Music for the Masses

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Music for the Masses

Post by JasonL » 01 Apr 2019, 11:23

Bon Iver is an act that makes a lot more sense live than I would have thought. I took the wife on the premise that she likes Skinny Love and Holocene, knowing that the stuff from 22, A Million is ... not that sound exactly. She loved it, all the production and weird stuff on those tracks. It was a great show. Would do again.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 May 2019, 10:38

Just got around to these. Thanks! I know literal nothing about the coldwave bands. I'm a hyuge xymox guy tho.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 May 2019, 11:31

Saw The Mountain Goats last night. Band was good, the crowd was fcking terrible for some reason. Nobody would STFU, like to a crazy extent. Two 30 somethings were talking shit about the show the whole time and actually tried to start a fight.

I guess in my head that band was sort of a fans band - that people who would buy tickets would be pretty into them for the most part with only a few people being casuals. I'm not a super deep cuts on the most current albums guy, and the new album just dropped so I didn't know what to expect, but ... not that audience experience.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 May 2019, 16:36

Yeah, they're a fans' band usually. I've been to a handful of shows. Crowd singing along to lots of different songs, even deeper cuts like "High Hawk Season" or "Love Love Love" (if you're at a show where they play "Best Ever Death Metal Band out of Denton" it's a pretty great experience). Everyone''s usually pretty into it. At one show he did stop in the middle of a song and tell a couple people on the balcony to STFU but they were definitely the exception rather than the rule.

The new album is actually really good. I was disappointed with Goths after hearing "Rain in Soho" only to find out that the rest of the tracks were just not something I could easily wrap my brain around all that well. But there's not a dud on the new album and a couple are really great tracks.

NPR has a first listen of it here if you want to check it out without committing real cash:

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/22/71440895 ... th-dragons
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 May 2019, 16:54

I bought it. Still working my way through, but I like Sicilian Crest right off. Done Bleeding too. The close with a trailing off Going Invisible was really solid.

Here's the setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-moun ... 0e849.html

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 May 2019, 18:24

That's a good setlist. I kinda figured Going Invisible 2 would be that kind of thing live.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR