You Learn Something New Every Day

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: You Learn Something New Every Day

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 14:04
Probably better to call it a civil engineering disaster.

The time of failure must have been amazingly short given the height of the breach flow, although I wish the article had given an estimate of the flow rate, not just a height.

Currently I'm working on the delegation of "small pond" review authority in our state, but large dams are not involved in that (thank goodness). Ours are only hazard class 'a' dams, failure of which is unlikely to result in loss of life or property damage. But even with that, the scrutiny and oversight of all dams is being increased due to the catastrophic nature of their failure.
You might want to watch Forgotten Tragedy: The Story of the St Francis Dam currently available on Amazon Prime. Not a great documentary as far as watchability goes. But it has a lot more information.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

I saw a TV show about the "Satanic Ritual Abuse" panic and the Keller case in Texas, and it inspired me to do a little research, and I found something really interesting I'd never heard of before that some people have pointed to as kicking off the whole SRA and recovered-memory debacle.

In 1980, psychiatrist Dr. Lawrence Pazder and Michelle Smith published the "nonfiction" book Michelle Remembers, which uncritically reported on Michelle Smith's "recovered memories" of being horrifically abused by a Satanic cult, one of the first modern works on the topic. Despite a complete lack of corroborating evidence, Pazder and Smith presented all this as completely factual. And within a few years, people were seeing Satanic child-abusing cults everywhere...

Pazder apparently believed (assuming he was sincere) that Smith "couldn't" have just been a disturbed person who was conflating things she'd seen with her memories, but given the cultural environment of the times, it seems like something she might easily have picked up elsewhere. Consider:
- 1968: Rosemary's Baby
- 1973: The Exorcist
- 1976: The Omen
- 1976/77: Michelle Smith claims she was abused by a Satanic cult as a child
- 1980: Michelle Remembers is published
- 1983: the McMartin preschool case is filed
It's like a damn connect-the-dots drawing.
Last edited by JD on 06 Jan 2020, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 12:04
Despite a complete lack of corroborating evidence, Pazder and Smith presented all this as completely factual.
Which is why psychology is taught by the Liberal Arts Department.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Warren, are you repressing memories of a liberal arts student touching you? Or not touching you?
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I was under the impression that the word ginormous was the invention of a Will Ferrell movie, but Mr Webster says it was a bit of British military slang dating back to the war.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 12:55
Warren, are you repressing memories of a liberal arts student touching you? Or not touching you?
I think we all know the liberal arts never laid a glove on Warren.

Jake

Post by Jake »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 12:19
The biggest man-made disaster of 20th century America was Donald Trump.
You take that back! He'll tell you himself: he's a self-made disaster! ;)
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

JD

Post by JD »

Hugh Akston wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 21:26
I was under the impression that the word ginormous was the invention of a Will Ferrell movie, but Mr Webster says it was a bit of British military slang dating back to the war.
Interesting: https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... us%3B%2Cc0
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

The gas leak at DuPont's plant in Bhopal India killed like four times as many people as that. That seems like a man-made disaster to me, but what do I know?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

Well you don't know when a new page starts or that after three days the thread has drifted that's for shit sure. :P
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Your last post about the disasters topic was on this page. Jake posted about the disasters topic six posts and less than two days after your post. My post was two posts and less than 12 hours after Jake's.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

There was a civilian airliner (as in, the same individual plane) that was shot at twice by military forces. (Though the first time might have been deliberate, i.e. not a target misidentification)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kweilin ... #Chungking
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD »

A calque is when a term from one language is adopted into another by translating the individual words, like "marche aux puces" -> "flea market", or "skyscraper" -> "rascacielos".

But something I was not familiar with is phono-semantic matching, in which both the term's meaning and its phonology from its parent language are approximated in the borrowing language. For example, the Mandarin for "world wide web" is wàn wéi wǎng, which means "myriad dimensional net", and the Mandarin for "sonar" is shēngnà, which means, loosely, "receiving sound".

JD

Post by JD »

There once was a powerful country that built a 1000-mile barrier to try and prevent smuggling, and it didn't work, as people found holes in it, or climbed over it, or just threw things over it.

The country was Great Britain, and the barrier was to prevent the smuggling of salt from one side of India to the other.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Slightly disappointing bit of linguistic trivia: in British English, the word "bedsit" refers to a living arrangement which an American would call "SRO/single-room occupancy" or "room in a boardinghouse" (if not for the fact that "snob zoning" laws have basically outlawed such affordable accommodations in most of the United States): basically, you have your own private room, but not your own private bathing, toilet and kitchen facilities; these are shared among all residents of the building.

During the spoken-word part of "Nights in White Satin," when the man says "Bedsitter people look back and lament / another day's useless energy spent" ... I've been hearing that song since before I was old enough to form long-term memories, and I'd always figured "bedsitter people" referred to sick or injured folks lamenting the fact that they're confined to their beds all day (and NOT for the sort of pleasant romantic activities implied by other lyrics of that song) -- but no, it refers to people in living arrangements popular with The Poors. The same lyric written by a contemporary American might say "Trailer-park dwellers look back and lament."

Nights in White Satin remains a beautiful song, but I liked it a tiny bit more when I thought a certain lyric was expressing sympathy for the bedridden.

ETA: A friend of mine who's a UK native says there was no stigma attached to bedsits in the UK, the way there are stigmas attached to certain po'folks housing in the US.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo »

St Johns Canada is closer to Rome than it is to Victoria Canada.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jennifer wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 18:33
ETA: A friend of mine who's a UK native says there was no stigma attached to bedsits in the UK, the way there are stigmas attached to certain po'folks housing in the US.
Given the stigma that exists WRT council housing in the UK, I suspect that's not a universal take, there. Not unless there are young "public school" graduates living there out of university.
Last edited by Eric the .5b on 03 Feb 2020, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Mo wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 18:07
Something Canadians constantly have to explain when visiting Europe and Asia when they meet someone who asks "I have a cousin in Canada, do you know him?"

(This is the one thing that USIANS get better than Europeans - they understand distances in North America are huge compared to Europe.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 19:30
Mo wrote:
Something Canadians constantly have to explain when visiting Europe and Asia when they meet someone who asks "I have a cousin in Canada, do you know him?"

(This is the one thing that USIANS get better than Europeans - they understand distances in North America are huge compared to Europe.)
Yeah it's big. But there's only like seventeen people living in it right?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Warren wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 19:50
Aresen wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 19:30
Mo wrote:

Yeah it's big. But there's only like seventeen people living in it right?
Only if you count the immigrants.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 18:45
Jennifer wrote:
Given the stigma that exists WRT council housing in the UK, I suspect that's not a universal take, there. Not unless there are young "public school" graduates living there out of university.
But council housing is tax-subsidizes whereas bedsits aren't, which may account for the discrepancy. (Also, he said bedsits have largely disappeared Britain, similar to how SROs have largely gone from America.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Jennifer wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 21:02
Eric the .5b wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
But council housing is tax-subsidizes whereas bedsits aren't, which may account for the discrepancy. (Also, he said bedsits have largely disappeared Britain, similar to how SROs have largely gone from America.)
That latter factor sounds more relevant.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo »

Eric the .5b wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
The stigma attached to council housing depends on the specific council housing. And my experience seems to be that the stigma is significantly less than the projects.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Mo wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 05:08
Eric the .5b wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
The stigma attached to council housing depends on the specific council housing. And my experience seems to be that the stigma is significantly less than the projects.
Largely, I suspect, because the stigma is already built into their class system. How many people who went to "public schools" and uni end up living in council housing as opposed to the working class or post-Empire immigrants from non EU nations? (That's to say that, as far as I can tell, the divide between working class and middle class in Britain remains far more rigid and well defined than in the U.S.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

New (and morbid) thing learned: for much of the 19th century, at least among speakers of British English, dentures were often called "Waterloo teeth." This is because a primary source for dentures was real teeth from other humans, preferably those who were young and healthy when they died, and a prime source for such teeth was battlefields after the fight. So many dentures were made from the mouths of those who fell at Waterloo that the term "Waterloo teeth" caught on and held on long after the supply of actual Waterloo teeth had been depleted.