cars and how they get that way

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: cars and how they get that way

Post by Warren » 11 Sep 2018, 15:41

JD wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 12:46
Jaguar Land Rover feels like the way to get people to trust and like self-driving cars is to put big googly eyes on the cars. Not the worst idea ever, I guess, just, I dunno, maybe they should have gone with something less creepy and leering.

If the reflection made it look like it was smiling instead of frowning, and the eye lids weren't so droopy, everyone would love it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Sep 2018, 16:31

JD wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 12:46
Jaguar Land Rover feels like the way to get people to trust and like self-driving cars is to put big googly eyes on the cars. Not the worst idea ever, I guess, just, I dunno, maybe they should have gone with something less creepy and leering.

Works in other circumstances:

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 11 Sep 2018, 16:41

Warren wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 15:41
If the reflection made it look like it was smiling instead of frowning, and the eye lids weren't so droopy, everyone would love it.
Hm, maybe. People did seem to like the Waymo Firefly for being cute, although some Real Car Guys did find it depressing. Personally I found the idea of riding in something as self-consciously cute as the Firefly kind of...demeaningly cute? Like being forced to wear clown shoes and a baby bonnet while going about your business. But then, I have grown to tolerate driving the Smart car, although I would never actually own one.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Sep 2018, 17:20

You drive a Smart? Zipcar rentals?

I think the idea of cute is just fine, you just have to let the Japanese and Koreans do it. JLR is not going to be my go-to for thinking up 'cute' ever. Especially with something that has all the charm of a propane forklift.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Sep 2018, 17:26

lol, when I looked at that at work on my phone, I didn't see the video. The car is totally checking out her ass as she walks by. That's just so bad. They should have put that into testing, saw that it did that, and be all "Nope, hold on, we gotta change that." Not put out a video of that. Just what the world needs, every autonomous vehicle staring at your ass as you walk by.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 11 Sep 2018, 17:46

Highway wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 17:20

Car2Go. Zipcar actually doesn't do Smarts, at least around here. I'm not crazy about the Smart cars (I like that the tiny size lets you park them almost anywhere; I hate that the tiny size means they're almost useless for any kind of cargo at all) or certain aspects of the Car2Go service (the cars are almost invariably filthy and in poor maintenance) but the one-way nature of the trips works a lot better for most of what I need to do than the round-trip nature of Zipcar rentals. If I'm going to the grocery store, I may not even need a car to get there, since I could walk or bike, but I can get one just for the return trip. Or if I'm coming home from some random corner of the city late at night, a one-way trip is all I need.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Sep 2018, 18:07

Highway wrote:

I think the idea of cute is just fine, you just have to let the Japanese and Koreans do it. JLR is not going to be my go-to for thinking up 'cute' ever. Especially with something that has all the charm of a propane forklift.
The Italians can do cute okay, too. The 500 is adorbs, to the point where I couldn't bring myself to drive a not-Abarth version just for body-insecurity.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Sep 2018, 20:46

lunchstealer wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 18:07
Highway wrote:

The Italians can do cute okay, too. The 500 is adorbs, to the point where I couldn't bring myself to drive a not-Abarth version just for body-insecurity.
That's not cute now. That's cute then. Italians don't do cute now, unless they copy something from 50 years ago. I'm sure you've seen current Maseratis...

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Sep 2018, 23:11

lunchstealer wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 18:07
Highway wrote:

Oh um no. It's toy like but on a scale from baby gnu to Baby Groot, it's only a baby walrus. Baby manatee at best.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 19 Sep 2018, 11:05

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 19 Sep 2018, 12:33

You know the profit margins in SUVs are large when Ferrari, Bentley, Maserati, and Lamborghini are all jumping on board.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Sep 2018, 13:10

It's not just profit margin, it's volume. Porsche's Cayenne has always been the highest selling vehicle they make, from the minute they started selling them. SUVs are what lots of people want to buy.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 19 Sep 2018, 13:19

I dimly recall SUVs have different rules regarding safety and emissions as well, so you don't have to put as much engineering into meeting the standards. But that may have changed.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Sep 2018, 14:46

I think a lot of the differences between cars and light trucks as far as safety standards and emissions have gone away. And with so much of the design standards for safety being driven by IIHS and with SUVs being such a large and growing segment of the market, there is lag between car and truck design, but not really differences in policy.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 19 Sep 2018, 16:06

Highway wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 13:10
It's not just profit margin, it's volume. Porsche's Cayenne has always been the highest selling vehicle they make, from the minute they started selling them. SUVs are what lots of people want to buy.
That's proof we live in a horrible simulation: people are going to Porsche dealerships and buying an SUV rather than a Cayman GTS.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 19 Sep 2018, 17:40

Andrew wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 16:06
Highway wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 13:10
That's proof we live in a horrible simulation: people are going to Porsche dealerships and buying an Volkswagen SUV rather than a Cayman GTS.
FTFY.

I mean yeah it's got a Porsche specific engine and gearbox, stiffer suspension and a slightly different profile but it's still a Touareg.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Sep 2018, 19:32

The Ferrari concept (as I suppose it is until they actually start mass-producing it) is pretty gorgeous-looking for an SUV.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 28 Sep 2018, 16:27