Music for the Masses

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: Music for the Masses

Post by JD »

Hugh Akston wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 13:07
dbcooper wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 13:00
Youtube's algorithm is completely shit now. Absolute dog shit. It just suggests other commercially viable stuff you've listened to. It used to be good.
Do you use Pandora? Their algorithm is pretty good.
Spotify, too - I've found a lot of good stuff through their "Discover Weekly" personalized playlist.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JD wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 13:18
Hugh Akston wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 13:07
dbcooper wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 13:00
Youtube's algorithm is completely shit now. Absolute dog shit. It just suggests other commercially viable stuff you've listened to. It used to be good.
Do you use Pandora? Their algorithm is pretty good.
Spotify, too - I've found a lot of good stuff through their "Discover Weekly" personalized playlist.
I was on Spotify for six months and gave up on it because I fed it my entire music library and it never recommended a good song, and it lacks any means to communicate that you like this song or don't like that one.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JD

Post by JD »

Hugh Akston wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 13:22
I was on Spotify for six months and gave up on it because I fed it my entire music library and it never recommended a good song, and it lacks any means to communicate that you like this song or don't like that one.
They may have changed the interface since you were on it, but it certainly has those means now. Note the ❤︎ and 🚫icons.
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 1.32.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 1.32.10 PM.png (28.13 KiB) Viewed 849 times
I'm less certain about the library stuff, but I have a feeling it works better if you interact with Spotify content itself (liking and disliking songs, adding songs to playlists, playing streaming music instead of local); I don't know if it does any analysis of your local files.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

That is definitely a UI change. But I'll stick with Pandora, thanks.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

A short documentary on Berlin’s Take my breath away and Giorgio Moroder:

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

I'm so thirsty for this Canadian bird who posts balearic mixes on youtube.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag, mofo ...

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

dbcooper wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 13:50
Slip inside a sleeping bag, mofo ...
Pinch harmonic time?

Roy Buchanan - Green Onions (live 1985)
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

A lot, or most, heavy metal albums sound like garbage on good equipment. Slayer's South of Heaven is both heavy and crisp as fuck. Comes through the Sennheisser HD 650 test with aplomb.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I was reading about the upcoming Cream box set (their last 4 concerts from 1968, all professionally recorded), and someone mentioned the existence of this bootleg:

Cream at the Grande Ballroom, Detroit, Michigan on 10/15/1967

It's a bootleg (unclear whether it's an audience recording or PA mix), so it's far from perfect, but holy shit. It almost sounds like a different band from their officially released live recordings. Clapton gets really out there at times--by far the most I've ever heard him do. He borders on atonal and free meter at some points with the amount of feedback, distortion, sustain, and wah-wah work he gets going. "NSU" and "Spoonful" are highlights, but the whole thing is great.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I mean, I liked "Radioactive", and "Stressed Out" and "Shut Up and Dance" were decent, but yeesh.

Who's got anything like a top 10 for 2010-2019?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Top songs list are meaningless in 2020. Have been for quite a while. It's impossible to track music consumption anymore. Album sales and air play were once solid metrics. But people don't pay for records anymore, nor do they primarily listen to one channel. People hop between Pandora, Sound Cloud, YouTube, etc. etc. with great promiscuity.
It’s not that I don’t have a voice it’s that everyone else is living wrong and I don’t get a veto. - JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Warren wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 10:03
Top songs list are meaningless in 2020.
Sure, in terms of media or sales metrics. A critic or random blogger's personal list would be much more meaningful, or even "the songs with the most people tweeting that they love it" (at which point you can't use that measure anymore, of course, but hey).
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Music for air travel:

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

93 Ways to Hear Alison Moyet’s Laugh

Marke B. on how the Yazoo singer’s laugh traveled a million dancefloor miles over 36 years

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Warren

Post by Warren »

Ah db. We're using a new YouTube link. There was a memo. So if you could just use the new link format that would be greaaaaaat. I'll get you a copy of the memo.
It’s not that I don’t have a voice it’s that everyone else is living wrong and I don’t get a veto. - JasonL

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

dbcooper wrote:
24 Apr 2014, 20:35
Andrew, did you listen to Gene Clark's No Other?
In case you missed it, 4AD released a new deluxe version of No Other. Instead of the demo versions by Clark on acoustic guitar that were the bonus material on the prior CD (which I enjoyed), there are lots of alternative versions of the songs. Some of the alternatives are quite good, and it's nice to hear the band that was under the overdubbed strings and backup singers.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Andrew wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 20:45
dbcooper wrote:
In case you missed it, 4AD released a new deluxe version of No Other. Instead of the demo versions by Clark on acoustic guitar that were the bonus material on the prior CD (which I enjoyed), there are lots of alternative versions of the songs. Some of the alternatives are quite good, and it's nice to hear the band that was under the overdubbed strings and backup singers.
It occurs to me that... why didn't we as a nation just excise Neil Young in favor of Gene Clark?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Andrew wrote:
dbcooper wrote:
Thanks Man, gonna check it out.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

lunchstealer wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 21:11
Andrew wrote:
dbcooper wrote:
It occurs to me that... why didn't we as a nation just excise Neil Young in favor of Gene Clark?
Better yet, why didn't we excise David Crosby in favor of Gene Clark?

Warren

Post by Warren »

Andrew wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 09:02
lunchstealer wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 21:11
Andrew wrote:
dbcooper wrote:
Better yet, why didn't we excise David Crosby in favor of Gene Clark?
I'm not exactly sure what "excise Tom in favor of Dick" means, but Neil Young aged like wine and David Crosby aged like fish. Gene Clark aged like newspaper.