Music for the Masses

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe

Re: Music for the Masses

Post by Kolohe » 15 Mar 2018, 13:08

Looking it up, I remember it from the Diet Coke commercial set on a airplane. But I never knew what it was called or who did it.

I also didn't realize until just now it was a dude singing.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 Mar 2018, 13:16

Kolohe wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 13:08
Looking it up, I remember it from the Diet Coke commercial set on a airplane. But I never knew what it was called or who did it.

I also didn't realize until just now it was a dude singing.
After hearing it for the nth time, I had to look up the name/artist so I could complain properly.

I only knew it was a dude because I've heard "On the Road Again" and "Going Up The Country" by Canned Heat enough times to recognize that sort of rock falsetto thing.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 Mar 2018, 13:53

Andrew wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 12:16
That "Feel it Still" song by Portugal the Man is fucking inescapable. The gym, yoga, grocery stores, coffee shops, restaurants... It's hard to believe the level of saturation it has reached.
Yeah, our bad. Who says you can't export WMDs?
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 15 Mar 2018, 14:16

Guess I don't get out enough, hadn't heard it. But after listening I'm not surprised it's a hit.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 15 Mar 2018, 15:07

That is one of the reasons I'm most glad to be done with physical therapy. The same 10 songs, every single time.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Mar 2018, 06:39

dead_elvis wrote:
15 Mar 2018, 14:16
Guess I don't get out enough, hadn't heard it. But after listening I'm not surprised it's a hit.
ditto
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 28 Mar 2018, 13:03

I obtained a version of the 23-CD Starless box set that King Crimson released, which is a bunch of concert recordings from 1973 when the band was Fripp, Bruford, Wetton, and Cross. The improv sections are fierce. Too much to listen to while I try to work. There's too much going on and the energy is manic.

I can listen to the Dead while I work, and their improv tends to mesh well with research and writing. Not KC. This stuff is a serious punch in the earballs. I can see why Fripp called this version of the band a flying brick wall.

Also, the energy is unreal. I greatly enjoyed the 8-piece King Crimson I saw last year, but those guys had half the intensity of the 1973 version (at best).

Here's a sample of what they sounded like:

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 28 Mar 2018, 15:51

Super neat. Wondering if I want to do that...
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 19 Apr 2018, 23:06

I've heard this at the gym a few times. This has got to be a contender for least necessary cover ever: