Music for the Masses

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
the innominate one

Music for the Masses

Post by the innominate one » 15 Sep 2011, 19:06

Not to be limited to Depeche Mode by any means.

Music you like, for those of a slightly less...adventurous, shall we say, sense of musical sensibility than dhex and dbcooper. Styx, yes. grindcore (whatever that is), no. Zappa, even. Stravinsky's Rite of Spring (which I quite like) should be the outer (or perhaps the outre) limit.

Here's a song with a good beat and you can dance to it, Dick. I give it an 8.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

JasonL

Re: Music for the Masses

Post by JasonL » 15 Sep 2011, 19:29

Random MFTM thought - I have never been able to explain my hatred for the Beatles.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 Sep 2011, 19:31

JasonL wrote:Random MFTM thought - I have never been able to explain my hatred for the Beatles.
We're gonna need a bigger boat thread for that one.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 15 Sep 2011, 19:31

All of them collectively, or any ones in particular? It's Ringo, isn't it?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Sep 2011, 19:36

JasonL wrote:Random MFTM thought - I have never been able to explain my hatred for the Beatles.
How do you feel about Elvis?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Sep 2011, 19:37

Hugh Akston wrote:
How do you feel about Elvis?
Meh+

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Sep 2011, 19:40

i'm with you on that, though i don't hate them, just don't care for them.

elvis is ok enough. that junkie xl "cover" of "a little less conversation" needs to die in a fire.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Sep 2011, 19:55

This should perhaps be admitted only in Other Places, but ... It doesn't seem like enough to avoid listening to them. I want to build an empire so I ca sell it all and use the funds to construct a time machine so I can slap them with those haircuts doing that head bob.

Is that wrong?

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Sep 2011, 19:59

JasonL wrote:This should perhaps be admitted only in Other Places, but ... It doesn't seem like enough to avoid listening to them. I want to build an empire so I ca sell it all and use the funds to construct a time machine so I can slap them with those haircuts doing that head bob.

Is that wrong?
No. "She loves you yeah, yeah, yeah" is the most annoying thing ever. (well it isn't, but it's pretty bad)
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 15 Sep 2011, 20:53

I also hate the Beatles. Partially out of spite.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Sep 2011, 21:37

Some Gene Clark:

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Sep 2011, 21:45

I think I'd be okay with the Beatles if it wasn't for those kinds of Beatles fans that won't shut about them. The UNC/Duke fans of the music world.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 15 Sep 2011, 23:54

The fans, yeah, but they just don't play their instruments or sing well. And not in a "purposefully ironically bad" a la insert-90s-pseudogrunge-here but in a "We think we're awesome!" kind of way. When I hear their music covered by others, it's often not bad. Though everything from their bubble gum days is pretty much dead to me.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 16 Sep 2011, 00:00

Sandy wrote:The fans, yeah, but they just don't play their instruments or sing well. And not in a "purposefully ironically bad" a la insert-90s-pseudogrunge-here but in a "We think we're awesome!" kind of way. When I hear their music covered by others, it's often not bad. Though everything from their bubble gum days is pretty much dead to me.
In terms of okayness, I mean being okay with rather than moderate dislike. I have a greatest hits album of theirs and listening to it was a chore. Them and U2. Boring. (except Sunday, Bloody Sunday. I like that one.)

Also, I remember the factoid that ABBA outsold the Beatles (while ABBA was still together, the Beatles have outsold them since). This strikes me as proper, as ABBA actually has some fun songs.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Sep 2011, 00:14

The Beatles are kinda eh, for me. They have a lot of good songwriting, but I think being by "The Beatles!" weighs all the songs down with tons of baggage about, well, The Beatles. So you can't just listen to the song, you have to do all this analysis, and thinking about when they made it and blah blah blah (and that goes back to those fans).

I love ABBA. Their Greatest Hits albums were some of the first albums I got. I like their songs even more now, understanding some of them better, like The Winner Takes It All, and hearing more of their kinda cheesier songs, like When I Kissed the Teacher and I Am the City.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 16 Sep 2011, 02:38

I'm one of those Beatles fans, except I rarely talk about it (except to my sig ot, pity her soul).

I know what you mean about shit like that ruining it for you. The very first time I heard the Talking Heads it was when a friend told me about them and he told me they were geniuses before he even put the record on and he was bragging about how good their sound was for a first record and it all annoyed me so much I've never been able to listen to them objectively since.

The Beatles mythos adds to their shtick for me. But then, I got into it on my own. Or at least thought I did, heh.

I like it that the Taliban identified them as the beginning of the downfall of Western Civilization.

But whatever, hate -- or meh -- away. Y'all sure don't have to think the same as me or anyone else. But then, that's why I hate talking about music, especially in a group like this. It's like talking politics with Reds or Blues. You gotta have something to connect on before it's even worth it. With all we disagree with politically or on whatever social issues, we have a few certain connections that make it worth it to at least have the discussion. Worth it in a personally satisfying way, not having an effect on the world way. But music, aesthetics? It's all hit and miss at best here.

A lot of people who know me would probably be surprised I like the Beatles a lot, since I play punk rock and feature homemade experimental and outsider stuff on my radio show. (I dabble in the genre known as "noise".) A lot of those same people would be surprised I watch and follow the Denver Broncos, too (gawd they wretch). Oh well, can't worry about that.

For simple agreeable ear candy, I love girl groups of the early sixties. And all the old shit from the 50's and 60's, like what they play on WFMU. It's fucking amazing how much obscure stuff they can play from that era(s?) that I really love that I'd never heard of before. And a lot of the popular stuff from then too, I like a lot. Sometimes I think the Beatles ruined pop music by amping it up the way they did. Well they didn't do it by themselves of course. But they kinda started it. Well barf and/or close your ears to them on my account. Just sayin' what I think. But it's true enough I often think I like the pop music from before them the most. And shortly after, too.

Oh well, whatever. Carry on.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 16 Sep 2011, 05:34

Music for the Masses, eh? ;)

(16th century Catalan hymn.)
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 16 Sep 2011, 06:53

fyodor wrote:I like it that the Taliban identified them as the beginning of the downfall of Western Civilization.
I thought it was William F Buckley, Jr.?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Sep 2011, 07:53

A song I heard on a replay of American Top 40 (they play one every sunday night on the local Jack FM station) that I hadn't heard when it was out, but found really catchy and interesting. It's a lot like their other more popular songs tho.

The Alan Parson's Project - Prime Time (and thankfully the embed thumbnail frame isn't the same as the search page)

"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Sep 2011, 09:55

So fyodor was just a schoolboy when he heard his first Beatles' song?
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Warty

Post by Warty » 16 Sep 2011, 10:40

Almost all of my music is instantly disqualified from this thread, but I always liked The Afghan Whigs.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 16 Sep 2011, 11:12

I'm not sure what qualifies or disqualifies music from this thread. Is my collection of Collide and Switchblade Symphony too obscure? Are we limiting to stuff played on the radio?

Anyhow, I will confess a sneaking fondness for all kinds of horrible pop music. Gordon Lightfoot, Ace Of Base, and Katy Perry are three that come to mind immediately. I gave up trying to worry about my horribly indiscriminate taste in music years ago. As a result, there's something for almost everyone in my music collection.

Side note: I broke down and got a new 160gB iPod. I can fit the entire ripped collection on it right now. Being able to take my music collection everywhere I go is definitely the future I was promised.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Sep 2011, 12:09

Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind" just has a wonderful emotional content to it. It just seems so "It's over, we tried, and it just won't work, and there's no sugar-coating or ignoring it."

I think everyone has a music collection like that. Those things that people call 'guilty pleasures', that there's really no reason to be guilty about! If you like it, you like it. And you might like one song by a group, and not want to listen to absolutely everything else they do. I listen to so much 'bad music'. But I like it.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 Sep 2011, 13:53

Agreed Highway. I've got a number of John Denver songs in my playlists because they bring me back to when I was a kid riding around in the back of a station wagon packed with camping gear and cousins and summer was endless.
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 16 Sep 2011, 14:56

Jasper wrote:So fyodor was just a schoolboy when he heard his first Beatles' song?
"Love Me Do" I think it was. And from there it didn't take him long.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.