Music for the Masses

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: Music for the Masses

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Dec 2018, 13:05

dbcooper wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 11:06
In a just world, absolute shit like The Darkness would never have recorded an album and everybody would know Uncle Acid.
The Darkness were always just a novelty act, weren't they? I certainly haven't heard anything from them since 2002, maybe '03. Whenever "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" and "Giving Up" were released.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Dec 2018, 13:21

They put out an album last year. I like the one song they released ahead of time. But then I have always liked The Darkness. I don't know if they'd go into being a "novelty act", as much as they're going for a particular sound.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 13 Dec 2018, 14:01

Andrew wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 20:45
Painboy wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 19:24
I've always liked their sound but have always been up and down with most of their stuff. However, this new album I think they really nailed it. I dig almost all the songs on it. This one in particular.

Also I only found out a few months ago the singer is a dude. Kind of obvious in retrospect I guess.
I still need to listen to this album. I wasn't impressed by the first two tracks that showed up on yootoob. I really enjoy Blood Lust and Mind Control, but thought Night Creeper was a letdown. It'd be nice if this one is a recovery.

edit - and they're playing here in March. Sweet.
And here I thought I was the only UAatDB fan around. I've got tickets to see them in March too. I like all of their albums, but some of my favorites are off Night Creeper - "Melody Lane" is probably my #1 UA favorite, and "Death's Door", "Waiting For Blood", and "Pusher Man" are all strong IMHO.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Dec 2018, 12:06

Why is everyone suddenly losing their shit over Billie Eilish especially in a sexualized way she ok musically I guess but like 15. Lesbians seem to be all in? I don’t understand.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Dec 2018, 12:19

JasonL wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 12:06
Why is everyone suddenly losing their shit over Billie Eilish especially in a sexualized way she ok musically I guess but like 15. Lesbians seem to be all in? I don’t understand.
*googles*
Ewww. I thought we were done with fetishizing that pasty, sallow, heroin chic shit.
Yuck yuck yuck.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Dec 2018, 18:55

Warren wrote:
14 Dec 2018, 12:19
JasonL wrote:
*googles*
Ewww. I thought we were done with fetishizing that pasty, sallow, heroin chic shit.
Yuck yuck yuck.
Cynically? Novelty. Every once in a while, people just get tired of celebrity-crushing on adult musicians.

Meanwhile, damn. I've got MP3 files older than her. :D
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 15 Dec 2018, 20:36

JasonL wrote:
Maybe she's like the girl they always wanted to date in high school but never could.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Dec 2018, 05:47

And to be fair, she's 16. That's legal in most states.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 22 Jan 2019, 08:46

Australia's finest:

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JD

Post by JD » 22 Jan 2019, 09:45

Everybody is like "Frodo Baggins is the lead singer of Greta Van Fleet", but I watched with the sound on, and I think, no, it's more like Elijah Wood was doing an impression of Adam Sandler doing an impression of Robert Plant. And I am not alone in that impression either.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 29 Jan 2019, 14:16

Baby Woodrose is kind of like if Dave Wyndorf got locked in a room with a bottle of ether (i.e., Dave Wyndorf) and a stack of Amy Winehouse records.

JD

Post by JD » 06 Feb 2019, 08:11

(moving this post since we're really just onto music now)
Jennifer wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 20:02
Also, regarding another one of my old stripper-routine songs from the Elm Street 4 soundtrack (Therapist by Vigil) -- I discovered via Google the other day that it was nominated for a Razzie award, for worst original song on a movie soundtrack. Of the three songs on that disc which I regularly used for dancing -- Under the Night Stars, Therapist, and Angel by Love/Hate -- Angel is the only one that wouldn't embarrass me to be caught listening to now. (And in all cases, it's not even the music itself that's the problem, but what snippets of the lyrics are clearly audible during a casual listening.)

Love/Hate was not bad. I am still rather fond of "Blackout In the Red Room", which I'm sure has been danced to by millions of strippers.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Feb 2019, 14:18

Huh, I don't think I've heard that song before; the riff does not ring a bell. But Love/Hate is another band I only know of due to that soundtrack (which I never would've bought had I known the "Hands on Me" song from the movie was NOT on it).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Feb 2019, 11:49

"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Feb 2019, 15:23

I been feeling Xymox since a conversation last night about constructing a darkwave play list.