cars and how they get that way

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely

Re: cars and how they get that way

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Jun 2019, 14:37

2001 Mazda Miata Project:

Bought new, currently with 40k miles on it, I'm in the process (roughly midway through) of restoring it inside and out. In fact, it's in the shop this very minute for all of the mechanical upgrades required for the final mechanical work: a supercharger.

As you can see, the exterior is done: repainted (original color) and new soft top, plus the tires are fairly new. The original interior is shot, however, through rain damage and neglect over the years and needs new seat upholstery and carpeting. Also, I'll probably upgrade the original Bose sound system to a double-din touch screen to permit me to Bluetooth stream music from my phone, make and receive calls and navigate. Finally, when the paint is good and cured, I'll install a luggage rack over the trunk.

The ultimate goal is a road-trip worthy car I can take, say, to drive the Pacific Coast Highway. I think the NB is still the most attractive MX-5 Mazda has ever produced, and I'm viewing the restoration as a poor man's Lotus or Porsche. When I bought it in 2000, it was fully loaded w/ a 1.8L in-line 4 cyl. engine, 6 speed manual transmission, anti-lock breaks (newly offered then) and a stiffer, 'racing' suspension. That last remains an unfixable problem, though. At my age, 300 miles in a day is more than enough for me to feel, to borrow from James Bond, both shaken and stirred. So that road trip, if it ever happens, is going to be nice and leisurely.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 29 Jun 2019, 21:17

Sweet! Except for your heresy regarding the NB, as it is obviously fact that the NA is the most attractive evar. Flip up lights or gtfo ;)

And yeah a long road trip would be rough. My back can’t take more than a couple hours in our Miata.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 29 Jun 2019, 21:45

Very nice, DAR. I've only driven an NB, but it was one of the sweetest handling cars I've encountered. Only the mid-engined cars I've driven felt better. And the transmission is a work of art.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Aug 2019, 13:32

Old-school luggage rack installed; exterior restoration is essentially complete!!!

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Aug 2019, 13:52

Where's the big key you wind it up with?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 08 Aug 2019, 16:26

Gas pedal, more like break pedal, right...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lianeyvkof ... -happened/
Beep boop, you silly humans.

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 08 Aug 2019, 16:42

dead_elvis wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 21:17
Flip up lights or gtfo ;)
As the former owner/driver of a Ford Probe, I take issue with this. They look cool until the mechanism fails, at which point your car either looks like it's drunk or flirting all the time. Not worth it.
Perhaps the greatest loss of all is that we may never again live in a world free of hyperbole. --JasonL

Jake

Post by Jake » 08 Aug 2019, 17:15

Wixenstyx wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 16:42
dead_elvis wrote:
As the former owner/driver of a Ford Probe, I take issue with this. They look cool until the mechanism fails, at which point your car either looks like it's drunk or flirting all the time. Not worth it.
Drunk and flirting seems like a good way to make sure your car is popular, at least.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Aug 2019, 17:55

Ford Probing boundaries, amirite?

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Aug 2019, 18:02

#MiataToo
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Aug 2019, 19:42

So remember the car you all helped me repair last year? 297k this week. Would Honda be interested in taking it back to inspect if I get above 300k so you think?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Aug 2019, 20:38

Wixenstyx wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 16:42
dead_elvis wrote:
This. When the Corvette first came out with flip-up lids, it was cool. By the time Ford Probes had them, it was all over. The biggest design flaw with the NA Miata was that it was designed to look cute. Roadsters aren't supposed to be cute. Frivolous, yes, but not cute. The second biggest flaw was the flip-up lights.
So remember the car you all helped me repair last year? 297k this week. Would Honda be interested in taking it back to inspect if I get above 300k so you think?
No. Hondas are routinely logging 400 to 500k miles these days. My wife treats automobiles like Trump treats immigrants and her Honda still has well over 200k. Kept in reasonably good repair and oil changed regularly, they're damned close to bulletproof.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Aug 2019, 13:57

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 20:38
No. Hondas are routinely logging 400 to 500k miles these days. My wife treats automobiles like Trump treats immigrants and her Honda still has well over 200k. Kept in reasonably good repair and oil changed regularly, they're damned close to bulletproof.
I enjoy the threads on reddit from /justrolledintotheshop where they take apart Honda engines with 300k miles and the engines look brand new. Just amazing.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 Aug 2019, 08:38

Warren wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 18:02
#MiataToo
Golf clap.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex