You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by JD » 07 Sep 2011, 14:45

I never knew that. According to the Infallible Wikipedia, the changeover was at least partly prompted by wartime restrictions. (As though we needed another reason to hate Krugman!)
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Sep 2011, 15:40

Andrew wrote:
Ayn_Randian wrote:"The 3 MUSKETEERS® Bar takes its name from the original design of the product, which was three pieces and three flavors: vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry"

Via Snopes and the Mars website.
I heard that a long time ago, and since then I have always wondered what the hell strawberry nougat tastes like.
You can still get strawberry nougat in chocolate assortments. It tastes about like what you think it would taste like.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 07 Sep 2011, 16:09

today is the 75th anniversary of the extinction of the thylacine

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Sep 2011, 17:59

JasonL wrote:
Jadagul wrote:I apparently have no idea how many calories basic foods contain. Whole wheat flour has more than three times as many calories per ounce as raw chicken? What the hell?
Surprise!
So, being at Teh Evil Fiziks Lair I decided to have dinner at a place that gives you a receipt showing how many calories, fat, proteins, etc. you consumed in your meal.

My roll contained more calories than the salad with seared tuna. I think it contained almost as many calories as the frozen yogurt with strawberries.

There shall be no roll tonight.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Sep 2011, 19:57

Someone at work said there's such a thing as a 'pimpfish' (related to the several species of rockfish) but the real internet is turning up empty
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Sep 2011, 00:29

Isaac Bartram wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Jadagul wrote:If my diet were 100% beans then I'd wind up with 140g of protein a day on a 2000 kcal diet, and I'm supposed to be shooting for 160g.
I suspect that a 100% bean diet would have some undesirable side effects for your social life.
Agreed, but my girlfriend is dealing with the same issue.

I have whey protein powder. Which I'm using. Though I just started in on a new one and it tastes nasty. Very sad.

I guess my point was that I almost literally can't eat any carbs at all if I want to keep the protein intake up. Which I suppose is an added bonus...
To get protein from beans you need to eat them with a whole grain. EG beans and rice.

If you eat too much beans and rice, your triglycerides will go sky high. That, I know.
Well, that's if you ONLY want to get your protein from beans and grains. Beans and rice contain a complementary set of amino acids, meaning you can get a complete set of dietary protein from that combination, without any other sources of protein. However, if you also eat some chicken or fish or beef or eggs or dairy or similar stuff, then you do not need the rice. Indeed there are probably a number of protein sources that you could pair with beans that would allow you to exclude simple grain-based starches. The beans will not make your triglycerides go sky-high, that's the rice's effect.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram » 08 Sep 2011, 00:41

lunchstealer wrote:
Isaac Bartram wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Jadagul wrote:If my diet were 100% beans then I'd wind up with 140g of protein a day on a 2000 kcal diet, and I'm supposed to be shooting for 160g.
I suspect that a 100% bean diet would have some undesirable side effects for your social life.
Agreed, but my girlfriend is dealing with the same issue.

I have whey protein powder. Which I'm using. Though I just started in on a new one and it tastes nasty. Very sad.

I guess my point was that I almost literally can't eat any carbs at all if I want to keep the protein intake up. Which I suppose is an added bonus...
To get protein from beans you need to eat them with a whole grain. EG beans and rice.

If you eat too much beans and rice, your triglycerides will go sky high. That, I know.
Well, that's if you ONLY want to get your protein from beans and grains. Beans and rice contain a complementary set of amino acids, meaning you can get a complete set of dietary protein from that combination, without any other sources of protein. However, if you also eat some chicken or fish or beef or eggs or dairy or similar stuff, then you do not need the rice. Indeed there are probably a number of protein sources that you could pair with beans that would allow you to exclude simple grain-based starches. The beans will not make your triglycerides go sky-high, that's the rice's effect.
Yes, I know. Trouble is I really like rice and I miss not eating it as often as I used too.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Sep 2011, 09:59

Jadagul wrote:JD: heh, good point.

Andrew/TIO: well, was thinking more gladiator. But right idea--to wear a Halloween costume that doesn't really involve a shirt.
Easy. Just go as Matthew McConauthey.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Sep 2011, 14:20

Or as Randy from Trailer Park Boys:

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 09 Sep 2011, 13:20

No fewer than 18 commanding officers in the US Navy have been fired this year, the latest for firing on a fishing boat that he mistook for a gunnery target. (No hits, nobody injured.) Apparently last year it was 17. That sounds like a lot, but I dunno - maybe it's normal numbers. Also, while it sounds bad, maybe it just means that commanders who screw up are being quickly axed.

Also, I had no idea that you were allowed to smoke on a US Navy submarine until the end of last year.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 14 Sep 2011, 10:25

The Roman Empire and Imperial (Han) China were vaguely aware of each others' existence, and may have even sent envoys to each other.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Sep 2011, 10:32

JD wrote:The Roman Empire and Imperial (Han) China were vaguely aware of each others' existence, and may have even sent envoys to each other.
Hans across the seas?

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 14 Sep 2011, 10:40

JD wrote:No fewer than 18 commanding officers in the US Navy have been fired this year, the latest for firing on a fishing boat that he mistook for a gunnery target. (No hits, nobody injured.) Apparently last year it was 17. That sounds like a lot, but I dunno - maybe it's normal numbers. Also, while it sounds bad, maybe it just means that commanders who screw up are being quickly axed.

Also, I had no idea that you were allowed to smoke on a US Navy submarine until the end of last year.
There was a big article in the Military Times about how the Navy is just going apeshit on its commanders. This is not normal.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Sep 2011, 12:51

Yeah, well, firing on a boatful of innocent American fishermen is a pretty big deal. You wanna shoot at non-combatants who can't shoot back, wait until you're in the Middle East.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 14 Sep 2011, 12:55

Jennifer wrote:Yeah, well, firing on a boatful of innocent American fishermen is a pretty big deal. You wanna shoot at non-combatants who can't shoot back, wait until you're in the Middle East.
Unless you work for the police.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jake

Post by Jake » 14 Sep 2011, 13:22

Sandy wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Yeah, well, firing on a boatful of innocent American fishermen is a pretty big deal. You wanna shoot at non-combatants who can't shoot back, wait until you're in the Middle East.
And that's how "Separation of Powers" works!
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Sep 2011, 13:28

FYI the soy bean is a whole protein and almost no other plant thing is. It is better to use soy than whey where you can get away with it, but there's nothing wrong with whey protein. A six pack is in part genetic some people simply don't show ribbed abdomen musculature even at very low body fat. Think of the classic distance runner torso - a muscle sheet would be a better description. Most people show a 4 pack at low body fat. To strive for a six pack, you need incredibly tight dietary control. The people who know how to do this are the gross bodybuilder types and fitness models and such. They go on special diets for a few weeks leading up to the competition or photo shoot. There is a two week diet behind every shirtless scene in Hollywood. People who look like that walking around are few and far between and mostly gifted by Zeus in addition to being active and eating right.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 Sep 2011, 14:31

Ayn_Randian wrote:
JD wrote:No fewer than 18 commanding officers in the US Navy have been fired this year, the latest for firing on a fishing boat that he mistook for a gunnery target. (No hits, nobody injured.) Apparently last year it was 17. That sounds like a lot, but I dunno - maybe it's normal numbers. Also, while it sounds bad, maybe it just means that commanders who screw up are being quickly axed.

There was a big article in the Military Times about how the Navy is just going apeshit on its commanders. This is not normal.
I may have said this before, but here's my half-assed theory-

As A-R says, it's not normal, and has been ticking up for a few years. The guys (and gals) that are CO's now are of my generation - that is, the first entirely post-Cold War group of officers. The 90's were marked by a) not recruiting many people to begin with because of the post-Cold War drawdown b) a booming economy by the end of the decade that motivated a heck of lot of people to get out after their initial commitment.

So the Navy (and the Army and the rest) were left in the 2000's with whomever was left. In my field, in my year group and on either side (i.e. people that got commision in a given Fiscal Year), if you simply stayed in, and out of a DUI, you had the cummulative probablity of approx (.6)*(.8) = almost 50/50 of being a CO. I believe the other fields are similar.

When half the people can gain command just by sticking around, you don't have a very selective process anymore.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Sep 2011, 15:32

That makes sense and sounds plausible, Kolohe. My dad was career Navy -- 24 or 26 years, retiring as a command master chief in 1987 or '88, the last couple years of the Cold War (though nobody realized it at the time). I remember, as a kid, thinking he and my mom really, really hated some guy named "Graham Rudman" for making Dad a tad concerned about future money prospects (at first I thought Mr. Rudman must be an "exo," the guy on every ship whose job is to be evil, but later figured out G.R. must be somebody in the government), but still, Dad and most of his immediate colleagues were nuke submariners, and none of them ever blew up or got irradiated, so I'd guess they all had to meet some pretty freaking high standards just to get where they were. (I'm talking about the chiefs and petty officers here. Commissioned officers, of course, were still mostly clueless, incompetent and out-of-touch, especially the exoes.)

I'd guess nuclear subs play far less of a role in today's Navy than they did in the Cold War, though.

Back then I'd also heard the Air Force had the reputation of being one of the best branches as far as treatment of personnel is concerned, far different from today where the USAF, especially the academy, seems to be taken over by evangelicals.

Shem

Post by Shem » 14 Sep 2011, 22:39

Jake wrote:
Sandy wrote:
I was going to go with "The Aristocrats."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 15 Sep 2011, 00:12

Shem wrote:
Jake wrote:
Sandy wrote:
I was going to go with "The Aristocrats."
Rule 34.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 Sep 2011, 00:18

JasonL wrote: There is a two week diet behind every shirtless scene in Hollywood.
And steroids.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Sep 2011, 00:27

Andrew wrote:
JasonL wrote: There is a two week diet behind every shirtless scene in Hollywood.
And steroids.
Agreed, but I think the word "diet" should be replaced by "fast", except for a few like Van Damme, Bruce Lee and other fitness fanatics.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

JD

Post by JD » 15 Sep 2011, 11:21

Kolohe wrote:So the Navy (and the Army and the rest) were left in the 2000's with whomever was left. In my field, in my year group and on either side (i.e. people that got commision in a given Fiscal Year), if you simply stayed in, and out of a DUI, you had the cummulative probablity of approx (.6)*(.8) = almost 50/50 of being a CO. I believe the other fields are similar.
I wonder if this is related - here's an article on "star creep" in the military, the fact that the number of flag and general officers is increasing even as the overall size of the military is decreasing:
http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2011/ ... p-091411w/

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Sep 2011, 11:28

JD wrote:
Kolohe wrote:So the Navy (and the Army and the rest) were left in the 2000's with whomever was left. In my field, in my year group and on either side (i.e. people that got commision in a given Fiscal Year), if you simply stayed in, and out of a DUI, you had the cummulative probablity of approx (.6)*(.8) = almost 50/50 of being a CO. I believe the other fields are similar.
I wonder if this is related - here's an article on "star creep" in the military, the fact that the number of flag and general officers is increasing even as the overall size of the military is decreasing:
http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2011/ ... p-091411w/
Shit. The military really is like a university, only less likely to leave an 18 year-old mired in debt.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem