk or flirting all the time. Not worth it.
Perhaps the greatest loss of all is that we may never again live in a world free of hyperbole. --JasonL

Jake

Post by Jake » 08 Aug 2019, 17:15

Wixenstyx wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 16:42
dead_elvis wrote:
As the former owner/driver of a Ford Probe, I take issue with this. They look cool until the mechanism fails, at which point your car either looks like it's drunk or flirting all the time. Not worth it.
Drunk and flirting seems like a good way to make sure your car is popular, at least.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Aug 2019, 17:55

Ford Probing boundaries, amirite?

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Aug 2019, 18:02

#MiataToo
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Aug 2019, 19:42

So remember the car you all helped me repair last year? 297k this week. Would Honda be interested in taking it back to inspect if I get above 300k so you think?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Aug 2019, 20:38

Wixenstyx wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 16:42
dead_elvis wrote:
This. When the Corvette first came out with flip-up lids, it was cool. By the time Ford Probes had them, it was all over. The biggest design flaw with the NA Miata was that it was designed to look cute. Roadsters aren't supposed to be cute. Frivolous, yes, but not cute. The second biggest flaw was the flip-up lights.
So remember the car you all helped me repair last year? 297k this week. Would Honda be interested in taking it back to inspect if I get above 300k so you think?
No. Hondas are routinely logging 400 to 500k miles these days. My wife treats automobiles like Trump treats immigrants and her Honda still has well over 200k. Kept in reasonably good repair and oil changed regularly, they're damned close to bulletproof.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Aug 2019, 13:57

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 20:38
No. Hondas are routinely logging 400 to 500k miles these days. My wife treats automobiles like Trump treats immigrants and her Honda still has well over 200k. Kept in reasonably good repair and oil changed regularly, they're damned close to bulletproof.
I enjoy the threads on reddit from /justrolledintotheshop where they take apart Honda engines with 300k miles and the engines look brand new. Just amazing.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 Aug 2019, 08:38

Warren wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 18:02
#MiataToo
Golf clap.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 26 Sep 2019, 14:25

This one definitely rates a raised-eyebrow scowl: in a Tesla crash in January 2018
According to the report, Autopilot was activated at the time of the crash and the driver was not holding the wheel.

The car was following the vehicle in front but the lead vehicle changed lanes to the right to avoid a parked fire engine obstructing the lane.

The Tesla accelerated, detecting the fire engine in its path only about 0.49 seconds before the crash.

The car's collision-warning alarm was activated but the car did not brake and hit the fire engine at about 30mph (48km/h).
"Detect objects in front of you; do not drive directly into them" kind of seems like the absolute minimum a car autopilot should be able to do. I agree, as Tesla claims, that cars with Autopilot may overall be safer than those without, but if your autopilot can't uphold the First Law of Autopilots, attempting to blame the human driver looks pretty low.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 26 Sep 2019, 22:43

JD wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 14:25
This one definitely rates a raised-eyebrow scowl: in a Tesla crash in January 2018
According to the report, Autopilot was activated at the time of the crash and the driver was not holding the wheel.

The car was following the vehicle in front but the lead vehicle changed lanes to the right to avoid a parked fire engine obstructing the lane.

The Tesla accelerated, detecting the fire engine in its path only about 0.49 seconds before the crash.

The car's collision-warning alarm was activated but the car did not brake and hit the fire engine at about 30mph (48km/h).
"Detect objects in front of you; do not drive directly into them" kind of seems like the absolute minimum a car autopilot should be able to do. I agree, as Tesla claims, that cars with Autopilot may overall be safer than those without, but if your autopilot can't uphold the First Law of Autopilots, attempting to blame the human driver looks pretty low.
Apparently there is some necessity to edit out stationary objects because if it didn't it would detect roadside bullshit and constantly be slamming the brakes. This is half-remembered.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Sep 2019, 10:11

lunchstealer wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 22:43
JD wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 14:25

Apparently there is some necessity to edit out stationary objects because if it didn't it would detect roadside bullshit and constantly be slamming the brakes. This is half-remembered.
If the collision warning is active, then it should be past the filter and the brakes should be applied. With nearly half a second to react at only 30mph, there should definitely have been some mitigation.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 27 Sep 2019, 10:19

I assume the Honda HRV and Toyota CHR were the result of car designers trying to see just how ugly they can make cars and still get people to buy them. I thought the CRV and Rav4 were bad, but clearly those were just warm-ups.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Sep 2019, 10:22

Andrew wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 10:19
I assume the Honda HRV and Toyota CHR were the result of car designers trying to see just how ugly they can make cars and still get people to buy them. I thought the CRV and Rav4 were bad, but clearly those were just warm-ups.
*googles*
The CHR has some contours that try to make it look "sporty" which is dumb for a hatchback. Otherwise they look exactly like every other car on the road.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Sep 2019, 10:53

The suzuki x-90 is the ugliest car that ever was or will be. The Aztek was sexy by comparison.

JD

Post by JD » 27 Sep 2019, 10:53

They look kind of like swoopier, more muscular versions of the Pontiac Aztek, which also just serves to make them look like overgrown Hot Wheels cars.

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Sep 2019, 11:08

I wonder if Jason's one of those people who think the Fiat Multipla is cute. ;)

The main problem is that the CH-R and HRV are just so small, so all the design elements that look okayish on other cars end up being really crammed together. But we are also in a design era where busyness is on top, need another few years until there's another clean design upheaval.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Sep 2019, 11:20

Highway wrote:I wonder if Jason's one of those people who think the Fiat Multipla is cute. ;)

The main problem is that the CH-R and HRV are just so small, so all the design elements that look okayish on other cars end up being really crammed together. But we are also in a design era where busyness is on top, need another few years until there's another clean design upheaval.
The new Mazda 3 is even cleaner than the previous version, so it’s not like there isn’t a role model.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 Sep 2019, 11:30

Miata seat reupholstery is done.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 Sep 2019, 12:31

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 11:30
Miata seat reupholstery is done.

This is actually an upgrade to the original seat covering, which had leather panels but the side and back pieces were vinyl. The replaced foam padding is an improvement, as well. Unfortunately, it also results in a slightly snugger fit, as I'm not quite as svelte as I was 18 years ago. Oh well...

The rest of the interior is worn but not shabby. Mostly, it needs thorough cleaning, though something short of detailing. I'll do or have that done before the penultimate step of installing an upgraded double-din deck w/ touchscreen and Bluetooth link to my smart phone.

Then I just need to go out and rob a liquor store so I can afford the supercharger!