cars and how they get that way

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Mo

Re: cars and how they get that way

Post by Mo » 29 Jul 2017, 23:50

Warren wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 01:16
dead_elvis wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 11:03
lunchstealer wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 03:29

Because a GT with legit cargo space is a good thing,
I thought the whole point of a high end sports car is to brag to the world that you have enough money that you can afford to by single-purpose vehicles.

Something I remember from a Garrison Keillor story: kid moves away from Lake Wobegon to the big city, comes back to visit driving a sporty two seater convertible. The farmers all gather around to gawk and take a gander at it and one remarks, "well what do you do when you gotta haul something?"
The whole point of every sports car and "sports" car, is to compensate for a small penis.
That or because they are fun to drive.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jul 2017, 00:02

Mo wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 23:50
Warren wrote:
dead_elvis wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:

I thought the whole point of a high end sports car is to brag to the world that you have enough money that you can afford to by single-purpose vehicles.

Something I remember from a Garrison Keillor story: kid moves away from Lake Wobegon to the big city, comes back to visit driving a sporty two seater convertible. The farmers all gather around to gawk and take a gander at it and one remarks, "well what do you do when you gotta haul something?"
The whole point of every sports car and "sports" car, is to compensate for a small penis.
0.06% of sports car owners take them on the track. Station wagons are equally fun to drive on the public roads.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jul 2017, 00:06

Warren wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 00:02
Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:
dead_elvis wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:

0.06% of sports car owners take them on the track. Station wagons are equally fun to drive on the public roads.
Wat? Peppy acceleration, ability to take tight curves, etc. can all be done on public roads and a wagon vs. a sports car is a very different experience. Mrs. Mo, who is not a car person at all, is a habitual rule follower, and, as far as I know, does not care how big her penis is, says that my car is much more fun to drive than hers is. When I am out of town, she chooses to drive it for that reason.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Jul 2017, 09:28

Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:
Yeah, this isn't true at all. You don't need to be on a track or drive even over the speed limit to gain different appreciations for different driving dynamics.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 30 Jul 2017, 10:41

Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:

As others say, demonstrably untrue. After our Saturn station wagon, the Mazda 3 hatchback we bought made me realize you can have fun driving. And nevermind the Miata.

I had always had the attitude that anything more than basic transportation was a waste, I wanted to spend money on other things. But living in SoCal means spending a lot of time in a car and I realized we might as well try to make it pleasant.

I can't possibly justify it, but as the Mazda3 ages I've been jonesing for a subaru impreza WRX hatchback.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jul 2017, 10:55

dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 10:41
I had always had the attitude that anything more than basic transportation was a waste, I wanted to spend money on other things. But living in SoCal means spending a lot of time in a car and I realized we might as well try to make it pleasant.
Noisy and uncomfortable is the opposite of pleasant to me.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Jul 2017, 13:02

Warren wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 10:55
dead_elvis wrote:
Yeah, sportier in the curves is less comfortable in traffic. However, if you're not hemmed in, you can still enjoy some snappy acceleration and responsive handling. And you can get on a canyon road pretty quickly for a weekend drive.

Last weekend I got the Mazda up a local canyon road where the speed limit was between 30 and 40 the whole time, but the curves were tight enough that I could stay safe from the gendarmes and still have a fun drive. Definitely more fun in a car that stays level and composed than it would be in one that just wallows about like a boat.

Before that, I was renting a Chevy Cruze while the Mazda was in the shop. Holy shit was that an unpleasant experience. It was actually smoother in the straightaways, but the turbo lag was terrible, it was remote and distant in the corners, and it kept turning off the engine at stop lights which made for jarring starts. It was definitely nice to get my sportier car back. But the flipside to that is that there is one long stretch of poorly maintained road that I have to drive to get to a lot of places (without going a couple miles out of my way, anyway) and the stiffer suspension and low-profile tires of my sportier car make it noticeably more uncomfortable, although it sucked in my Outback, too.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Jul 2017, 13:31

lunchstealer wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 13:02
Before that, I was renting a Chevy Cruze while the Mazda was in the shop. Holy shit was that an unpleasant experience. It was actually smoother in the straightaways, but the turbo lag was terrible, it was remote and distant in the corners, and it kept turning off the engine at stop lights which made for jarring starts. It was definitely nice to get my sportier car back. But the flipside to that is that there is one long stretch of poorly maintained road that I have to drive to get to a lot of places (without going a couple miles out of my way, anyway) and the stiffer suspension and low-profile tires of my sportier car make it noticeably more uncomfortable, although it sucked in my Outback, too.
There are plenty of cars that do start/stop well. Mazda has a system that stops the engine in a particular spot, then injects fuel in and starts it by combustion. Hybrid cars that use electric motors do it especially well. GM cars are not included in this group because, as usual, GM is a design dumbass. They typically use a normal old starter motor, and being GM cars they start like GM cars, every time. When you're expecting it to pull away, rather than cranking the starter, then it's gonna feel like crap.

I had a Honda Civic for 16 years, and have an Accord that is now 16 years old. Neither one ever required more than 1 second of starter to start the engine. No Toyota that I've been in in the last 15 years has required more than 1 second on the starter to start. But every GM vehicle I've used takes 1.5+ seconds. Using the starter for start-stop is typical GM feature checkboxing: They try to put a feature they can name the same thing as the competitors on their cars, but always do it in a cheap-out shitty way.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

cars and how they get that way

Post by JasonL » 30 Jul 2017, 13:37

The Bmw does start stop quickly but it's a lil harsh on start. I also would like it to figure out stop and go traffic and quit doing it repeatedly. It does figure it out but not as soon as I'd like. Can turn the feature off easily tho.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 30 Jul 2017, 13:57

Warren wrote:
Noisy
I will say that the Mazda 3 reviews were right and the thing is terrible for road noise. It already gets disappointing mileage so I'm not sure what they would have done, but I wish they'd found a way to reduce that.

For the Miata, that so called "noise" is actually the sweet singing sounds of a highly revved engine. ;)

Lunch, sorry if you've said before but what year/model Mazda do you have? Just curious.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Jul 2017, 14:33

dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 13:57
For the Miata, that so called "noise" is actually the sweet singing sounds of a highly revved engine. ;)
I've also been led to understand that many people pump Nickelback into their ears on purpose. YMMV
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Jul 2017, 14:48

Warren wrote:
dead_elvis wrote:
To be sure, a sports car is usually less comfortable than a sedan and a convertible is necessarily more noisy than a hardtop. But a Miata along the Pacific Coast Highway is several magnitudes of order more fun than a sedan, let alone a station wagon or suv with a turning radius of a school bus, and a fast sports car (which the Miata really isn't) is a hell of a lot more fun and safer on long stretches of empty western terrain than a family car.

I don't like crossovers that attempt to make utilitarian cars sporty or luxury cars either or vice versa. Obviously, there's a market for them and who am I to oppose the market, per se? But unless you've actually spent some time driving those different sorts of cars under those different sorts of conditions, you're just expressing contempt prior to investigation.

If the weather in Dallas was cooler, that is, if autumn and spring were longer, I'd drive the Miata whenever possible. No, it's not a family car, but damned few cars at any price handle better. It's a street legal go cart that's almost impossible to get to spin out of control. If you don't like go-carts, fine, I get it. And I sure as hell will never take the Miata across country as I did a decade ago, though I'd have been glad to do so in my twenties. But if all you care about is, to borrow from a different topic, vanilla driving, fine; stick with the missionary position in a Buick sedan.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Jul 2017, 16:28

dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 13:57
Warren wrote:
Noisy
I will say that the Mazda 3 reviews were right and the thing is terrible for road noise. It already gets disappointing mileage so I'm not sure what they would have done, but I wish they'd found a way to reduce that.

Lunch, sorry if you've said before but what year/model Mazda do you have? Just curious.
3s Grand Touring - it's the 2.5L with the i-ELOOP system that lets it turn off the alternator and run the electricals off of capacitors that it charges during breaking and coasting. With that, I'm getting about 26MPG in the city, which is impressive, given my rather lead-footed driving style. Right now the trip computer is claiming an average of 27.8, but I think I have a couple of freeway trips recently (although it also has two mountain driving trips, so dunno). I only got ~25 with the Cruze while I had it, and it's got an itty-bitty 1.4L turbo with hellacious turbo lag.

But gawd yes the road noise and harsh ride. That and the anemic cupholders are the two legit downsides.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Jul 2017, 10:43

While doing the financial housecleaning required by my wife's new job, I realized that my student loans, wife's car payment and day care costs all evaporate on/around the same year. This has led me to fantasize/search for 2+2 convertibles.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Jul 2017, 11:04

Mo wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 10:43
While doing the financial housecleaning required by my wife's new job, I realized that my student loans, wife's car payment and day care costs all evaporate on/around the same year. This has led me to fantasize/search for 2+2 convertibles.
Is the year like 2164?

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Jul 2017, 11:09

JasonL wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 11:04
Mo wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 10:43
Is the year like 2164?

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 31 Jul 2017, 13:03

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 14:48
And I sure as hell will never take the Miata across country as I did a decade ago, though I'd have been glad to do so in my twenties. But if all you care about is, to borrow from a different topic, vanilla driving, fine; stick with the missionary position in a Buick sedan.
The Miata is definitely hell on my back, I try to avoid drives longer than an hour. When we were shopping for it I tested a BMW Z3 (well, testing might be a bit of an overstatement. got to the used car lot, got in, turned the key and... wouldn't start. That was the end of that) and I was shocked at how comfortable it was, I never really thought of it as larger than a miata but it is quite.

I do actually look forward to the day when getting a Buick sedan will be age appropriate for us. I miss grandma's comfy floaty car.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Jul 2017, 13:47

Toyota / Lexus does floaty and road insulated better than anyone else.

Highway

Post by Highway » 31 Jul 2017, 13:57

dead_elvis wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 13:03
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
And I sure as hell will never take the Miata across country as I did a decade ago, though I'd have been glad to do so in my twenties. But if all you care about is, to borrow from a different topic, vanilla driving, fine; stick with the missionary position in a Buick sedan.
The Miata is definitely hell on my back, I try to avoid drives longer than an hour. When we were shopping for it I tested a BMW Z3 (well, testing might be a bit of an overstatement. got to the used car lot, got in, turned the key and... wouldn't start. That was the end of that) and I was shocked at how comfortable it was, I never really thought of it as larger than a miata but it is quite.

I do actually look forward to the day when getting a Buick sedan will be age appropriate for us. I miss grandma's comfy floaty car.
Unless you're getting there in the next 10 years, there might not be a Buick Sedan at that point (or maybe any sedans).

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Jul 2017, 14:23

Highway wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 13:57
dead_elvis wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 13:03
D.A. Ridgely wrote:

Unless you're getting there in the next 10 years, there might not be a Buick Sedan at that point (or maybe any sedans).
Or if there are Buick sedans, you have to import from China.

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Aug 2017, 16:26

What ever happened to the thing where people were going to add white noise to hybrids because they're a fucking menace to pedestrians?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Aug 2017, 16:28

I think prius guy radio singalong is supposed to cover all the white noise you need.

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Aug 2017, 16:30

Like I literally just got hit by a fucking car.

Not seriously but what the fuck.

(She was backing out of a parking space without looking and I had no idea the car was running.)

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 Aug 2017, 16:40

This is not solely an issue with hybrid and electric cars. Any current gas powered Mazda, Toyota, or Honda non-sportscar is quiet enough at idle and low speeds that you wouldn't know it was running either from behind the vehicle or ahead of it on a residential street. As for the warning sounds, that idea thankfully went away. There are very few ways that sounds like that could be effective without being ultimately troublesome, and the world really doesn't need more noise pollution.

While having a Nissan Leaf that sounds like a weird turbine car was kind of a neat idea, I think they've found it ultimately wasn't very effective. The Volt has a special loser horn to beep at pedestrians, but no automatic warning noise. My Honda Accord Hybrid doesn't have anything except the electric motor sound.

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Aug 2017, 16:47

Yeah I've noticed it being an issue a lot, doesn't surprise me that it's more than just hybrids. It really, really, really fucking sucks.

ETA I'm not talking about a "warning sound" but an all-the-time white noise sound so it sounds like a fucking car not a silent menace.