cars and how they get that way

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: cars and how they get that way

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Jul 2017, 18:14

WTF you guys.
Volvo will begin producing electric motors on all its cars from 2019, becoming the first traditional automaker to forgo the combustion engine altogether.
It also plans to supplement them with a range of gasoline and diesel plug-in hybrid and mild hybrid, or 48-volt, options on all models, which the company said would be one of the "broadest electrified car offerings of any car maker."
Diesel and gasoline hybrids are combustion engines. They may not be pure combustion-alone engines, but that's not forgoing the combustion engine altogether.

Also, I don't entirely get how 48-volt ICEs are in any way 'hybrid'. They're just regular engines with a different alternator and electrical system, aren't they?

You want Breitbart? THIS IS HOW YOU GET BREITBART.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Jul 2017, 18:52

With all the talk of AVs and the automated safety features that are becoming A Thing, it's worth pointing out that our low-speed auto-braking feature just failed to prevent a low-speed accident.

There's this super shitty intersection between us and downtown, where one of the only radial roads that cuts across the otherwise NS/EW greater-Denver street grid comes into town. The road feeds from the far southeast part of the metro area and ends right where you get into the truly pre-war part of Denver. It ends at a place where you can turn left at a light and go east, or proceed through a two-lane yield with no protected acceleration lane, where you have to look back 135 degrees over your shoulder at a three lane northbound through-way that gets a lot of traffic. I used to take that intersection all the time on my way to work.

It's super shitty and I always felt like it was unsafe. You can't keep your eye on the car in front of you and get a decent look at the oncoming traffic. And because TWO lanes go through the yield, your sight-line can be blocked by a car in the left-hand yield lane if they pull too far up.

It was with that exact intersection in mind that I decided that spending the extra bucks on the 'technology package' for our new car (Mazda 3) was a good idea.

Well, mrs lunch was going through that intersection, second-in-line to go. The person in front of her went, so she looked back over her shoulder, saw open road, turned back as she started to go and found that the previous car had stopped for some reason - just as she rear-ended it. It was a very low-speed crash - made no obvious damage to the victim car (an older-ish model SUV) but wrinkled the hood, grille, and driver's quarter-panel JUST badly enough that it catches the driver's door when you try to open it.

The automatic braking did nothing. I don't know if it doesn't work when you put on the accelerator, or what, but it didn't do a thing.

And while I never heard the lane-departure warning go off, and was going to ask about that at the next service appointment, I know the auto-brake works, because I would sometimes pull up towards the still-opening garage door fast enough to make it kick in.

Fortunately we've only got a $500 deductible so it won't be too much of a blow, and we've gone long enough without a claim* that they automatically gave us accident forgiveness, so we won't see an immediate spike in our insurance premiums, but damn I was hoping that technology would save us from this particular bit of bullshit from that particular intersection.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Jul 2017, 19:53

lunchstealer wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 18:52
With all the talk of AVs and the automated safety features that are becoming A Thing, it's worth pointing out that our low-speed auto-braking feature just failed to prevent a low-speed accident.

There's this super shitty intersection between us and downtown, where one of the only radial roads that cuts across the otherwise NS/EW greater-Denver street grid comes into town. The road feeds from the far southeast part of the metro area and ends right where you get into the truly pre-war part of Denver. It ends at a place where you can turn left at a light and go east, or proceed through a two-lane yield with no protected acceleration lane, where you have to look back 135 degrees over your shoulder at a three lane northbound through-way that gets a lot of traffic. I used to take that intersection all the time on my way to work.

It's super shitty and I always felt like it was unsafe. You can't keep your eye on the car in front of you and get a decent look at the oncoming traffic. And because TWO lanes go through the yield, your sight-line can be blocked by a car in the left-hand yield lane if they pull too far up.

It was with that exact intersection in mind that I decided that spending the extra bucks on the 'technology package' for our new car (Mazda 3) was a good idea.

Well, mrs lunch was going through that intersection, second-in-line to go. The person in front of her went, so she looked back over her shoulder, saw open road, turned back as she started to go and found that the previous car had stopped for some reason - just as she rear-ended it. It was a very low-speed crash - made no obvious damage to the victim car (an older-ish model SUV) but wrinkled the hood, grille, and driver's quarter-panel JUST badly enough that it catches the driver's door when you try to open it.

The automatic braking did nothing. I don't know if it doesn't work when you put on the accelerator, or what, but it didn't do a thing.

And while I never heard the lane-departure warning go off, and was going to ask about that at the next service appointment, I know the auto-brake works, because I would sometimes pull up towards the still-opening garage door fast enough to make it kick in.

Fortunately we've only got a $500 deductible so it won't be too much of a blow, and we've gone long enough without a claim* that they automatically gave us accident forgiveness, so we won't see an immediate spike in our insurance premiums, but damn I was hoping that technology would save us from this particular bit of bullshit from that particular intersection.
If her foot was on the brake at all, then I think that brake assist isn't going to do anything. Like if she was letting off but still on it waiting to look forward again.

And just so you know, the Lane Departure Warning only activates over 44 MPH on the Mazda. And I know that companies are working on making lane-departure less annoying to drivers. It's by far the least popular of these systems, due to lots of false alarms and the perception that it's criticizing your driving. So it might be a lot less sensitive for that reason.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 09 Jul 2017, 23:57

This has *got* to be some sort of meta-trolling-joke. I mean *no one* could be this idiotic.

(tl;dr: he's selling his car because the rear tires need replacing)
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 Jul 2017, 00:09

Oh, people can be that idiotic. If he mashes the accelerator so much that he spins the tires because the traction control's not working, or can't manage to drive a RWD car in the rain (somehow a lot of people with BMWs and Porsches manage it), he's probably a gigantic idiot. And never mind the "treads" showing, he also doesn't know to rotate tires. Yep, gigantic idiot.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 Jul 2017, 00:29

Highway wrote:
10 Jul 2017, 00:09
Oh, people can be that idiotic. If he mashes the accelerator so much that he spins the tires because the traction control's not working, or can't manage to drive a RWD car in the rain (somehow a lot of people with BMWs and Porsches manage it), he's probably a gigantic idiot. And never mind the "treads" showing, he also doesn't know to rotate tires. Yep, gigantic idiot.
Rotating the tires is easy. You press the gas pedal and then the tires rotate. That's sort of the whole point of a car.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 10 Jul 2017, 00:37

Jadagul wrote:
10 Jul 2017, 00:29
Highway wrote:
Rotating the tires is easy. You press the gas pedal and then the tires rotate. That's sort of the whole point of a car.
Literal LOL.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Jul 2017, 00:43

Highway wrote:
A gigantic idiot with a shitload of money.
For all it's glories, civilization has a lot to answer for.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 10 Jul 2017, 09:21

Probably an en rund around mpg, that sai my 1998 S70 gets pretty good mileage for a car in its class (close to 24 on an open freeway).

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 18 Jul 2017, 00:39

Spotted this beauty today:

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Jul 2017, 17:10

I always see a new critter when I make the drive up Mount Evans.

Didn't expect this one, though:

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Jul 2017, 17:13

The day before I was following this guy through Denver.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 27 Jul 2017, 17:58

lunchstealer wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 17:13

Y THO
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Highway

Post by Highway » 27 Jul 2017, 19:40

lunchstealer wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 17:10

I see now what the 2005 Mustang retro design was REALLY based on...

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Jul 2017, 03:29

Sandy wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 17:13

Y THO
Because a GT with legit cargo space is a good thing, and putting Ferrari branding on an SUV would be a shutty thing, so the answer is a shooting brake.

This might be a better camera angle to show why I like the concept.

Highway

Post by Highway » 28 Jul 2017, 08:29

"Shooting Brakes" are horrible abominations. I can't see why some people really like them. Barf.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Jul 2017, 09:30

I like athletic wagonny things like sportier crossovers but I think it gets a bit goofy when you have no ground clearance. I like the X1 quite a bit but I wouldn't want it lower.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 28 Jul 2017, 11:03

lunchstealer wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 03:29

Because a GT with legit cargo space is a good thing,
I thought the whole point of a high end sports car is to brag to the world that you have enough money that you can afford to by single-purpose vehicles.

Something I remember from a Garrison Keillor story: kid moves away from Lake Wobegon to the big city, comes back to visit driving a sporty two seater convertible. The farmers all gather around to gawk and take a gander at it and one remarks, "well what do you do when you gotta haul something?"
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Jul 2017, 14:12

dead_elvis wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 11:03
lunchstealer wrote:

I thought the whole point of a high end sports car is to brag to the world that you have enough money that you can afford to by single-purpose vehicles.

Something I remember from a Garrison Keillor story: kid moves away from Lake Wobegon to the big city, comes back to visit driving a sporty two seater convertible. The farmers all gather around to gawk and take a gander at it and one remarks, "well what do you do when you gotta haul something?"
I agree on the idea that these should be specialty cars, but a proper grand tourer is a specific type of sports car aimed at longer drives, especially driving tours. The whole point is that it's a legitimate sports car but tuned towards comfort and luxury rather than track burning speed. It's what you want when you set out to drive the entire length of the PCH, but not if you want to set a personal-best time at Laguna Seca. You want two different Ferraris to do those two different things.

You don't want or need ground clearance, because you're not going to be taking it off road. It's not an SUV, crossover, or rally car.

I like them, but I've pretty much owned nothing but 'wagons, with the exception of a two year stint in a Volvo coupe, and my current car which is a hatchback (because the two remaining wagons in my preferred price segment were unsuitable for one reason or another).

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Jul 2017, 14:39

Highway wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 19:40
lunchstealer wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 17:10

I see now what the 2005 Mustang retro design was REALLY based on...
Actually the erstwhile surly teen was driving, and saw it in the rear view and said, "Hey, is that an Aston Martin back there?" and craning over my shoulder to see, I thought it was either one of those '05-era retros with a custom hood, or one of these, which... Aston couldn't have been copying a Mustang, could they?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 860%29.jpg

Highway

Post by Highway » 28 Jul 2017, 15:04

I dunno, almost looks more like this one:

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jul 2017, 01:16

dead_elvis wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 11:03
lunchstealer wrote:

The whole point of every sports car and "sports" car, is to compensate for a small penis.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 29 Jul 2017, 11:10

Highway wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 15:04
I don't care that it apparently sold well, that design always pissed me off. Or maybe what annoys me is that it *did* sell well so I had to see it everywhere. All they had to do was not call it Mustang and I wouldn't have cared.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Jul 2017, 18:41

dead_elvis wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 11:10
Highway wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 15:04
I don't care that it apparently sold well, that design always pissed me off. Or maybe what annoys me is that it *did* sell well so I had to see it everywhere. All they had to do was not call it Mustang and I wouldn't have cared.
Eh, "Maverick" is Mustang lite for people who couldn't afford to put gas in an American engine with any power at all. That bothers me less than the '70s era Thunderbird, which.... ew.

But American car design in the '70s was almost uniformly terrible. Chrysler did least bad, I think (the last time that can be said).

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 29 Jul 2017, 23:23

lunchstealer wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 18:41
But American car design in the '70s was almost uniformly terrible.
Hard to disagree with that, except I have a weak spot for the early 70s Buick Riviera:
Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 11.19.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 11.19.27 PM.png (619.9 KiB) Viewed 544 times
501331-1000-0@2x.jpg
501331-1000-0@2x.jpg (229.22 KiB) Viewed 544 times
Guy I know restored one, really fine specimen of the era.