Music for the Masses

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe

Re: Music for the Masses

Post by Kolohe » 15 Mar 2018, 13:08

Looking it up, I remember it from the Diet Coke commercial set on a airplane. But I never knew what it was called or who did it.

I also didn't realize until just now it was a dude singing.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 Mar 2018, 13:16

Kolohe wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 13:08
Looking it up, I remember it from the Diet Coke commercial set on a airplane. But I never knew what it was called or who did it.

I also didn't realize until just now it was a dude singing.
After hearing it for the nth time, I had to look up the name/artist so I could complain properly.

I only knew it was a dude because I've heard "On the Road Again" and "Going Up The Country" by Canned Heat enough times to recognize that sort of rock falsetto thing.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 Mar 2018, 13:53

Andrew wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 12:16
That "Feel it Still" song by Portugal the Man is fucking inescapable. The gym, yoga, grocery stores, coffee shops, restaurants... It's hard to believe the level of saturation it has reached.
Yeah, our bad. Who says you can't export WMDs?
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 15 Mar 2018, 14:16

Guess I don't get out enough, hadn't heard it. But after listening I'm not surprised it's a hit.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 15 Mar 2018, 15:07

That is one of the reasons I'm most glad to be done with physical therapy. The same 10 songs, every single time.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Mar 2018, 06:39

dead_elvis wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 14:16
Guess I don't get out enough, hadn't heard it. But after listening I'm not surprised it's a hit.
ditto
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 28 Mar 2018, 13:03

I obtained a version of the 23-CD Starless box set that King Crimson released, which is a bunch of concert recordings from 1973 when the band was Fripp, Bruford, Wetton, and Cross. The improv sections are fierce. Too much to listen to while I try to work. There's too much going on and the energy is manic.

I can listen to the Dead while I work, and their improv tends to mesh well with research and writing. Not KC. This stuff is a serious punch in the earballs. I can see why Fripp called this version of the band a flying brick wall.

Also, the energy is unreal. I greatly enjoyed the 8-piece King Crimson I saw last year, but those guys had half the intensity of the 1973 version (at best).

Here's a sample of what they sounded like:

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 28 Mar 2018, 15:51

Super neat. Wondering if I want to do that...
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 19 Apr 2018, 23:06

I've heard this at the gym a few times. This has got to be a contender for least necessary cover ever:

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 21 May 2018, 21:48

An unexpected gift dropped back on 4/20. Sleep apparently got back together and released a new album. Some fine Stoner/Doom.

Fav track so far is Giza Butler.

Lyrics are hilarious:

The Kiefsatz Hasherach now takes the Bong Jabbar
Rifftual commences 'round the tree stump altar
Bong Water of Life anoints the Muad' Doob messiah

(I think these guys do marijuana.)

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 May 2018, 07:10

Hashteroid!
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JD

Post by JD » 23 May 2018, 13:30

Saw Turbonegro at the Bowery Ballroom last night. Lots of fun if you like homoerotic Norwegian death-punk. Pretty rowdy; I took a beer to the face at one point. But it's all in good fun if you're into it.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 May 2018, 14:13

"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 May 2018, 20:07

Something I never knew: the original demo version of Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" was a slower ballad Martin Gore whipped up on a church organ. He was convinced to speed it up.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 May 2018, 21:16

People who like Phish should be hunted down and killed.

Jake

Post by Jake » 31 May 2018, 02:42

I'm digging this song.

"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 31 May 2018, 07:39

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
30 May 2018, 21:16
A buddy of mine is from Vermont and loves Phish. He's tried to get me into them and their music does nothing for me. I can listen to the Dead without ever getting tired of them, but Phish (and every other jam band) just sounds like crap to me.

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 May 2018, 12:46

Andrew wrote:
31 May 2018, 07:39
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
30 May 2018, 21:16
A buddy of mine is from Vermont and loves Phish. He's tried to get me into them and their music does nothing for me. I can listen to the Dead without ever getting tired of them, but Phish (and every other jam band) just sounds like crap to me.
Yeah, I don't know any of their songs. Don't actually know if I like their music. But their concerts were good parties back in the 90's
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 31 May 2018, 18:58

I liked the better elements of the jam period, especially middle Phish, Col Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit, and Blues Traveler. Most of the rest did little for me.

Phish actually did some interesting stuff in the Picture of Nectar and Rift period. And yeah the concerts were good parties, but probably would've been better if I'd been hep to weed or psychedelics at the time.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 May 2018, 20:40

lunchstealer wrote:
31 May 2018, 18:58
I liked the better elements of the jam period, especially middle Phish, Col Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit, and Blues Traveler. Most of the rest did little for me.

Phish actually did some interesting stuff in the Picture of Nectar and Rift period. And yeah the concerts were good parties, but probably would've been better if I'd been hep to weed or psychedelics at the time.
You didn't inhale? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Jun 2018, 00:37

Paul Simon started out a bit wobbly, but he found his voice, which would of course still be much improved by joining Garfunkel, and his backing musicians were excellent. The final encore "American Tune" and "Sounds of Silence" almost brought a tear to my eye.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 04 Jun 2018, 09:08

Violet Eves were one of the better euro-beat bands of the early to mid 80s.

This song is good and the product is sick (synth bass).

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 04 Jun 2018, 09:50

Dream Chimney has put out some really good mixes recently.

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JD

Post by JD » 07 Jun 2018, 18:09

The other day I was flipping through some albums (yes, actual vinyl) at a local store, and I ran across a compilation album called "Welcome to Zamrock! How Zambia's Liberation Led To a Rock Revolution, vol. 1, 1972-1977". I checked out some of it online, and it turns out that zamrock was basically this heavy psychedelia/garage rock - think Velvet Underground meets Deep Purple - not at all what you might immediately think on hearing "African rock".

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 13 Jun 2018, 18:59

Oh my, if they don't get Hollywood Steve to do schtick between each act then there is no god. And if they did, maybe I would actually try and go:

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/performances/373/

"These three ambassadors of contemporary pop take you on a journey of epic hits and legendary rock sounds. The rich baritone vocals of Michael McDonald, the footloose fun of Kenny Loggins, and the sensitive stylings of Christopher Cross make it a concert you won’t want to miss "
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."