cars and how they get that way

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dhex

Re: cars and how they get that way

Post by dhex » 16 May 2017, 16:59

Guys my knees fit under the steering wheel let me have this.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 16 May 2017, 20:54

OK but you HAVE to go into the dealership, walk straight up to the first salescritter you see, and stare him in the eyes and quietly tell him/her, "I want you to sell me your soul."

Preferably have mrs dhex broadcast this over periscope.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 17 May 2017, 14:03

dhex wrote:Guys my knees fit under the steering wheel let me have this.
Kia got a bad rap for a long time. But the ex-wife's Rio went for nearly 200k with minimal problems, apart from a baffling tendency to eat spark plug wires. These days, the things come with 100k powertrain warranties, and are solid, if not flashy or fast, transportation.

Here's at least one car nut saying, "Go, then, and buy a soul!"
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 May 2017, 14:50

Number 6 wrote:
dhex wrote:Guys my knees fit under the steering wheel let me have this.
Kia got a bad rap for a long time. But the ex-wife's Rio went for nearly 200k with minimal problems, apart from a baffling tendency to eat spark plug wires. These days, the things come with 100k powertrain warranties, and are solid, if not flashy or fast, transportation.

Here's at least one car nut saying, "Go, then, and buy a soul!"
Ours didn't get a lot of miles before we handed the keys to the erstwhile surly teen, but the only problem we had was a bad coil. I could've replaced it myself for less than $100 but I decided to hand it off to a pro rather than inadvertently fuck something up and take a $100 repair to some pricier number.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 17 May 2017, 15:51

Aren't Kia and Hyundai the same chaebol?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 May 2017, 16:30

tr0g wrote:Aren't Kia and Hyundai the same chaebol?
Yes, but they're run quite a bit separately as companies, significantly more so than Ford and Lincoln/Mercury or the various branches of GM, at least as far as design.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 18 May 2017, 11:40

Miata battery drained deader than a doorbell couple days ago. Even after a few jumps running it longer each time, still won't charge enough to start on its own. Battery is new, trying to determine if it's just charging super-slowly due to it being a absorbent glass mat battery or if something is wrong with the alternator.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 May 2017, 12:30

Probably Something is wrong with the charging system. Did you find a reason that the battery died in the first place? Like you left the lights on? If not then something is definitely wrong with the charging system.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 18 May 2017, 16:45

Highway wrote: Did you find a reason that the battery died in the first place? Like you left the lights on?
A few months ago the car developed a less than charming quirk whereby casually closing the driver door doesn't quite get it shut all the way, it needs to be particularly firmly shut to get the interior light off. That's probably the culprit as it was sitting for probably a week or so since last driven. I suspect that deeply and totally drained it, which I know is bad for batteries.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 May 2017, 17:04

It may not be *as* bad for an AGM battery, they're supposed to be much more resistant to sulfation. AGM batteries are also supposed to charge faster, so that is contraindicated by the fact that you can't get a charge on it through driving. It may be the case that the car's charging system is weak, and has been adequate for keeping the battery charged, but is not really putting out enough juice to bring it back from the dead. And also even though they're resistant to sulfation at low charge, if it was super dead it might have experienced some anyway, but that should just make the total charge less.

As far as what running you've done on it after jumping it, has it been on the order of 5-10-15 minutes idling in the driveway, or more on the order of an hour to an hour-and-a-half drive at higher RPM? The lower time really won't do much, especially if the state of charge is floored on a lead-acid battery.

This might also be the kick in the teeth you need to do something about the door switch. :)

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 May 2017, 20:54

dead_elvis wrote:
Highway wrote: Did you find a reason that the battery died in the first place? Like you left the lights on?
A few months ago the car developed a less than charming quirk whereby casually closing the driver door doesn't quite get it shut all the way, it needs to be particularly firmly shut to get the interior light off. That's probably the culprit as it was sitting for probably a week or so since last driven. I suspect that deeply and totally drained it, which I know is bad for batteries.
My Miata suffers from the same problem, so I just keep the interior light on the permanent off setting.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 18 May 2017, 21:15

Yeah I'm thinking it must be something with the electronics; came to jump it this afternoon and got it started once; after accidentally turning it off and trying again it struggled to turn over as usual but then a click and everything is dead now, even with the donor car battery hooked up. Shit, at least before I could get it running to get it to the shop, now I'll have to get a tow to go 6 blocks (the miata isn't a heavy car, but it's uphill the whole way...)

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 20 May 2017, 00:08

Sounds like Chrysler has been pulling Volkswagen's tricks:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/busi ... &te=1&_r=0
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Jun 2017, 16:57

so kia dealer deathmatch has been going well. gonna make an appt for wednesday to go to a dealer and hopefully buy this shit. gonna first see if i can get 0% on 48 months and if they'll eat the taxes. credit score is about 800 so i feel ok on the 0% at least.

also it has the wuuuuuurst color scheme. (not actual car pictured)

the wife hates it so much already.

also got the most unusual dicking around at the (of course much closer) dealership in easton. wanted to see a specific used car, it happened to be bought between time i showed up to test drive and time i called (1 hour elapsed)

also finance guy had a diamond pinky ring. it was amazing. i'd also been very clear about not buying that day so...yeah.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Jun 2017, 18:25

Good luck, that's the thing that's been holding Kia back the most in the last 5 years, they're saddled with the shittiest dealers because of their market positioning. I'm sure it's not advice you in particular need, but never be afraid to walk out on a deal, even if it's embarrassing. And always be looking at that total price, not payments (although that isn't as much of an issue with 0% financing).

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Jun 2017, 18:38

Yeah I'm only talking to dealers willing to give me an otd price over email. No reason to fuck around otherwise.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 08 Jun 2017, 18:56

Ah, forgot about the thread; luckily turned out to be a bad cell in the battery, was still under warranty, expensive crisis averted.
D.A. Ridgely wrote: My Miata suffers from the same problem, so I just keep the interior light on the permanent off setting.
I have the light next to the glovebox set that way, but the reading lights under the rear view mirror only seem to have two settings-
on, and off-but-on-if-the-door-is-open. Odd.

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Jun 2017, 07:28

i bought my pokemon car yesterday. only took 90 minutes start to finish at the dealer. and it was entirely no bullshit.

considering the other kia dealership (the one that's half the distance away of fucking course) was so ridiculous, this was a pleasant surprise.

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Jul 2017, 13:02

the fuck.

ok so bought car on 14th.

made first payment this past tuesday and set up autopay via kia motors finance. payment was accepted.

got a letter today from kmf that said my loan application was denied at a credit score of 840 because such and such.

called the dealer, they said they received confirmation from kmf on the 22nd that the financing was approved. (straightforward 0% at 48 months)

the fuck?

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 01 Jul 2017, 23:17

Denied at 840?!?!
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Jul 2017, 10:53

Sandy wrote:Denied at 840?!?!
Kia doesn't know how to count that high for credit scores.

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 Jul 2017, 11:08

Mystery solved : dealer put in loan application first with my income at $60\month. 2nd app went through. Feel like dealer should have noticed when I called and asked them to review.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Jul 2017, 11:29

Yeah that made no sense. Glad it got sorted

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Jul 2017, 11:22

Volvo will begin producing electric motors on all its cars from 2019, becoming the first traditional automaker to forgo the combustion engine altogether.

The Swedish company, which has been making cars since 1927 and has in recent decades become famous for its station wagons and safety features, said Wednesday that the decision was prompted by the wishes of customers, describing it as "one of the most significant moves by any car maker." Electric cars are gaining attention from investors as well as drivers, with electric-car maker Tesla (TSLA) recently surpassing the market value of larger automakers, including Ford (F) and General Motors (GM).
http://www.cbsnews
.com/news/volvo-will-go-all-electric-by-2019-drop-traditional-engines/

Link has autoplay video with audio so fuck them
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Jul 2017, 10:49

Interesting for them because they have historically been hostile to mpg. They build heavy cars.