cars and how they get that way

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: cars and how they get that way

Post by Highway » 24 Aug 2017, 17:40

No, the problem is that it really wouldn't help much. If every car used a growler then in an area like a parking lot, you'd be hard pressed to figure out that it's coming from the car next to you pulling out of the spot, rather than the one coming behind you in the aisle, versus the one an aisle over. If sounds like that become ubiquitous, then they lose effectiveness.

But this is one of the reasons for mandating backup cameras in all vehicles. Personally I think they should mandate the wide view as the default, not the 'standard' can't-see-to-the-sides-of-the-vehicle one, but that's preference. Plus, as more vehicles become more aware of their surroundings, you'll get more driver warnings for objects behind.

I don't know if I'd mind more of the Leaf spaceship sounds, but noone else was going to do that. And I think it did something else in Reverse. Nothing is as bad as the early Gen 2 Prius internal backup beeping, tho.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Aug 2017, 17:54

Highway wrote:
24 Aug 2017, 17:40
No, the problem is that it really wouldn't help much. If every car used a growler then in an area like a parking lot, you'd be hard pressed to figure out that it's coming from the car next to you pulling out of the spot, rather than the one coming behind you in the aisle, versus the one an aisle over. If sounds like that become ubiquitous, then they lose effectiveness.
I don't understand this. Why would it be different than traditional engine noise in this respect?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 24 Aug 2017, 21:10

nicole wrote:What ever happened to the thing where people were going to add white noise to hybrids because they're a fucking menace to pedestrians?
IIRC, it's required next year. Mine seems to make a whine in pitch with the speed.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Aug 2017, 21:24

I just roll down my windows so people outside can hear the reverse beeping. And I can hear someone going "Oh shit!" or whatever.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Aug 2017, 07:32

It's weird to see how much I was relying on it for. The big one is actually crossing the street. If I'm running or walking the dog or just walking around, and see a car approaching a stop sign as I'm starting to cross, I see and hear it slow down and that's all normal. But then as I'm crossing, just as the car disappears from my field of vision, it also goes silent and disappears that way as well, and I start to feel nervous and look over my shoulder to see if it's actually stopping.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 05 Oct 2017, 14:28

I find it curious that Toyota and Nissan have given up on the compact/mid-size 4x4 SUV market by discontinuing the FJ Cruiser and Xterra in the last 2 years. Both the 4Runner and Pathfinder have grown into monstrous road machines that happen to have a 4x4 drive train, and definitely aren't targeted at anyone who wants to do much off-pavement driving.

Unless I'm missing someone, that's leaving most of the off-road SUV market to Jeep. And nothing says backcountry reliability like a Fiat Chrysler product...
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Oct 2017, 14:39

There's always the Tata Land Rover!

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Oct 2017, 15:14

Jeep is about as reliable as Fiat Chrysler gets.

But no, you're not missing anything. There's no market there, besides what Jeep has already sewed up. All those people who had BoF 4x4s realized that they never went off-road, so they've gone with the unibody SUV / CUV types now to get their "my car is bigger than yours" fix.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Oct 2017, 15:21

Highway wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 15:14
Jeep is about as reliable as Fiat Chrysler gets.

But no, you're not missing anything. There's no market there, besides what Jeep has already sewed up. All those people who had BoF 4x4s realized that they never went off-road, so they've gone with the unibody SUV / CUV types now to get their "my car is bigger than yours" fix.
Huh. There are plenty of FJ whatsits on the road around here, but Denver is an outlier on a lot of fronts.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 05 Oct 2017, 16:32

lunchstealer wrote: Huh. There are plenty of FJ whatsits on the road around here, but Denver is an outlier on a lot of fronts.
Yeah, they're everywhere in Phoenix and big with off-road people, but I guess it's a mountain west thing. Now that I look, the sales numbers for the last 3 years of the model are pretty bad. Same with the Xterra.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Oct 2017, 16:48

I figure Toyota got tired of replacing windshields. I actually thought they killed the FJ Cruiser a few years ago when they made that special edition that only came in olive drab, but was the only one you could get that had the same color roof as the sides.

JD

Post by JD » 27 Nov 2017, 12:38

I just discovered and signed up for ReachNow, which is a car-sharing service similar to Car2Go, because they were offering a membership fee waiver if you signed up at their promotional booth. Haven't actually tried it yet, but we'll see how it goes. They offer rather nicer vehicles than Car2Go's clown cars (BMW 3s and Mini Cooper and Clubmans) but there are some very negative reviews about their smartphone app and the general reliability of the service.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 01 Dec 2017, 19:37

This is just hilariously bad anyway ("When ELO starts rockin', only a 455 engine under the hood will be able to keep up"), but the highlighted paragraph gave me a good chuckle. I'm no Ken "I was *there*, man" Schultz, but I'm pretty sure the Trans Am was culturally the antithesis of punk.
new doc 2017-11-30 10.33.44.jpg
new doc 2017-11-30 10.33.44.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 724 times
I'm thinking an econoline van would be a far more appropriate pick:
i296625.jpg
i296625.jpg (41.88 KiB) Viewed 724 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Highway

Post by Highway » 01 Dec 2017, 22:39

Yeah, the Trans Am is all establishment poser, certainly not punk. And I'm a middlin' ELO fan, and I can't think of anything that would be particularly "rockin' " as far as driving music...

JD

Post by JD » 22 Dec 2017, 12:34

A skeptical look at the progress towards autonomous vehicles: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/12/ ... rless-cars
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Dec 2017, 13:17

That didn't seem too skeptical apart from the headline and the "It could be decades before we're at Level 5 autonomy". But I'm one of the people who think that AV's would essentially take over, especially in urban settings at Level 4.

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Jan 2018, 13:10

Dude does the Cannonball Run in the Tesla 3. It was interesting, but it really feels like this guy is willing to overlook some glaring flaws. Like here's a quote on the build quality after dismissing "panel gaps sticklers".
My only complaint may or may not be a design flaw: sitting on either side of the car, cold air bled onto my legs from a gap somewhere around the front edge of the front door
Seems like kind a of a big deal for a $55K car.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 Jan 2018, 15:28

My high level impression is Teslas are cars people act like they love but don't actually love.

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Jan 2018, 15:40

I for one, look forward to the autonomous vehicle version of the Tide Pod challenge.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Jan 2018, 17:35

Mo wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 15:40
I for one, look forward to the autonomous vehicle version of the Tide Pod challenge.
OK, so trolley problems are passe when it comes to autonomous cars.

What about zeroth law problems, to steal from Asimov? Should self-driving cars identify idiots like this guy and deliberately run them over to discourage other people from doing something so stupid, and so protect the public? :D
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 16 Jan 2018, 20:53

Mo wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 15:40
Some idiot is going to throw themself in the path of an oncoming autonomous vehicle because they believe the sensors and safety systems embedded within will prevent them from getting run over. It sounds ludicrous, but believe me: it will happen.
Uh, it doesn't sound ludicrous, because right now, people walk out in front of cars all the damn time, with the understanding that they are making you stop. I'd say it happens to me at least 3 or 4 times a year. Someone just starts walking out where they don't have the right of way, and if I act impatient to let them know that wasn't cool, they'll glare menacingly and/or start ranting. They *know* people are going to stop, and they abuse that. It's not something new and futuristic at all.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Jan 2018, 20:55

The article's point is that people would be doing this on purpose, to make the cars stop for them, basically meatspace trolling, which is really really dumb. That's different from accidentally stepping out in front of a bus.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 16 Jan 2018, 21:53

It happens to me about 3 to 4 times a week that a car doesn't yield, or does so at the last minute, the right of way to me as a pedestrian in a crosswalk
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 16 Jan 2018, 22:38

One of the cool things about moving out to California from New Orleans for me is that out here, cars will stop for you if you're in the street.

One of my friends who moved out to the Bay apparently made a game for a couple of years for how cool it was that if he stepped into the street, cars would stop and let him cross.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 17 Jan 2018, 04:46

Mo wrote:The article's point is that people would be doing this on purpose, to make the cars stop for them, basically meatspace trolling, which is really really dumb. That's different from accidentally stepping out in front of a bus.
Someone hasn’t driven in the right neighborhoods or you would have encountered that long before ABS were even a thing.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren