Music for the Masses

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dbcooper

Re: Music for the Masses

Post by dbcooper »

Can were so f'ing good:

https://youtu.be/Dm4JQvNMeU4
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Space_Opera_cover_copy_465_465_int.jpg
Space_Opera_cover_copy_465_465_int.jpg (124.97 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
Is Space Opera a known band? Apologies if this isn't as obscure as I think it is, but I came across this album on the always-excellent Dangerous Minds blog and I was nicely surprised.

I think he's right that these are the tracks to listen to:

Holy River

Over and Over

Although I think he oversells by a little bit the rest of the album (some great stuff, some not so much), it's a really nice relic of the precambrian explosion that was the 60s-early 70s.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Did I post the Michael Nesmith video last week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi0b8tcCQSE
Warren

Post by Warren »

dbcooper wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 14:53 Did I post the Michael Nesmith video last week?

Why would you?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Warren wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 15:35
dbcooper wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 14:53 Did I post the Michael Nesmith video last week?

Why would you?
Because that song is really good.
JD

Post by JD »

An article about music for the masses: back in 1982, a young Indian woman released the album Disco Jazz, and it pretty much immediately sank out of sight. She never released another album, and that was it for decades. But then vinyl hunters discovered it, a Swedish DJ put it in one of his sets, a recording made it to Facebook and then to Youtube, and the whole thing blew up.

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/how-a-lo ... algorithm/
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 11:40 An article about music for the masses: back in 1982, a young Indian woman released the album Disco Jazz, and it pretty much immediately sank out of sight. She never released another album, and that was it for decades. But then vinyl hunters discovered it, a Swedish DJ put it in one of his sets, a recording made it to Facebook and then to Youtube, and the whole thing blew up.

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/how-a-lo ... algorithm/
There's a ton of stories like that. Stuff that was recorded pre-napster but never got played on the radio, is being dug out and disseminated on the innerwebs. I've even heard that some bands that broke up decades ago have reformed and are successfully touring.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I learned yesterday that the Rolling Stones will be playing in Dallas in late May and I'm considering buying tickets. After all, who knows how many more decades they'll keep touring?
Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 17:16 I learned yesterday that the Rolling Stones will be playing in Dallas in late May and I'm considering buying tickets. After all, who knows how many more decades they'll keep touring?
If you go, please video of Mick leaning on his walker while singing Satisfaction.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

@dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

I've been digging The Spacelords recently. They're a German Heavy Psychedelic Space Rock band. Wait don't say no right away! But seriously they have a cool vibe to them. Nice background music groove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R29Pzal2gF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0CADX05dpY
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Painboy wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 19:59 I've been digging The Spacelords recently. They're a German Heavy Psychedelic Space Rock band. Wait don't say no right away! But seriously they have a cool vibe to them. Nice background music groove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R29Pzal2gF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0CADX05dpY
That's pretty good as that stuff goes, although I voluntarily listen to Ozric Tentacles so my judgement is suspect.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

I have adopted a new signature song
Baby Got Back - Jonathan Coulton
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Listening to Timecode by Justus Kohnke in a bar in Australia, and holy shit that track is still great.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Are The National kind of a second rate New York version of Tindersticks?
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

It doesn't surprise me that some people here had not heard of John Prine before. He had a modest but loyal fan base and was considered, like Leonard Cohen, a songwriter's songwriter. However, he was somewhat marginalized as a country musician or, not much better, a Roots / Americana musician.

Anyway, if you wanted to spend a half hour or so listening to streams of his songs, here are some of his best / best known, one or two of which you'll probably go "Oh, he wrote that?"

"Sam Stone" ("There's a hole in daddy's arm where the money goes")
"Your Flag Decal Won't Get You into Heaven Anymore"
"Illegal Smile"
"Angel From Montgomery" (Probably his most covered song.)
"Hello In There"
"Christmas in Prison"
"Dear Abby"
"Please Don't Bury Me"
"That's the Way That the World Goes 'Round"
"Speed of the Sound of Loneliness"
"Paradise"
"Crazy as a Loon"
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I’m surprised they didn’t seem to mention him on Ken Burn’s Country music documentary, because artists that influenced other artists was a good deal of that series’ bread and butter.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 14:42 I’m surprised they didn’t seem to mention him on Ken Burn’s Country music documentary, because artists that influenced other artists was a good deal of that series’ bread and butter.
Burns really dropped the ball on country comedy. It's the one area where country music really distinguishes itself. It deserved an entire hour and Ken barely mentions it in passing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

This is more music by the masses. A comedy writer crowdsourced the completion of Sufjan Stevens' abandoned 50 States project. Some of them are pretty decent. No love for Colorado yet.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

So am I officially the only person who doesn't like Fiona Apple's new album?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman