cars and how they get that way

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Re: cars and how they get that way

Post by Mo » 27 Apr 2018, 13:55

That's probably why they are making Focii and Mustangs.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Apr 2018, 17:12

Apparently they're bringing back the Ranger and Bronco.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 27 Apr 2018, 17:36

lunchstealer wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 17:12
An actual Bronco would be awesome. Too bad it'll be shitty.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 27 Apr 2018, 18:16

Andrew wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 17:36
lunchstealer wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 17:12
An actual Bronco would be awesome. Too bad it'll be shitty.
An updated modern version of the first gen Bronco or the first gen Blazer with the removable roof would be awesome. I would buy another K-5 in a heartbeat if they did that. I finally sold my '75 K-5 Blazer last year because I just didn't have the time, energy or money to keep fucking with it.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Apr 2018, 19:01

It's always struck me that the shittiest drivers drive trucks. Maybe this is an attempt to ruin the curve? :)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Apr 2018, 20:19

They're not getting rid of the Mustang because it's the only thing they have that turns heads. But really, noone buys cars (as opposed to trucks) except for the Accord, Camry, Corolla, Civic, and Altima. Dodge/Chrysler sells three cars, all basically the same car based on a 20-year old Mercedes (Charger, Challenger, 300). They killed the Dart and the 200. Fiat still sells the 500, but noone buys it. The question is not if the rest of the manufacturers will follow suit, the question is when. GM has gotta be looking at their portfolio and timelines and wondering when they can kill off everything that's not electric or a truck.

The last ones standing making any kinds of cars are going to be Honda, Toyota, and Nissan. Mazda might because they just don't know when to quit on anything (they're still looking at rotary engines, and they just got CARB certification for their Skyactiv-D diesel engine). I could definitely see BMW, Audi, and Mercedes abandon everything that's not an S or an A8.

The reason is that the public is not buying cars. They buy trucks and little trucklets that have horrible space utilization.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 11 May 2018, 12:10

Highway wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 20:19
Dodge/Chrysler sells three cars, all basically the same car based on a 20-year old Mercedes (Charger, Challenger, 300).
Speaking of, the leasing company wanted to get back the wife's car because she's way under on miles and they had a buyer. So she's now driving a Challenger. Not one of the big honking V8s, though, just the V6. It's nice, but a Dodge, so I have my doubts.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 May 2018, 14:38

Highway wrote:
The reason is that the public is not buying cars. They buy trucks and little trucklets that have horrible space utilization.
I'm not sure what you mean by a trucklet, but my son's CR-V is very practical for his particular needs and is a comfortable ride for four adults.

Texans drive trucks because, um, because they're Texans and at their Baptist Bar Mitzvah they get dunked in water then given a couple of guns and the keys to an F-150. Truth be told, there have been a number of occasions I wished I owned an old but reliable truck.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 12 May 2018, 15:36

Highway wrote:
Along those lines, I often forget just how much many (most?) people dislike cars/driving. For them, cars are an appliance (and maybe status signal) and driving is a necessary nuisance to get them from A to B.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 12 May 2018, 16:04

Andrew wrote:
12 May 2018, 15:36
Highway wrote:
Along those lines, I often forget just how much many (most?) people dislike cars/driving. For them, cars are an appliance (and maybe status signal) and driving is a necessary nuisance to get them from A to B.

I was hoping to not buy a new car until I could get one that drove itself. I couldn't quite hold out that long, sadly. But driving is one of the least pleasant things I do on a regular basis.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 12 May 2018, 17:30

Jadagul wrote:
12 May 2018, 16:04
Andrew wrote:
Highway wrote:

I was hoping to not buy a new car until I could get one that drove itself. I couldn't quite hold out that long, sadly. But driving is one of the least pleasant things I do on a regular basis.
Because of traffic, or in general? I'm referring to the latter people.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 12 May 2018, 17:37

Andrew wrote:
12 May 2018, 17:30
Jadagul wrote:
12 May 2018, 16:04
Andrew wrote:
Highway wrote:

Because of traffic, or in general? I'm referring to the latter people.
In general. On a per-minute basis I actually think driving in traffic is more pleasant than driving on an open road (except when you have to change lanes). It's slower and less stressful and there's less to manage.

On net it's more annoying, of course, because it means you're driving for more time, and driving sucks.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 May 2018, 18:00

I haaaaaaaaaate driving. Under any circumstances. OMG. I would give my left ass cheek for a self driving car right now.

I hated it even before I had three small children strapped in the back who constantly drop things or take off their shoes (only to immediately regret their decision) and then start wailing "MAMA HELP" until we get to our destination.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 May 2018, 19:47

It's generally the only time of day most of us deal with people who could actively kill us and our loved ones because they sneezed or yelled at the radio or can't stop texting.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 13 May 2018, 21:14

I just don't know what to say to any of you.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 May 2018, 22:15

I don't mind driving, and personally I like trying to get better fuel economy with my car as kind of a game (can I get the whole tank over 50 mpg average?). But I just don't see any place for enjoying "driving" like gearheads think of it in daily driving. What, on the Beltway? That Urban Collector with lights every 500 feet? 99% of driving is a chore, even for people who "like driving", and just like some people like mowing the lawn, or cooking, or cleaning, it's still a chore. And honestly, I'd be able to get the things I like out of driving (the chance to be by myself, to sing badly out loud, to enjoy the weather and the breeze, to get somewhere else) without actually driving with an AV.

The amount of people who are so attached to the actual operation of a vehicle in day-to-day operation is miniscule. Mostly what people are afraid of with AVs is losing that feeling of control. But I think that worry will go away really fast when people see the benefits of them.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 May 2018, 07:32

Number 6 wrote:
13 May 2018, 21:14
Move to Maryland and understand the inversion of all values. Death is life. Life is death. My pickup truck needs testicles.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 May 2018, 09:08

dhex wrote:
14 May 2018, 07:32
Number 6 wrote:
Move to Maryland and understand the inversion of all values. Death is life. Life is death. My pickup truck needs testicles.
Was driving around Ellicott City yesterday and some person in an Enterprise rental van in front of me passed the three cars in front of him on the soft shoulder of a 2 lane country road.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 May 2018, 09:31

I'm a person with robust opinions on many subjects so I'm always surprised with these things that stir passions but I'm like meh. Like weather - I find it odd how many people can't seem to tolerate variability in seasons and will spend huge dollars to have a retirement in an always sunny place. This whole hating driving thing is odd to me that way too. I'd hate it if I were in LA or the beltway or something I guess, but I've lived in train culture and it wasn't that much better. For a long time I thought driverless cars were only of value in high density urban areas because it simply didn't seem any better than car ownership for my median use case in middle america.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 May 2018, 10:44

I also want driverless cars to hurry up and get here because I am a shitty driver. :oops: :lol:
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 May 2018, 10:58

Subway and busses suck in NYC, but compared to the rest of the country are incredibly plentiful and mostly convenient.

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 May 2018, 10:58

Kolohe wrote:
14 May 2018, 09:08
dhex wrote:
14 May 2018, 07:32
Number 6 wrote:
Was driving around Ellicott City yesterday and some person in an Enterprise rental van in front of me passed the three cars in front of him on the soft shoulder of a 2 lane country road.
Throwing old bay out the window, occasionally dusting their "only God can judge me" neck tattoo.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 14 May 2018, 14:36

I thoroughly enjoy driving, even in fast moving traffic like the 75/85 merge in Atlanta. Rush hour, bumper to bumper at 40mph sucks though.
A major issue here is people who can't drive because they learned in some backwoods locale. "Yes, you are driving under the speed limit, waaay under. Yes, you CAN drive in the left lane that slow but you really shouldn't. Yes you CAN drive that SUV slowly in the left lane but maybe you should raise the seat up so you're not staring though the steering wheel." In particular I live at the border of civilization where country drivers need to do impossible things like getting up to highway speed before merging from an on ramp.
Kolohe wrote:
14 May 2018, 09:08
This is my number one gripe here. We have extra wide lanes and full width shoulders in most places. This means that every right hand turning yahoo creates their own personal turning lane. It also means that someone who's turning left on a 2 lane road will get buzzed by people driving the shoulder.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 26 Jul 2018, 14:31

This guy isn't going to let missing half his car keep him from getting around:

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 26 Jul 2018, 14:36

Both a friend and I have recently rented the Ford Ecosport. We both recommend avoiding these shitmobiles. All of the fancy gizmos as well as basic things like where the rear door latches are frustratingly unintuitive. And even though it looks like an SUV one large suitcase can *barely* fit in the back
Last edited by dead_elvis on 26 Jul 2018, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."