cars and how they get that way

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: cars and how they get that way

Post by JD » 26 Jul 2018, 14:45

Kwix wrote:
14 May 2018, 14:36
In particular I live at the border of civilization where country drivers need to do impossible things like getting up to highway speed before merging from an on ramp.
Ugh. We have a few on-ramps here in NYC where the signage idiotically insists you come to a full stop right before entering the highway. You have no choice but to wait for what seems like a reasonable gap and then absolutely floor it in hopes of getting up to speed in time.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 26 Jul 2018, 14:54

dead_elvis wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 14:36
Both a friend and I have recently rented the Ford Ecosport. We both recommend avoiding these shitmobiles. All of the fancy gizmos as well as basic things like where the rear door on the latches are frustratingly unintuitive. And even though it looks like an SUV one large suitcase can *barely* fit in the back
Ford's design language is horrible. All their controls are just awful, and they perpetuate it through generation after generation of vehicle. They even fuck up things like "handle to pull the back door shut."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Highway

Post by Highway » 26 Jul 2018, 14:56

JD wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 14:45
Kwix wrote:
In particular I live at the border of civilization where country drivers need to do impossible things like getting up to highway speed before merging from an on ramp.
Ugh. We have a few on-ramps here in NYC where the signage idiotically insists you come to a full stop right before entering the highway. You have no choice but to wait for what seems like a reasonable gap and then absolutely floor it in hopes of getting up to speed in time.
It's a compromise. The alternative is a higher frequency of crashes because people get into the limited ramp space, have nowhere to merge in, and run out of road. It's also better for the highway operation, because you don't get the friction of a platoon of vehicles entering and having to find a space. That's the operational idea behind ramp metering, which is just going to get more prevalent.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 26 Jul 2018, 16:47

The dealership where I get service done on my pickup and the dealership where I bought it have both contacted me multiple times to see if I want to sell my truck. In looking at used prices on their websites, I can see why. They are selling similar used trucks with more miles for more than I paid for mine 3 years ago.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Highway

Post by Highway » 26 Jul 2018, 18:01

Used car prices are craaaaaazy. Jack Baruth had a pretty good article about why he thinks this is: So many people have the "I'm never going to buy a NEW car! Why should I take the depreciation hit?" idea that used to be ok advice. But cars have reached a point where they last so long (in general) that a 3 year old car with even 50,000 miles is almost new to both the original buyer and the prospective used buyer. So nobody sells a 3 year old car anymore, much less a 1 or 2 year old car. And while you'd think that there would be a lot coming off of 36 month leases, there still aren't enough to let the prices go down. So people who think they're doing great by buying a "used" car are really just hurting themselves by not even considering a new car.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 Jul 2018, 18:59

Plus cash for clunkers cleared out all the bottom of the market 7 years ago, while new car sales cratered, so much of the current used market is probably far younger than the historical average.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 27 Jul 2018, 01:22

Well that's just crap, as I'm anticipating being in the market for a new-to-me car in the next couple of years, and have always been a fan of used.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Jul 2018, 08:02

The ramifications are actually not that bad. It means cars are holding their value for the reason that they are better. So new cars are far better than they used to be, and are better longer into their life. It's less that you get "screwed" as a used car buyer, and more that the new car buyers are not giving up as much value.

The answer is more that one should not limit themselves to only used cars.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 27 Jul 2018, 10:26

dead_elvis wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 01:22
Well that's just crap, as I'm anticipating being in the market for a new-to-me car in the next couple of years, and have always been a fan of used.
Also, the used market for trucks/Jeep Wranglers is particularly screwed up where I am. Your location might not be as bad, especially for cars.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 31 Jul 2018, 06:55

Last time I went to the mailbox I noticed the temperature gauge on my pickup was acting a little goofy, running cool at speed and heating up at idle. So I figure I've got a fan clutch going out, maybe a thermostat, and seeing as how I've been expressly forbidden from ever working on my own vehicle, which has turned out to be a good thing for me and the machine in question as well as any critter within earshot, I got back to the house just in time to make an appointment with the mechanic. Like a responsible adult.

Appointment's on Monday, so Sunday I popped the hood to check fluid levels and stuff. Like a responsible adult. Oil okay, water okay, brake fluid okay. But then I catch a whiff of something. Damn, Tuco, I said to myself, you really need a bath. But I poke around a little and sure as hell, there's a dead cat wadded up between the radiator and the grill. So I pull him out et voilà problem solved. Temperature gauge stays where it's supposed to. So I didn't have to take a bath or go to town after all.

Don't ever let anyone tell you I ain't a mechanically inclined son of a bitch.

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Jul 2018, 10:59

Congratulations on reclaiming your testicles Tuco!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 31 Jul 2018, 12:14

I'm presuming dead cat isn't a term of art for something engine related?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 31 Jul 2018, 12:31

And you got dinner!

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 31 Jul 2018, 13:59

I thought this thread was cars and how they get that way, not cats and how they get that way.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Jul 2018, 15:50

dhex wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 12:14
No, if he meant some generic undetermined animal he'd have said 'squirrel'.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 01 Aug 2018, 06:26

dhex wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 12:14
Nope. Critters I can recognize. All that other bullshit under the hood is another matter.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 01 Aug 2018, 06:28

Ellie wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 13:59
I thought this thread was cars and how they get that way, not cats and how they get that way.
I'm not good at following rules.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 01 Aug 2018, 06:29

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
31 Jul 2018, 12:31
And you got dinner!
Kitty jerky!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Aug 2018, 02:37

Highway wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 14:56
JD wrote:
Kwix wrote:
It's a compromise. The alternative is a higher frequency of crashes because people get into the limited ramp space, have nowhere to merge in, and run out of road. It's also better for the highway operation, because you don't get the friction of a platoon of vehicles entering and having to find a space. That's the operational idea behind ramp metering, which is just going to get more prevalent.
In Atlanta and its surrounding suburbs, some of the highway on-ramps have actual traffic lights, presumably powered by under-road car-detecting sensors. The lights are not always in use, but when they are, only one car is allowed per green light. I'd never seen that before coming to Atlanta.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Aug 2018, 05:10

Jennifer wrote:
Highway wrote:
JD wrote:
Kwix wrote:
In Atlanta and its surrounding suburbs, some of the highway on-ramps have actual traffic lights, presumably powered by under-road car-detecting sensors. The lights are not always in use, but when they are, only one car is allowed per green light. I'd never seen that before coming to Atlanta.
California has those. They generally are activated during times of high congestion.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Aug 2018, 08:31

Mo wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Highway wrote:
JD wrote:
Kwix wrote:
California has those. They generally are activated during times of high congestion.
Edit: never mind. I already said it.

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Aug 2018, 09:06

California, also, for the most part, also has pretty long merge lanes. Aside from on the old highways, like the 110 in Pasadena. The 110 there also is conveniently very windy, which is great for visibility.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 03 Aug 2018, 10:10

Mo wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 09:06
California, also, for the most part, also has pretty long merge lanes. Aside from on the old highways, like the 110 in Pasadena. The 110 there also is conveniently very windy, which is great for visibility.
The 110 is a lot of fun to drive on in good conditions, but such a pain to merge on.

I do find it absurdly fun that you can just drive on to the beginning of it, though. Like, not with an on-ramp; you're driving south on a regular city street and then you're on the freeway.

(And the fastest way to current partner's place is to drive onto the 110 and then immediately take the first exit, after being on the freeway for like five hundred feet. So that's fun in a silly way too).

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Aug 2018, 10:32

Mo wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 05:10
Jennifer wrote: In Atlanta and its surrounding suburbs, some of the highway on-ramps have actual traffic lights, presumably powered by under-road car-detecting sensors. The lights are not always in use, but when they are, only one car is allowed per green light. I'd never seen that before coming to Atlanta.
That's so interesting to me -- they're everywhere in the Twin Cities, and it never occurred to me they weren't used everywhere in the country.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Aug 2018, 11:41

Ellie wrote:
Mo wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 05:10
Jennifer wrote: In Atlanta and its surrounding suburbs, some of the highway on-ramps have actual traffic lights, presumably powered by under-road car-detecting sensors. The lights are not always in use, but when they are, only one car is allowed per green light. I'd never seen that before coming to Atlanta.
That's so interesting to me -- they're everywhere in the Twin Cities, and it never occurred to me they weren't used everywhere in the country.
There is a huge Not-Invented-Here attitude within highway organizations. They almost need to be convinced they came up with an idea on their own. It's almost worse if it's something that is effective other places, because it's like they "lost" or something.

Ramp metering is also one of those last resort kind of things when you can't construct your way out of a problem. So it's not very prevalent yet.