Music for the Masses

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dbcooper

Re: Music for the Masses

Post by dbcooper »

I love how David Hungate looked like Newt Gingrich.

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

dbcooper wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 06:38 I love how David Hungate looked like Newt Gingrich.

Wow that's creepy, although in that photo he looks more like Phil Donohue.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

And is that mid 90's Prince Charles on the acoustic?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 12:15 And is that mid 90's Prince Charles on the acoustic?
Dunno but he's got very fine pants.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

lunchstealer wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 01:14
D.A. Ridgely wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 23:52 I don't dislike Collins' music. The songs he's best known for are way overproduced, typical for that era, but I don't grimace if one pops up on the radio.

Oh yeah, and I haven't watched the video and probably won't.
It's mildly cute. From a channel by a couple of kids who had their hearing surgically restored after being congenitally deaf, where they record themselves listening to various bits of music for the first time. Not earth shattering but less horrifying than a Sarah Cooper tiktok.
That video is great, and I like that the kids give respect where respect is due.
dhex

Post by dhex »

dead_elvis wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 22:21 I know, right? It's a national tragedy that this song is known at all among a generation that wasn't born yet when it came out. C'mon people, be responsible, the youngins are listening. Help them grow up in a world with less Phil Collins.
It's a dope song.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dhex wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 22:20
dead_elvis wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 22:21 I know, right? It's a national tragedy that this song is known at all among a generation that wasn't born yet when it came out. C'mon people, be responsible, the youngins are listening. Help them grow up in a world with less Phil Collins.
It's a dope song.
Yup. That album sounds great, and it has one of the all time angry divorced guy songs (I'm not leaving).
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dhex

Post by dhex »

Yo his channel... That's a lot of hours of bad music all jammed in there
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Next stop Chi town.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Every time I have to sign in here again (for some reason I keep getting booted off and am having to do this on the regular for the last few days) I check the box and this song pops into my head.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Highway

Post by Highway »

dead_elvis wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 13:26 Every time I have to sign in here again (for some reason I keep getting booted off and am having to do this on the regular for the last few days) I check the box and this song pops into my head.
You might try deleting your cookies for the site, it might be having trouble overwriting one, or be stuck with it not checked.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Highway

Post by Highway »

I've been listening to more Fountains of Wayne the last couple weeks. I don't know why I didn't seek out more of their albums before now, because the one album (Traffic and Weather) and singles of theirs I'd heard before always appealed to me, but I really like the cleverness of the music and lyrics, the power pop / lightish rock space they were in, the instrumentation and the harmonies. I also really like that Chris Collingwood's vocals are in the same range as me, so I can sing along and do covers.

And yeah, I love vocals like:

I know you'll deny it but
don't even try it
Your half-baked alibi's
so full of holes
I think you might want to stop
in at the donut shop
They might buy it, I sure won't.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dhex, pill me on Laibach. Were they just an elaborate piss-take?
dhex

Post by dhex »

Tldr yes absolutely.

Even in the days of subscribing to industrial nation there was no way to convince me that laibach wasn't a stupid giggle for chanting life ist life on your way to get disco fries after seeing spahn ranch and die krups at the batcave.

Eta: this doesn't mean some of the fashy stuff wasn't serious but it was industrial music it was all pretty heavy on fascist.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dhex wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 20:51 Tldr yes absolutely.

Even in the days of subscribing to industrial nation there was no way to convince me that laibach wasn't a stupid giggle for chanting life ist life on your way to get disco fries after seeing spahn ranch and die krups at the batcave.

Eta: this doesn't mean some of the fashy stuff wasn't serious but it was industrial music it was all pretty heavy on fascist.
Cool. The german language Queen "one world, one vision" cover was pretty amusing as far as gimmicks go.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Bigass Joints?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Looks like a job for The Letterman.jpg
Looks like a job for The Letterman.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 727 times
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dhex

Post by dhex »

Darren is right.